Quick HRM question

Options
So I tried out my new HRM for the first time today and the heart rate was spot on, but the calorie read was 50+ calories lower than what the machine read. Usually I hear of HRMs reading higher, lol. But anyway, does this sound right? Perhaps I've been overestimating my burn all this time :-s The machine had my age and weight unlike my HRM that had my height as well. Im assuming the HRM would be more accurate. Any input? Thanks in advance! :-)

Replies

• rflowers7
    Options
    I would probably go with the HRM, especially if it's a machine you use all the time. Your body can get used to the same exercise and more efficient at performing it, burning less calories over time.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    My machine is always 30% higher then my HRM
  • keschuh79
    Options
    I recently just purchased an HRM and found that I had way overestimated the amount I burned at the gym based on the cardio equipment readouts too. Just like you anywhere from 50-100+. I wasn't thrilled obviously, but I do feel that it's far more accurate. Combining my HRM calorie burn and MFP and no longer using the cardio equipment, I've definitely lost more weight and inches.

The HRM is definitely one of the best purchases in fitness improvement I've made in a while. Not only does it monitor more accurately, but it also pushes me to kick my own *kitten* harder.
  • GufoBianca
    Options
    Thanks, guys! Definitely an eye opener! Very glad I decided to get a HRM now, lol