Not succeding

Options
I just am really discouraged. I am having a really hard time eating well while being on the road. And I was trying to eat better during the time I am home but have lost that battle right now. Need some pep talks. My only thought is to try and do Atkins for a few weeks to get a start because I know it works for me and then see how i am feeling in a month.

Replies

• pickles50
    Options
    hi there,have you thought abouttaking your own food onthe road that way you wouldnt eat so many calories? keep trying this does work
  • katdanash
    katdanash Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Dont give up the battle of weight loss. Remember you didn't gain it all in one day and you cant take it off overnight. ONe day at a time and one meal at a time. It is a hard struggle one the that I have had my entire life. Close your eyes and enjoy a moment of silence as you through doubts out the window then come back fighting. You can do this. Praying that God helps you through your day as you face temptations and trials. God Bless
  • tmanni02
    Options
    When I eat out it is a lot harder. What I try and do is look up restaurant nutritional info if I can. I order soup, small plates, and try to never eat fries.
  • tatiana_13
    Options
    Betsy,

Here's a pep talk. Every little thing you can do that helps you is something you've done! Every step, every thing you didn't eat, every donut passed over. Celebrate each of those things. We've all been there. You may glance at my ticker and see I have 10 pounds left to go and think I'm a thin little something who doesn't know what I'm talking about, but I've been there! More than once! (And I'm really, really short, so don't let my weight fool you...I was once as wide as I am tall!)

I've never had to travel, but I've been a student for a many years (an older student), so I know what its like to not always have control over your own meals. Keep it simple. Salads, soups, vegetables, and meats. Just ask. You may think you're being a bother, but, unfortunately, modern commercial kitchens these days pretty much just open things up from bags and cans, warms and microwaves everything anyway. Also, stack up on cheese, nuts, salad mixes, fruits, yogurt, and canned tuna for the hotel room (some of these depend on a fridge, but some don't) I know you want to do Atkins. But don't plan on doing anything drastic like induction while on the road...its too hard. The odds are, you won't be able to do it without the support of your own kitchen, and you'll end up binging. And nobody wants that! But if you like doing lower carb eating, you can certainly do a compromise and eat cleaner carb and good protein. Do what you can do. You may be surprised what you can accomplish.
  • sophiajackson99
    Options
    Dear Betsy,

To me, when dieting feels like an all-out yard sale everything must go change, then I tend to change back in the same drastic manner to where I was before I started. What is one thing that you can reasonably do that will improve your life right now? Can you take a snack with you on the road? Or prepare one meal on the weekends so you'll have a tasty and healthy dinner to come home to each night?

Can you carve out some time to care for yourself? Planning ahead really helps me out. Take heart and don't give up on yourself. You are worth it. :)
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    When I have times that are going to be hard to get enough exercise or have control on my eating I say OK I amy not be able to lose now but I can just make sure I do not gain back what I have lost. I go into maintenance mode. It isn't that much easier but it gives me some slack and I can feel that I am succeeding in what I set as my temporary goal. It isn't easy getting going again either so you need to have some patience with your body as well. If this is going to be a long term situation start to find ways to do the travel in a healthier way. Make one change at a time or a few easier ones. After the time I went into maintenance mode and then started to get back it took a few weeks and I admit I got discouraged so I took a weekend break. No I didn't go over my goal calories I just let meself have a few missed treats that weekend. Then back I went and finally it is slowly coming off. I had to adjust twice to get it going though. So this is not easy and if you have alot to lose as I do you need to do it in a way that is sustainable for you over the long haul. If you feel deprived you won't stick to it. I have had friends ask me what I eat. I frankly don't think that is the point the point is how do I balance my intake and exercise while eating good nutrition to stick to my gaol I set whether it is to lose a pound a week or to maintain. I have made progress towards eating less of the foods that are not worth the calories based on their nutritional value. Progress is the issue not being perfect. Sometimes the progress is to stop gaining. Sometimes it is to slowly lose it. Sometimes we have times in ourlives we can get it off a bit faster. Just be kind to yourself, don't give up and commit to a positive movement in the right direction however small. You are worth it. And just do not compare yourself to others progress. You need to be true to your process and your situation. We are rooting for you.
    Keri
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Hi Betsy
    I don't know how much on the road you are talking about, all day or days at a time. Maybe you should invest in a cooler and keep it stocked with fresh fruits and veggies. those are very hard to find at a reasonable cost, on the road. throw some water bottles in the freezer and use them to keep your food cold. Then when they thaw you can have cold water to drink.

you can also freeze yogurts to have on the road.
  • luvtowalk
    luvtowalk Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Good Luck Betsy, lso try to walk as much as possible, When I travel I get out and walk 10-15 minutes just to losen up and get some exercise. also frozen grapes are good and they thaw out nicely,
  • microshells
    Options
    Betsy,

I feel for you. I have struggled with finding healthy alternatives and staying on track. My BF is a meat and potatoes kind of guy and I fell into the same eating pattern. He still eats that way and when we go out it gets tough not to slide back into old habits. I started planning way ahead. I check up on the calorie infomation if available on any restaurant we go to. If it isn't available I stick to soups made with broth and a salad with chicken. I ask for a side of salsa to mix with a tiny bit of ranch and that usually makes for a satisfying salad. I did Atkins for about 9 months several years ago while I was finishing my degree. I was even able to find ways to stick to that while at school. Many restaurants will work around your dietary conditions. Let the server know in advance and ask for advice on good choices. Trust me, the server has heard it before. Hang in there and try not to get discouraged. It is a long, slow process but you should be proud that you are on the right path. Keep in touch with friends here on MFP to help you stay on track. :smile: