How much can you save by shopping healthy?

Options
lisawest
lisawest Posts: 798 Member
Very frequently I hear people complain that it's difficult to eat healthy because it is so expensive. I am NOT arguing that processes/boxed food is cheaper and "easier" in the short term, and this is not a post about the cost of health care later in life.

This is purely a post about the awesome deals and savings I found at the store today.

For the last month I've been collecting the coupons from each Sunday's paper, and I've been using a couponing website (there are a bunch of them that are good, I use www.couponmom.com). I've also been going to my chosen store's website to load e-coupons onto my shopper's card, and to print out coupons. Between the coupons and shopping 90% sales, I have saved an average of 25% on each trip. Today was $76!:happy:

What are some tips and tricks that you use to save $$ while you're on this journey?

Replies

• dspearsb
    dspearsb Posts: 186
    Options
    I do agree that shopping healthy is very expensive. But I am glad that I'm not the only one using coupons! My family always laughs at me because I use coupons for everything. I buy my meat in bulk at BJs or Sams and then separate it into pounds for easy cooking. I also use BJs coupons plus the manufacturer's coupons on products we eat a lot of.

Sometimes I save $50-70 in just coupons alone, not including the sale prices. It takes a lot of discipline but it is possible.
  • mmoyer1978
    mmoyer1978 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It is expensive, but it lasts longer too if you're only eating your portion sizes.
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I usually buy whatever vegetables are on sale and cheap veggies whenever I need them, then I make a *big* portion of something full of veggies so I can reheat it quickly throughout the week. I also make sure to only buy what I need (no point in buying a giant heart of celery when I'm really only going to use a couple of sticks). I also buy protein whenever it goes on sale and prep and freeze it, even if I've got lots in the freezer--this helps tide me over through the weeks when there's nothing "good" on sale in the meat department.

I've actually been surprised at how much cheaper "healthy" eating is. I can make a rockin' stir-fry that'll last me for a couple of dinners for the same price (if not less) than boxed/takeout dinners...
  • HealthyishWithMaggieG
    Options
    When I was married, less particular about nutrition (boxed/canned foods) and couponing frequently, I'd save every coupon I could find. Some stores are lenient about expiration dates and will take expired ones. About once a month, I'd shop when the stores were doing competing "super double" coupon days. They would double the coupons, up to $1. So, I'd combine the sale prices with the super double coupons.

Then, one store went a step further. If you bought certain frozen dinners (and a few other items), you'd receive a coupon for a certain $ amount off your next purchase. These days, I'd shop late at night (not busy & the cashiers just want to get the shift over). I'd usually be upfront with the cashier. I'd tell them that I'm going to purchase x# of frozen dinners, take them to my car, come back in, use the extra $ off coupon with the item specific coupons and will continue to do so until I get as many as I'd like. Usually, they don't make me go through the process and will just process them in batches, in the order I request so I'd get the maximum number of coupons from my purchases to use on my "next" purchase.

My best shopping trip ever... I went to 3 stores in a single night. I purchased about $575 worth of groceries for $89. Time consuming to plan it out? Hell yes! But it was well worth it.
  • leighdlady
    Options
    This is so interesting. I am a coupon clipper myself. I love coupons, but since I have started on my weight loss journey, I haven't been using a lot of them. I cannot seem to find coupons on fruit, vegetables, skim milk, wheat bread, fish, and chicken. So my coupons are expiring on me. I thought that I was spending more money on groceries. My husband is great at budgeting and when he looked at money spent on groceries the months before I started on my weight loss journey and compared it to the recent months, we were shocked. We actually spent less in the recent months. And I am sure that we will spent even less on future prescriptions and doctor bills since we are living a healthier lifestyle.
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this discussion! Cause I have spent more on groceries since I started this than I did in a half year last year!!
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    i am a big-time believer in keeping a well-stocked pantry/freezer and closely following sales/promos/rebates/coupons! I save about 50% on my shopping, sometimes more sometimes less... I'd write more but my laptop battery is dying... back tomorrow! :):flowerforyou:
  • NYIceQueen
    NYIceQueen Posts: 1,423
    Options
    I do a lot of coupons, and being in the tundra, "fresh" food is a myth for most of the year. But you can get coupons for frozen veggies, etc.

As for the sides, you know you can make them half way better by using skim/nonfat milk and diet butter vs the full grade stuff, and watch your portions. :smile:
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    I don't keep a detailed budget, but I'm pretty sure that my grocery bill has gone down thanks to healthy eating. A lot of this is now eating proper portion size. A jar of peanut butter lasts a long time when you use it 16 grams at a time. Same with olive oil at 15 ml a go or a snack of 20 grams of almonds. My most expensive extravagance is trying out any new fruit or vegetables that happen to catch my eye. Lately I've been eating pomelos. They are tasty and for some reason I find peeling them to be kind of fun.
  • SoldierWife99
    Options
    Now that I'm eating healthy, I save about 3500 calories a week! :wink: