when you feel hunger late at night- what do you do?

Options
Eating late at night is one of the reason I gain weight.
Eventhough I had enough food for dinner, I look for something to eat few hours later.

I need some advice. What do you do when you feel like eating something late at night?

Replies

• janetjanes
    Options
    A cough drop makes my desire for food disappear in the evening. Hope this works for you. I try to use the stronger menthol ones so that I don't want to eat anything else afterwards.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    eat a bowl of cheerios or a protein shake.
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    A cup of hot tea. I have a lovely organic tea that is mint flavored so it almost tastes like a little sweet treat. Becuase it is hot I have to drink it slow so it distracts me. :drinker:
  • floridabootcamp
    Options
    Hello!

Eating late at night won't cause you to gain weight. Weight gain comes from eating more calories than you burn. You can eat at anytime of the day or night. This is the second most popular fitness myth right behind spot reduction. If you are getting a sweet tooth then you can try brushing your teeth. In most cases this will relieve the craving for something sweet.

Have a good one!
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I do one of two things, I either eat some of that dessert gum that they make, my favorite is the mint chocolate chip, I think it's extra. They also make key lime pie and strawberry shortcake gum. Both are good. Drink some water. Or even just go to bed. I sleep much better on an empty stomach than after I eat.
  • healthynthin
    Options
    I like to eat at night too. I eat a big breakfast then try to save most of my calories for the night time. But i do eat if I am actually hungry ofcoarse. and another thing, ask yourself if your actually hungry or if you just want to eat. hope that helps
  • mariapilgreen
    Options
    I have the same problem. Once my children are in bed I sit and do homework and that is when I get the munchies... So far what helps me is protein shakes, but I know that will get old and I will need to come up with something else. UGH!
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein and fiber. It will fill you up and drink lots of water.
  • CelesteENelson
    CelesteENelson Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I chew sugar free gum, chew on ice chips or Life savers sugar free candies are great and only 30 calories. The life savers are really sweet and kill the sweet tooth. I find at night when I want to eat. Its out of boredom not because I need the food.
  • xerinx2011
    Options
    I tend to work out when lil man is in bed so get hungry afterwards, i make sure i save enough alories during the day or eat some of my calories burned back again!
  • ♥Violette♥4Ever♥
    Options
    I have never been a late night snacker but if I'm up late and I get those hunger pangs....I go to bed and I find that by the time I wake up, they are gone.
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    As you are finishing dinner, down a glass of water or two. If that doesn't help...have a small handful of popcorn or look into some sweet snacks like jello pudding. Give yourself room for dessert but do not have it toooo late that you are basically eating and sleeping.
  • ♥Violette♥4Ever♥
    Options
    Hello!

Eating late at night won't cause you to gain weight. Weight gain comes from eating more calories than you burn. You can eat at anytime of the day or night. This is the second most popular fitness myth right behind spot reduction. If you are getting a sweet tooth then you can try brushing your teeth. In most cases this will relieve the craving for something sweet.

Have a good one!

This is good to know because I always thought that eating late at night was not a good thing to do. Thank you for this information.
  • Grisch
    Options
    thank you! I really should try some of your methods ;)
    And keep your advice in mind.

I'm having difficulty using this great web site since English isn't my native language, but I am really helped since many people on this web site are always willing to help and encourage.

I hope everyone can make it to your goal!
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    A couple of things that I find work well:

1: Have a huge glass of water then immediately pour yourself another. You won't feel like drinking the second one but you'll still have something to distract you.

2: Push your last meal of the day to 1 hour later than you eat it now. If your typical dinner is eaten at 5:00, eat at 6 instead. It will give you less time before you go to bed to get hungry and you will not have to include any additional meals in your day.

Hope this helps you out.
  • floridabootcamp
    Options
    Anytime!
  • K9Lover
    K9Lover Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I brush and floss my teeth. That's usually enough to keep me from giving in to temptation. Good luck.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    I chug a glass a water and go to bed.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Have a good on

I agree with this. Comes down to calories in vs calories out. I eat the majority of my calories in the evening, including dinner between 9 & 10 pm. Basically fom 7 pm until bed I am eating something every hour because I know nite time grazing/binging is a problem for me:

7 pm - fruit
    8 pm- veggie
    9 pm - dinner
    10 pm - if I have something, depends on exactly when I ate dinner I go with the mood - popcorn if want salty, piece of chocolate if I want sweet
    11 pm - skim milk & a 100 calorie pack.

Keep in mind I exercise