Stevia

Options
I've seen some people mention Stevia and I am curious about it. I never could stand the taste of Spenda or any other artificial sweeteners. Can anyone tell me some things about it? How does it taste? Where do you get it? Pros and Cons? Thanks

Replies

• Caledoncracker
    Options
    Hi
    I have tried Stevia, I dont find it as harsh as other sweetners, there is still a slight taste but not bad. I use it about half the time, especially for making coffee at work.
    Kate
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    A very small amount goes a long way. Stevia is about 300 times sweeter than sugar, so if it tastes bitter, you have used too much.

Sweet Leaf Stevia is the best I have found. I like the liquid kind and you can get it in many flavors for adding versatility.

I bought some plants and a pestiule (sp) so I can try my hand at drying the leaves and then grinding it myself. I bought plants last summer and they ended up dying, ha ha......
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    Stevia is not classified as an artificial sweetener because it is natural. It comes from a plant. It is known for t's ability to not effect blood sugars like sugar does. It also does not trigger addiction like artificial sweeteners tend to.
    It has been described as kind of a licorice taste, but I personally think it tastes more like a roasted Marshmallow. Of course, that's only on it's own. Otherwise it is wonderful for sweetening coffee, tea, oatmeal, and baking. Whatever you want. :-D Give it a try. I like it a lot, you may too.
  • maricari
    maricari Posts: 133
    Options
    if you have never liked other articficial sweetners you might not like stevia either. i use the Truvia brand. It has the texture of grnaualted sugar and I add it to my coffee. I prefer it over splenda, equal and others but I would not use it as a replacement for actual sugar in recipes. The benifit to me is that the stevia does not spike your insulin like other sweeteners, that alone is a reason not the use the others, your body is responding to them like actual sugar.
  • GinaJ2006
    Options
    Is it only available online?