I'm planning ahead....BUT could use some advice

Options
Okay..here's the deal...for the first time in a VERY long time I have a REAL first date....and I am very, very excited about it. We are going to have dinner and drinks at one of those Hibachi type restaurants...so I know I'm going to be eating some stuff that is not so great for the "diet"....should I just not worry about it and enjoy the evening? Call it my "cheat day"?

I would like your thoughts on this. THanks for the help!

Replies

• kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    my husband has v-day reservations for one of these places, and I plan to use a cheat day and try to get a comparable calorie count to record.
  • jmhunter84
    jmhunter84 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Be conscious of what you eat, don't eat 4000 calories, but enjoy yourself, don't ruin the date worrying about your food and diet. Relax, and its okay to have a cheat day, Enjoy!:smile:
  • MsImperfect0
    MsImperfect0 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    i would call it my cheat day if it was me, go out and enjoy yourself! that way your not stressing over whats in what and how much each thing is!
  • kitta3
    kitta3 Posts: 84
    Options
    I also have dinner reservations for Valentines day, to a very high calorie place!
    Maybe try working out before the date(may help your nerves too)
    and have fun, and dont worry too much about your diet on the date!
    enjoy yourself!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    cheat day?!?!?!?! Afraid not! If you are trying to make overall healthy lifestyle change----there is no room for a cheat day. Just my 2 cents.
  • andrewajm
    andrewajm Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    ya bro just go and have fun and dont worry about the food at all..get back on track the next day ...big advice coming here...women pick up on distractions super easy and you dont want her to think its something to do with her or your not interested..its a big deal so make it the most fun you can...once you guys get to know each other better she will be really impressed you watch what you eat...good luck buddy...dont forget to wear the axe youve seen the commercials the women flock to you lol...see ya bud
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Going out to eat does not have to be about the food! Really, we are there to enjoy the company of the people we are with.

Went out last night with hubs. I ordered the special--garlic herb tillapia---it came to me fried!!! I told them the menu did not state it was fried---I don't want it---take it back and give me the broiled walleye--they did- and they blamed themselves for not stating it was fried----I stuck to my guns, I had my broiled fish, my steamed veggies and enjoyed a very quiet evening with my husband. I left stuffed!
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    I say, don't stress about it but be conscious of what you are eating. avoid cream sauces, avoid anything fried and always ask for dressing on the side. Hibachi sounds asian..... just avoid fried and ask for extra veggies to fill you up..l also brown rice. :-D Otherwise I wouldn't worried too much. Also avoid drinking your calories (if having a drink get the lowest cal option so you aren't wasting calories there) and drink LOTS of water while sitting at the table. :-D it will help with the sodium. LOTS OF SODIUM in Asian food especially. But it has a wonderful opportunity of being fresh!

Have fun!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Okay..here's the deal...for the first time in a VERY long time I have a REAL first date....and I am very, very excited about it. We are going to have dinner and drinks at one of those Hibachi type restaurants...so I know I'm going to be eating some stuff that is not so great for the "diet"....should I just not worry about it and enjoy the evening? Call it my "cheat day"?

I would like your thoughts on this. THanks for the help!

Japanese Hibachi grills are easy to eat healthy!!!

Concentrate on the meat and veggies - skip any sweet sauces, go for a garlic based sauce and eat on a small amount of rice or none at all.
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    Why don't you look up their menu or go by and figure out what you are going to have ahead of time? That will take the pressure off and you can concentrate on the date. Personally, I would leave myself some wiggle room for either an appetite to share, or a dessert to share, but not both. You can also just plan on either boxing up half your meal or not eating it all. A lot of times when I go out I ask the waiter to have the kitchen put half the meal in a to-go box and bring the other half to the table. If this feels weird, you can excuse yourself after ordering to go to the bathroom, then swing by to see your waiter and make the request, or just have it boxed at the end. Gives you a good excuse to have to run back to your place if the date goes really well (haha) or really bad. :)

Personal Note: Please don't "wear the Axe." EWWW! :huh:
  • clahut
    clahut Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Have a cheat day.

As someone else on here said - this is about a lifestyle not a diet. As far as I am concerned, I want room in my lifestyle for nice meals out without worrying about them. The difference is eating right all the rest of the days of the week. It seems to have worked ok for me. My boyfriend and I go out for a nice meal once a month and I don't worry about it - I just make sure I keep on track for the rest of the month :smile:

C
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    ya bro just go and have fun and dont worry about the food at all..get back on track the next day ...big advice coming here...women pick up on distractions super easy and you dont want her to think its something to do with her or your not interested..its a big deal so make it the most fun you can...once you guys get to know each other better she will be really impressed you watch what you eat...good luck buddy...dont forget to wear the axe youve seen the commercials the women flock to you lol...see ya bud
    lol she is a woman. :-D
  • courtneykrueger
    Options
    I would take a cheat day... even in a lifestyle change, you CANNOT deny yourself from everything. I took a cheat day yesterday and it didn't throw everything off, I am STILL losing weight. I am STILL eatting healthy today (and the rest of the week) and I am STILL working out nearly every day. Just don't make the cheat day a habit and you will be fine!! :) Have fun on your date :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I've had two days off from counting calories every week since I started and it hasn't hindered my weight loss at all. As I've come along on this journey my food choices have gotten more healthy and with the exception of my TOM I don't eat any refined sugar or junk food. So even on my days off I'm still fairly close to my calorie goal because I'm eating the same foods I normally do.

So...My advice is to just enjoy yourself! I've always felt that if you plan on eating cookies/chips/soda/etc. once you've lost the weight you should be able to eat those foods once in a while as you're losing the weight. You may eventually give them up, but there's no harm in indulging a little bit now and then. And a nice meal out, especially on the first date, is a nice excuse to indulge. Don't go crazy, but you don't have to limit yourself to a salad either. Be smart, but enjoy!
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I just had a wonderful V-day lunch with my husband. I ordered relatively healthy but still enjoyed myself. Just because you're changing your lifestyle doesn't mean there is no room for splurges. Go, have fun & don't stress about how many calories you're eating. 1 "off" day isn't going to ruin anything.
  • 750legpress
    750legpress Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much you guys..really appreciate the support. Started looking up menu choices for similar restaurants (Benihana, Kobe Steakhouse)...so I think I have my choice down pat. And the brown rice option is a GREAT one!! I just have to watch the noodles...been craving pasta a LOT lately, which is odd cause I'm not a pasta fan, so to speak.

Hope all of you have a terrific Valentines Day celebration!