When does the aching stop?

Options
I've been going to the gym for 2 1/2 weeks now. I swim 5 times a week and work out about the same for about 40 mins to an hour a time. I feel great and it never hurts at the time, but when I sit down I ache. When I wake up I ache, I got up at 6.50am today on a sunday! I can't keep moving about all the time cos it'll drive my husband mad and besides, I am basically lazy. Presumably my body will get used to the sudden assault on it's wobbliness and give in, but when?

Replies

• Booper83
    Booper83 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Stretch! Sounds like your muscles are REALLY sore. Stretch them. Try getting a yoga video if needed to help with stretch ideas. You're are pushing too much and not stretching your muscles. Hope this helps!
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    hahaha!! too funny!! I've no idea...I'm lighter than you and been working out since about october time and I ache the WHOLE time! grrrr! Sorry I dont have an answer to your question...Im ust in the same boat! I suppose it stops when we stop moving....???
  • Dom80
    Dom80 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    when you havent used those muscles in awhile, they will ache. There are some days when I stand up and feel like the hunch back of notre dame .lol

Give it time and stretch stretch stretch.
  • jaxcpotter
    jaxcpotter Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Have you started all of this activity at once? I'd say cut back a bit for now, then gradually add to your routine. Kudos to you for the effort! I'm losing at a decent pace just doing a comfortable 45 minutes of free step a day.
  • kettlewitch
    kettlewitch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    hahaha!! too funny!! I've no idea...I'm lighter than you and been working out since about october time and I ache the WHOLE time! grrrr! Sorry I dont have an answer to your question...Im ust in the same boat! I suppose it stops when we stop moving....???

Oh dear. Looks like I'm destined to make grunting noises every time I get up for some time then. I scared the cat earlier just reaching for the remote. I have a pilates set which I got last weekend but I was tired after I blew the ball up, then I found the pump
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    My trainer says the aching will never go away - you don't want lasting paint after working out but to have achiness that day and the says following is normal. It shows that you are actually challenging your muscles in different ways. At the end of a work out he will tell me where I'm shouldbe aching over the next couple days and that helps both of us gauge whether or not I did the exercise correctly or with enough intensity. He does recommend stretching though - from the moment I wake up. He says do a little stretching in bed and he said its particularly good to so some in the shower - the heat really helps get the muscles flexing.

Stay with it and overall - you don't want exercising to ever be really "comfortable" - that means you're probably not challenging yourself enough.
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Oh dear. Looks like I'm destined to make grunting noises every time I get up for some time then. I scared the cat earlier just reaching for the remote. I have a pilates set which I got last weekend but I was tired after I blew the ball up, then I found the pump
    [/quote]

haha!!! poor cat! bet he runs a mile when you put your dvd on!! heheheee xx

Good luck! if you get the answer, then let me know!! I Think the yoga one sounds like good advice tho! Take care!
  • ccrawshaw
    ccrawshaw Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I scared the cat earlier just reaching for the remote.

This cracked me up!!!!
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    I been working out seriously for over 6 months now and I still ache. As long as you're adding weight or reps your body will do more effort and then ache. I have read that some people don't get aches even though they're working just as hard though.