spinning

Options
going to my first spinning class tomorrow. I know I will need to start slow, but any suggestions, info, advise on being successful with this? I haven't done anything except walk in a long time.

Replies

• fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    drink water
    breathe
    dont wear short shorts
  • jennlee80
    Options
    There will be beginners and masters in the class BUT go at your own pace!! If they offer seat cushions-grab one! Most don't, so your bum will be sore. You'll get used to that part :) I love spin!!! It's an amazing workout and great for everyone.
  • cleo77
    cleo77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    buy a seat pad:wink: My butt was sore for 2 days afterwards. Plus, bring plenty of water. Its fun, once you get into it.
  • Carissa83
    Carissa83 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You will have a sore butt! The first time I took I spinning class I felt like something really bad had happened to me the night before! But no worries, you will get used to it ( I never did buy a seat pad and don't feel like I need one now) and love spinning! Burns tons of calories and its fun!

PS. If it gets really tough, don't quit! Just lesson the resistance a little and slow down. By the third class you'll feel like you can do it all day long! Good Luck !! :)
  • ingeborgv
    ingeborgv Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Make sure your pants aren't wide in the knee area. They may get caught on the resistance screw and mess up your workout (yep, lesson learned here).
  • CaraRadz
    CaraRadz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Spinning is awesome! My biggest advice is to stay with it! Your first time you probably will not be able to complete every set exactly as the instructor tells you to. That's totally ok. If you need to sit down, sit down. If you need to lessen your resistance, do it. Just keep moving! You'll be amazed on how quickly you'll improve.

Like some others have said, be sure to bring water and a towel. You will sweat!!

As for the soreness, I wear padded bicycle shorts, so I don't have an issue. I would recommend them!
  • bdavenport62
    Options
    TOWEL(S) and plenty of water. I look like I have showered after I get out of a spin class! Make sure to relax your shoulders and have good form. Use those thighs and legs. I took a class last week after not going for awhile and my neck/shoulders were sore from me not having good form. :embarassed:
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    drink water
    breathe
    dont wear short shorts
    No short shorts?!? That's half the fun! :wink:
    Bring water and a towel and make it your own workout.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    If they offer seat cushions-grab one!

No no Noooo!! :huh:

Less is more!! Your groin will get used to the saddle, but padded gel seats and hugely padded cycling shorts will just chafe you!!

Spin is great.

Tell the instructor it's your first class so s/he can help you to set up your bike optimally to your leg length, torsal length etc. Your set up should be similar to a road race bike NOT a "sit up and beg" position where the handlebars are way higher than your saddle. Your saddle height should be so that when you sit straight in the saddle, you should have a little bend in the knee, but not too much.

Use your judgement when using resistance. When you're doing hill climbs and come out of the saddle, make sure you have enough resistance on to avoid falling through empty pedals and jarring the legs.

No pointing outwards of knees and elbows. And if you're bouncing in the saddle you need to increase your resistance. Keep your core strong and don't excessively lean into the handlebars. Remember your legs are stronger than your arms.

Take a lot of water (at least 75cl for a 45min class or a litre of fluids for an hour). Take a towel.

Enjoy! :bigsmile:
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Stretch before you jump on the bike. I know i usually get really sore legs after a spin class
  • sclosson
    sclosson Posts: 120
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I am excited to be doing something organized. I usually can't afford it. I want to stick with this, I have heard so much about how good it is for exercise. I am going with a friend so that will help. Thanks again
  • gilliland24
    Options
    Just go at what you feel comfortable at first, if you don't want to do what the instructor is doing then dont just sit there and peddle but always keep your legs moving! its fun..sure it hurts at first but then you get use to it! have fun let me know how you like it!