Food to take on a trip?

Options
fevre
fevre Posts: 60 Member
I'll be leaving soon to spend a weekend at a hotel with some friends, and I want to bring most of the food I'll be eating (the hotel is in a resort town where all the restaurants are far out of my price range). According to the hotel website, our room will have a coffee maker and a fridge, but nothing else. Anything I pack will also have to be able to survive 7+ hours of travel outside of a refrigerator.

What sort of foods can I bring? I'll be doing a lot of walking around so I'd like foods that will give me energy, but not require much to prepare. I'm thinking some packets of tuna, maybe peanut butter and crackers, and a box of VitaMuffins. Any other suggestions?

EDIT: Also, does anyone have cracker recommendations? I've grown up on Saltines and Ritz crackers, and I'm sure those aren't the best choice.

Replies

• tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Instant oatmeal's good. Either the coffee pot or somewhere in the hotel you can get the hot water for it. Protein bars or powders are good supplements too.

Usually what I do though is hit up a store that's close to the hotel and get a few things that can last a few days like fruit, and some raw veggies, oatmeal bars, instant oatmeal, and some shakes.

Good luck :-)
  • topazz9
    Options
    id reccommend dried fruits and vegetables, low cal and portable. "zucchini chips" are my favorite.
    have fun on your trip xx
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Granola bars, apples, you could even bring peanut butter and bread, or bagels, and a jar of new jelly, then just toss it when you leave. I also always have pretzels and maybe some nuts for fat to hold you over.

Good luck! And have fun!!!
  • Anidorie
    Anidorie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    um yes! try the bumblebee FAT free tuna dinners. they ae about a dollar a meal and they have the wheat crackers and the tuna salad and a spoon all in a box with only 150 calories. try packing some prepackaged light fruits that are in water and NOT coctail. bring plenty of water and have fun!
  • theTX4
    theTX4 Posts: 25
    Options
    What about some nuts? Walnuts, almonds, raw peanuts all are easily portable. If you can stop by a grocery store, you could pick up some greek yogurt and fruit.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    You can do instant oatmeal. Use the coffee maker for hot water.
    I have brought coolers in with me and sandwich meats to have. I use the ice bucket to get ice and keep the foods cold. Ice is usually free.

bring fruits and veggies. You could also bring hardboiled eggs.

hummus, cottage cheese, yogurt etc.
    Maybe you could go shopping when you get there.
  • KokomoJoe
    Options
    nuts, nut butters, fruits, berries. Since you have a fridge you can do Hard boiled eggs, veggies etc. get some freezer bags and pack with ice from the ice machine and pack a cooler for travel. I don't do deli meats but I'm sure you can get some clean deli stuff and make some wraps as well.

Good luck with your trip.
  • loveshannonmarie
    loveshannonmarie Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Bring beef jerky.. hecka protein and low calories plus no carbs :)
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    If you take a cooler I would throw in different flavors of low fat cheese sticks. Fresh fruit is portable. Triscuits are my favorite snack and they are whole wheat. I also think Laughing Cow cheese would work. At the grocery store in which I shop I don't recall seeing the containers being refrigerated, which makes me think they would keep fairly well. If you find the blue cheese flavor and buy a can of chicken (packed like canned tuna) and Frank's Red Hot, Hungry Girl has a recipe for Buffalo chicken that sounds divine, but I haven't had the time to try it yet (If you like spicy food of course).

Have a good time, and I hope this helps!
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Bring beef jerky.. hecka protein and low calories plus no carbs :)
    But definitely a lot of sodium, and depending on what flavor you get, there could be a bunch of carbs from sugar. Check the label! I would go with nuts instead... still lots of protein and comparable fat, but you get to choose the unsalted kind if you like.

How about kettlecorn/popcorn? Already popped and packaged. I've been munching on some kettle corn that has no sodium and is mildly sweetened, 2 cups = 130Cal.