Agave Nectar?

Options
I have this product in my house and have heard great things about it! Especially how is doesn't spike your blood sugar, like other items do. I'd like to hear others thoughts on this....

Thanks!

Replies

• tneeland
    tneeland Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love it... I make homemade BBQ sauce with it!!
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    i bought this a while back to use instead of honey, but then read that its not as good as we think, its still pure sugar, :sad:
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    It's the best type of sweetener you can buy, except for maybe stevia, which is uber-expensive and is granular as opposed to liquid. Yes, it's still sugar, but it's less processed and refined with a much lower glycemic index. Just being "sugar" isn't bad. Think of it as the difference between eating white rice - overly processed and not that great for you and brown rice (much better choice). Agave nectar is a staple in raw foods, and many vegans and vegetarians have now switched over to it. As long as you're not sucking down half a bottle a day, there's no reason not to use it.

I've been reading some of the articles, but I'm sticking with agave (and stevia) for now. Since I only use a tablespoon or two every few weeks, I don't worry about it. I know some of the places that process it aren't great, and there was some controversy with some plants a couple years ago, but I really wonder how much of this is true and how much is just negative propaganda to put people back on sugar.
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    It's the best type of sweetener you can buy, except for maybe stevia, which is uber-expensive and is granular as opposed to liquid. Yes, it's still sugar, but it's less processed and refined with a much lower glycemic index. Just being "sugar" isn't bad. Think of it as the difference between eating white rice - overly processed and not that great for you and brown rice (much better choice). Agave nectar is a staple in raw foods, and many vegans and vegetarians have now switched over to it. As long as you're not sucking down half a bottle a day, there's no reason not to use it.

Correct! Thanks for pointing all that out :)
  • tarjake
    tarjake Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    um in texas we call that tequela:tongue:
  • jennlee80
    Options
    I have truvia and like it! I hear so many mixed things about this product. And countless articles with "pros" and
    "cons."
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    I just bought some, then found out there's a huge controversy over whether it is a better sweetener than sugar. I don't really like honey, and I wanted something that bakes better than stevia, so I will use what I bought, following the same philosophy I use toward sugar; in moderation and as part of an otherwise healthy diet, this won't hurt me.
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I love agave in the sense that I notice I don't have a sugar low afterwards....however....it's high in calories. So I've switched to Stevia which is a natural product unlike Splenda which is chemical altered...

The good thing about not having an insulin spike is that it doesn't participate in the craving cycle like most sugars.
  • emmascott
    Options
    I use and really like it, but, it is chemically processed, which is really misleading with the labelling.
  • GinaJ2006
    Options
    Thanks skinnyby. I saw the agave at the store the other day and almost bought it, but it was so pricey I decided I would wait until I knew something about it. That first website was very informative, I learned a lot about fructose that I did not know.
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    Here's the rebuttal to the arguments against agave. Granted, it's from the company, but my guess is always that the truth lies somewhere in between the two views. At any rate, this is really worth the read - at least where it lists the source for all of the other negative articles.

http://www.agavemythbuster.com/p/agave-controversy.html
  • jennlee80
    Options
    Thanks for the links!
  • loseit4good52
    Options
    Have you tried Xylitol? Its a natural sweetener and is even good for you.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Here's the rebuttal to the arguments against agave. Granted, it's from the company, but my guess is always that the truth lies somewhere in between the two views. At any rate, this is really worth the read - at least where it lists the source for all of the other negative articles.

http://www.agavemythbuster.com/p/agave-controversy.html

Thank you for this.
  • rrrr76
    Options
    Have you tried Xylitol? Its a natural sweetener and is even good for you.

We brought a bag at the story. Very pricey but yet to try it.
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    LOL @ in Texas we call that tequila :) Totally different bro...

Agave is best used where you want a sweetener that has very little flavor. Unlike the distinctive and I'd say rather beautiful flavor of Honey it is almost flavorless. What it is ideal for is using in mixed drinks as a a sweetener b/c it has the same viscosity of simple syrup practically.

As for health/calories..I have no idea I just know about it as a foodie would.
  • tarjake
    tarjake Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    LOL @ in Texas we call that tequila :) Totally different bro...

Agave is best used where you want a sweetener that has very little flavor. Unlike the distinctive and I'd say rather beautiful flavor of Honey it is almost flavorless. What it is ideal for is using in mixed drinks as a a sweetener b/c it has the same viscosity of simple syrup practically.

As for health/calories..I have no idea I just know about it as a foodie would.
    yes i know
    but tequila is made from the pulp of the agave cactus:smile: