The Raw food diet??..

Options
Hi... Is any one on or heard of the raw food diet????
Im meant to be stating it tomorow with my boyfriend, and i just wanted to see if any one had any tips or advise on it..
Thanks..x

Replies

• atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Check out this page:

http://www.therawyogi.com
    http://www.therawyogi.blogspot.com

He's one of the Yoga instructor in my gym. All about raw food. The guy dropped from 260 down to 170 just switching to raw food.
  • JulieTX86
    Options
    I did raw food for just one week... just to introduce myself to other vegetables etc. It was brutal for me, but other people do it as a lifestyle, so it's all in your approach (I think I was so ready for it to end because I knew I was only doing it for 7 days).

Good luck!
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    I did raw food for two weeks. I felt good on it; but it just wasn't me.
  • RTricia
    Options
    http://www.goneraw.com/

This is the site I used to use a lot. enjoy!
  • RTricia
    Options
    http://www.goneraw.com/

This is the site I used to use a lot. enjoy!
  • topazz9
    Options
    hey, id been raw for a year before two months ago. LOVED it! so much energy, and you dont even have to count calories. i've made a website, here:
    http://discoverrawakenings.com/

i suggest you have at least one green smoothie or salad each day to lose more weight, feel free to add me, i start up on raw again tomorrow!
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    interesting, thanks for bringing up this topic
  • jillcaudill
    jillcaudill Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My biggest tip is get a good recipe book or two or three! There are some delicious meals you can make. It just takes time and research but you will find what you like. I love raw foods, but it's not a lifestyle for me. I just incorporate dishes here and there. The nutritional benefits are so much higher than cooked or processed foods.

Here is a quote from The Garden of Eden Raw Fruit and Vegetable Recipes by Phyllis Avery "Man's physical and mental problems began when his diet changed from raw fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds to cooked vegetables, flesh, and grains. A vast quantity of existing evidence shows that a predominantly raw diet can reverse bodily degeneration which accompanies long term illness, retard the rate at which you age, lower your cholesterol, produce natural weight loss, rid the body of toxins, produce clearer thinking, and reduce your normal amount of sleep. Raw food increases your energy because much less energy is wasted eliminating the toxins developed in cooked foods.

Another big thing I've learned is that foods properly combined streamline digestion, promote weight loss, and energize and strengthen your entire body. Fruits should be eaten alone as a meal, not in combination with vegetables or proteins, on an empty stomach. You should wait 1-2 hours before eating other foods. Melons are best eaten without other fruits. Avocados are best combined with low starchy vegetables or acid fruits. Tomatoes may be combined with low starchy vegetables and either nuts or avacados. Eat only one protein food at a meal. Fats inhibit the digestion of protein. Liquids should not be drank with or immediately following a meal (it dilutes your digestive fluids).

I hope this was somewhat helpful. Good luck on the journey!
  • joemma
    joemma Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    THAKS GUYS....
    MY BOYFRIEND WAS ON IT FOR 1 MONTH LAST YEAR, HE LOST OVER A STONE AND A HALF...WITH NO EXCERSISE!!
    IT JUST A VERY EXTREME DIET AND JUST DON'T KNOW IF ILL BE ABLE TO STICK TO IT..
    XX
  • Pange33
    Options
    I'm vegan, and I hate to cook. I should probably incorporate raw food into my diet. Not that it doesn't require preparation, but it may be a good way for me to get better nutrition. I should look into it!
  • joemma
    Options
    well i read a bit into it......and some people on it were eating like 2 whole pineapples and 2 litres of orange juice for breakfast,10 bannanas for dinner, and then like a salad or another like 10 pieces of fruit for tea.....
    I do enjoy eating fruit but the thought of eating this much!!!...hhhhhmmmm
    it sound realy hard....
    x
  • jillcaudill
    Options
    Also a food processor and spiral slicer are must haves to be able to prepare some of the best raw recipes. :)
  • jillcaudill
    Options
    well i read a bit into it......and some people on it were eating like 2 whole pineapples and 2 litres of orange juice for breakfast,10 bannanas for dinner, and then like a salad or another like 10 pieces of fruit for tea.....
    it sound realy hard....
    x

ummm... that sounds very strange... don't do that! lol
  • joemma
    Options
    My biggest tip is get a good recipe book or two or three! There are some delicious meals you can make. It just takes time and research but you will find what you like. I love raw foods, but it's not a lifestyle for me. I just incorporate dishes here and there. The nutritional benefits are so much higher than cooked or processed foods.

Here is a quote from The Garden of Eden Raw Fruit and Vegetable Recipes by Phyllis Avery "Man's physical and mental problems began when his diet changed from raw fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds to cooked vegetables, flesh, and grains. A vast quantity of existing evidence shows that a predominantly raw diet can reverse bodily degeneration which accompanies long term illness, retard the rate at which you age, lower your cholesterol, produce natural weight loss, rid the body of toxins, produce clearer thinking, and reduce your normal amount of sleep. Raw food increases your energy because much less energy is wasted eliminating the toxins developed in cooked foods.

Another big thing I've learned is that foods properly combined streamline digestion, promote weight loss, and energize and strengthen your entire body. Fruits should be eaten alone as a meal, not in combination with vegetables or proteins, on an empty stomach. You should wait 1-2 hours before eating other foods. Melons are best eaten without other fruits. Avocados are best combined with low starchy vegetables or acid fruits. Tomatoes may be combined with low starchy vegetables and either nuts or avacados. Eat only one protein food at a meal. Fats inhibit the digestion of protein. Liquids should not be drank with or immediately following a meal (it dilutes your digestive fluids).

I hope this was somewhat helpful. Good luck on the journey!

Thanks for this...xx
  • JulieTX86
    Options
    it sound realy hard....
    x

That is WAYYYYY to much sugar too. You really need to incorporate a lot more veggies into the diet... not just fruit because it is raw. Wow your blood sugars would peak, then your insulin would peak trying to get the blood sugar back down, and then you would probably have a crash. Have you ever looked into the glycemic index? That would probably be a really great thing to look at for a diet like this to help keep your blood sugars level.
  • joemma
    Options
    going compleatly raw will be realy hard.....i can cope with out meat but not being able to eat breed or soup or anything warm....dont know how long i could stick to it????
  • joemma
    Options
    it sound realy hard....
    x

This is what i thought going raw was....all the people that promote it look amazingly healthy and not an inch of fat on them..????????????????
  • JulieTX86
    Options
    it sound realy hard....
    x

This is what i thought going raw was....all the people that promote it look amazingly healthy and not an inch of fat on them..????????????????

Are you quoting me? I can't tell...
    If you are... then the amounts of fruit you are talking about is really freaking me out (nursing student here) and they drill into our heads to watch for over eating fruits b/c it raises blood sugar, which spikes insulin etc. Fruits are full of sugar *yes it is better then eating sugar from candy bars etc. b/c they have a better glycemic index then the candy bar* but you still really do need to be careful of overeating on fruits. Different fruits and vegetables have different numbers on the glycemic index, some higher, some lower... you should try to find a good balance of fruit and veggies based on the glycemic scale. The lower the glycemic index the slower glucose is released, the higher the glycemic index, the more rapid spike you get. Not to mention because of the slower release of glucose your body is supposed to have a longer feeling of satiety.
  • JulieTX86
    Options
    When I did raw food I made tons of smoothies filled with massive amounts of spinach and kale. Then I added in things like carrots, cucumbers and some berries. When I did raw food I would say 80-90% of my diet was vegetables, and the rest fruits. Except I did eat raw cashews too. Yum. :)
  • secostley
    secostley Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    It's a great diet, but it is very much a lifestyle. In my experience the benefits are quick and healthy weight loss, reductions in A1c blood sugar levels (as it impacts diabetics) and overall well being. Combined with exercise, I've seen excellent results in others.

It does take awhile to get the hang of it and get used to it, but in the long run it's a great way to live.

God Bless!

Shawn