Thinking like a "fat" person - does it every go away?

Options
I am the first to say that I'm proud of what I have accomplished. It hasn't been easy and I know that I've made positive changes in my life. The one thing I'm finding frustrating is that it is so hard to stop thinking like a "fat" person. I see people who can walk by a buffet table, take one cookie and munch on it for the next 10 minutes. I, on the other hand, have to make a conscious decision to take one cookie and then eat mindfully so it lasts more than 30 seconds. I start thinking about the next holiday and how I can give myself "persmission" to have a "treat" when thats not really point of a holiday. Even something like Valentines Day. I'm really happy to have a special day to show hubby how much he means to me but by the same token, in the back of my mind, I'm kind of hoping he's going to bring me some chocolate and its okay to eat it because its Valentines Day. To me that kind of stuff really is "fat" person thinking.

I wonder if that ever changes. I quit smoking 5 years ago now and I don't consider myself a smoker anymore and I don't have to consciously think about not smoking. That desire is just gone. Will that happen for the food thoughts? Maybe it doesn't and that's why maintenance is such a challenge for many people. But I would love to think that 5 years down the road, I'm the one cookie girl or the woman who is truly surprised about the valentine chocolate rather than secretly hoping for it.

Replies

• dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I don't know if that will ever go away. I have never been there yet. I am on my way and woudl like the answer to that question too.

I think the huge difference with smoking and food, is you do not need to smoke to live. You do need to eat to live though.

It's why food addicts have such a hard time.
  • Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    all i can say to u is that i hope it is that way in the future for all of us :)

best wishes
    Kirstie x
  • annasid78
    Options
    I wonder the same thing. Last year I lost 75 lbs. Then fell of wagon and entered fat land again. Ate just like I had before. Now I have nearly all of it to lose again.... I hope that this is the time I quit thinking like a fat person.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    hm, I don't think that way. I hope hubby doesn't get me chocolate, because it would hurt his feelings if I just gave it to the kids, because aside form 1 or 2 pieces, I won't touch it. Maybe I just never got to the point of thinking that way *shrug*. If I want something, I eat it, still. There is a bowl of candy at work, I walk past it several times a day...and never touch it. It is Hershey Kisses, and I know that I hate them. If I want to "splurge" and have candy, it's going to be something I :heart: , and not put me over my calories for the day.
  • chuckanderson
    Options
    Mine is gone 95% of days. Every now and then I REALLY crave something though.... but if I drink a big glass of water and eat a protein bar it goes away.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if it ever goes away completely (i think it probably does).
    What I do know for sure is that the longer you eat healthy and make good food choices the less your body tolerates 'Junk'.
    I have a friend who blogged one day about going out and eating ice cream and cake (or doughnuts, I'm not sure which it was). She was OK with the decision to indulge because it was a Special Occasion ( Son's Birthday) and she knew that she would be right back on track eating well the very next day.
    As it turns out she spent most of the night in the Emergency Room with a Horrific Migrane which the Dr said was triggered by all the sugar and fat that she had eaten. Her body just wasn't used to it, and she couldn't handle it.
  • bree1609
    bree1609 Posts: 136
    Options
    It certainly is tough. I've only been at this since last July (7 months) and I struggle with it. Especially lately since I've hit a major plateu and haven't been able to get all the workouts in that I want because I'm a full-time student on top of being a wife and trying to have our first baby. I know that I have the "fat girl mentality" and that I have to make conscious choices everyday. So I'm with you! Five years from now, I just want to be able to go to a buffet (I avoid them now) and know that I'll only eat what I need to feel satisfied and that I'll make the right choices.
  • rebecca_goss0
    Options
    We need food to live unlike smoking. I think we will always "think like a fat person". Once you have been large it's hard to not. Face it, we got big because we ate and ate all the yummy food we love and made us feel good. Now we have got to take our time to enjoy it in small amounts along with finding other reasons to be happy!
  • jenX1174
    jenX1174 Posts: 154
    Options
    I totally understand your frustration, and let me tell you honey, you're not alone!!! And it's not just a "fat" persons way of thinking.....there are some thin people (even those who have never been overweight) who think this way too!

It has to do with our brain, the "reward" thing, and how a lot of those high cal, high fat, sugary and/or salty processed treats were designed.

I picked up this book called "The End of Overeating" by David Kesslar, and I can't believe how our food is engineered to make us want more. I used to always wonder why I couldn't just eat one (or even 2) Swiss Rolls without wanting another. Or one Toll House Chocolate chip cookie without wanting to eat 5 more.

Yes, I know part of it is choices we make, but it certainly doesn't help that these food companies are chemically designing our food to make us crave more. That's why I've chosen to stay away from most processed junk! If I want something, I'd rather make it myself.

edited for typos :)
  • Anana11
    Anana11 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My mother lost weight with Weight Watchers and is doing a good job of keeping it off. Every once in a while, particularly after holidays she's start counting points again, but that's it. What I've noticed with her is that she doesn't really want a lot of food anymore, especially if it's rich food. Your brain gets recalibrated to what it recognizes is "enough" and when it feels happy or satisfied. One day, you'll eat a cookie, notice how good it tastes, how the flavors work together, and you won't want or need another one. You can remember the enjoyment and flavors of the first cookie and feel satisfied.
    I do think you will always have to be aware of your habits when you are stressed though. I just yesterday had a mini-binge -- several handfuls of Cheerios -- because I am stressed about a work situation (which will happily resolve itself once the deadline is over!). You may also have those kinds of feelings, when you're feeling unhappy or stressed, your brain will say "hey, how about a pint of ice cream? You always feel better when you're eating ice cream." It neglects to mention how you'll feel afterward, but that's how the brain works.
    So yes and no. I think your normal eating patterns will slowly change, but you will always have to be aware of what triggers old habits.
  • MrX8503
    Options
    I'm not sure if it goes away completely.

I have the willpower to control my portions, but I still have the desire to eat more. You have to remember that our bodies are programmed to eat what is available because it goes back to a time where food was not readily available.

Obviously that isn't true now, but the steps you take to control your eating habits gets easier over time.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it goes away completely.

I have the willpower to control my portions, but I still have the desire to eat more. You have to remember that our bodies are programmed to eat what is available because it goes back to a time where food was not readily available.

Obviously that isn't true now, but the steps you take to control your eating habits gets easier over time.

This is such a perfect way of stating it - willpower is there but the desire is too.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that experiences this and hopefully, time will heal this too!