upping calories?

Options
ok so i just changed my goal settings to lb a week and it increased my calories by about 300, has anyone lost more weight by increasing their calorie intake? i am lucky if i lose a half pound a week right now and my goals were set to 1 & 1/2 pounds per week. Just wondering if this worked for anyone?

Replies

• robynbirdy
    robynbirdy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes. I purposely upped my calories by 200 because I could not handle 1200 calories a day. I ended up losing more by eating more. It does work. If you don't see results you could always manually change it to a lower calorie goal as long as you don't go below 1200.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Before I joined MFP I was following another diet plan, when my weight loss stalled a friend suggested MFP. When I punched an average day of the plan into my diary I found that my cals were around the 1100 mark. I was surprised to find that MFP gave me an allowance of 1430 cals, but when I started eating all of them the weight began to shift again. There is definitely such a thing as too few caolories.
  • AmericanNewfie
    Options
    You didn't mention if you are working out or not. If you aren't, you need to incorporate 20 minutes 5 days a week of cardio, at minimum.
    Here are some quick tips for healthy weight loss:
    If it doesn't go bad within 2 weeks, don't eat it! (Except Nuts)
    Keep your sodium under 2000mg a day.
    Eat .75-1g of protein (lean) for every lb you currently are. (140lbs=140g)
    Whole Grains ONLY & limit them to the equivilent of 3 slices of bread a day before 6PM.
    3 meals/ day and 3 snacks for a total of 6x per day. Think grazing!
    Stock up on veggies and ditch a majority of fruit. Veggies=Fiber Fruit=sugar.

Upping your calories will not help you loose weight unless you were eating under 1200/day. Eating properly, with the right excercise and you'll be dropping 2 lbs easily. Oh, and trust me, it sounds hard but once you get started, it's not bad at all and I am a HUGE procastinator!!!

Good luck!
  • mskrissytina74
    Options
    YES, YES, YES!!! I was frustrated because I was not loosing and I was STRICT about my 1200 calories (or eating less) and then I just stopped loosing for about two weeks. I read some posts that made sense and I have now upped my calories to about 1350-1450 and I am back to loosing 1.5 pounds a week! I agree with the above posts!

Here are some handy threads to read! I am sending them to alot of people because I didn't realize the impact of not eating enough until I read these! Good luck!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • zakku1
    zakku1 Posts: 32
    Options
    YES! I am 4'11'' and I had put into another app that I wanted to lose 1.5 pounds a week, so it had me eating 1100-1000 calories a day. I would keep messing up because that amount of calories is disheartening, and I wouldn't have enough energy to feel really motivated to exercise. MFP doesn't want me to go below 1200, and I thought that would be too many calories but so far the weight is dropping off past my usual stall-get disappointed-eat up 10 pounds point.
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    My calories are set to 1260 then I exercise about 450 calories. I always eat my 1260 and at least 200 of my exercise calories and I have averaged a pound to 2 pounds a week. Have lost 10 pounds in 5 weeks, 25 more to go!
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I did! :) I was at plateau for about a month from eating 1000-1150 calories a day (and I had been doing that for MONTHS). I figured it couldn't hurt to see what would happen if I bumped it up. I wasn't losing anyways, you know? So, I bumped my calories up to 1300 a day and lost 4 pounds that week! The next week at 1300, I lost a little more than a pound. I tried upping my calories to 1400 last week and maintained. I think that might have to do with the fact I was slacking on my exercise though. Haha. I say go for it!
  • rdy2begin
    Options
    I just recently upped my cals and have already lost 2 more lbs ..other than the 6 that is stated but waiting to log it at the 28 th of this month(weigh in day) But it does work ..I was what i felt like starvation mode I do drink a lot more water and walk 30 mins everyday on the TM but I workout 5 days a week !! So my experience is a positive to upped cals
  • misty1208
    Options
    I was stuck for several days and everyone kept telling me to up my calories. Once i upped them i lost weight right away. :) Good luck.