Personal Trainer Certification ????

Options
I'm considering becoming a persoanal trainer. there are so many certification programs out there I'm overwhelmed. Any advice on which certification program might be the best?

Replies

• purplespeckle
    Options
    I was wondering this myself.
  • adriayellow11
    Options
    For pilates Power Pilates ;)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,248 Member
    Options
    I would start by making sure they actually have examinations you need to pass. If they don't it would be pretty meaningless certification since they would have no standards you would have to meet. Having said that, I am curious as well. I have played with the idea of becoming a personal trainer since I had my stroke. I know many people could use the encouragement and direction I could provide. I have looked at various programs, but I do have a full time job, so I have not started studying in any of them yet. I did, however, discard all that simply gave certification based on you saying what sort of experience you have. That is, in my opinion, nothing better than the degrees by mail, and would be fraudulent representation to any clients I might ever have.
  • rileysowner
    Options

Thanks for that. At least one of those was the one I was considering. It will still be a while before I go for it, if I do. Anything more.

So, what do most certified personal trainers charge? I have never used one, and the small town I am in doesn't have many (if any.)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I have strong opinions on this subject that most people don't like to hear, but this is how I usually respond to this type of question:

A certification should be the end of of one's training and education, not the beginning. A certificate is meant to validate that you have a certain minimum knowledge base and have achieved a certain level of competence. It should not represent the training itself.

Another perspective would be to look at one's current profession and ask: am I trained enough in this profession so that I could be a consultant to others or start an independent business? And if the answer is "yes", then the next question would be: am I equally qualified and knowledgeable in the areas of health and fitness? If the answer is not "yes" again, then IMO, that person has got some work to do before they should even consider sitting for a certification examination.

There is a difference between being a "personal trainer" and being a "fitness buddy". Unfortunately many of today's trainers fall in the latter category.

That being said, you may have those qualities and that dedication, so here is what I would recommend:

Get the study materials for the ACSM Personal Trainer Exam (The Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription (8th edition) and the ACSM's Resources for the Personal Trainer (3rd edition). I would also get the study materials for the NSCA Certified Personal Trainer Exam. Whether or not you decide to go with either of these certifications, they are essential foundation materials, IMO. (You could also check out the ACE personal trainer study set--I am not as familiar with that and I don't think the material is as in-depth as the others, but maybe someone who has taken the ACE can provide more detail).

While you are studying, you could work on some practical skills--either train some friends and family or find a trainer to assist.

Once you think you are ready, IMO, either the ACSM, NSCA or ACE certs are the most recognized and marketable.

Good luck.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    A certification should be the end of of one's training and education, not the beginning. A certificate is meant to validate that you have a certain minimum knowledge base and have achieved a certain level of competence. It should not represent the training itself.

A qualified professional understands that there's NEVER an "end to one's education and training". Knowledge is an ongoing process. Certifications and degrees represent completion of only a certain method of training/education.

Edit: for a typo.
  • karl1744
    Options
    As a master trainer From the UK I have seen the fitness industry become a joke, 8 or 9 week courses then your a PT Thats worl wide, you cannot learn the origins or insertion points in that time properly never mind ALL the knowledge that it takes to become a PT. Sorry if I offend anyone on here, but it is so fustrating when you working next to people who call themselfs PT's and they dont have a clue. The british army put me through my basic Fitness instructor course and that was 4 months on its own and was basic, i then did another 6 month course for my level 2, when i left i then went and did sports science which took 3 yrs then my sports massage course, I am now nearing the end of my sports nutrition Course which has taken me 2 yrs........ I have worked all the way through as a PT and travelled the world doing it from average joe's to athletes and celebs and guess what I am still learning lol.......
    To answer your question Make sure its a decent course anything that is less than 1 yr full time in my eyes isnt worth having also, any exam which is multiple choice stay away from. When it comes to having to know your stuff in a gym there is no multiple choice you have to know whats wrong with your client there and then.

I will do some digging around for you, were are you located in the world???
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

A qualified professional understands that there's NEVER an "end to one's education and training". Knowledge is an ongoing process. Certifications and degrees represent completion of only a certain method of training/education.

Edit: for a typo.

Not what I was referring to, but certainly a valid point that I agree with.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    These cert's remind a lot of Information Technology certs. There's rarely an "internship" required. In the IT world my experience is someone with all the certs in the world is useless without experience. And i think all certs are the same, Class or boot camp, test, cert = good at taking a test.

I agree with Azdak
  • karl1744
    Options
    These cert's remind a lot of Information Technology certs. There's rarely an "internship" required. In the IT world my experience is someone with all the certs in the world is useless without experience. And i think all certs are the same, Class or boot camp, test, cert = good at taking a test.

I agree with Azdak

Totally agree, I have been a PT for just over 10yrs now and I am still researching new things and finding new ways of doing stuff, even with my vast knowlwdge and back ground. I learnt more in 2 months when I worked for a hospital doing rehab then I ever did on all my courses. I only took that job to open my eyes to other ways of training.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Considering what some people say there PT's say in these forums makes it quite clear what their PT' s real world experience is with each individual on a case by case basis.
  • stormywxs
    stormywxs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Thanks all of you for your suggestions and opinions. I value all of them. I definitely need internship, apprenticeship and experience on my journey to becoming a CPT. The question I should have asked was: Which of the certification programs offers the best study materials, courses and exams to prepare academically for certification? I realize there is no shortcut for experience and Internship/apprenticeship will be part of my process. I appreciate any guidance in my pursuit of CPT certification. I will find a local mentor but anyone who wants to take me on as my mfp mentor is welcome. Thank you
  • ladybu6205
    ladybu6205 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I was given a catalog by the instructor at my church who leads the Aerobics classes there as I too have set a goal for myself to become a certified Personal trainer. My goal is to take some health and fitness classes at our local college to further my knowledge before taking the PT Courses though... The instructor is a retired Health and Fitness Instructor from our local college. The program she first became certified though and still uses to remain certified is through NETA. National Exercise Trainers Association. They have many courses to choose from. Their website is www.netafit.com
  • rileysowner
    Options
    I would agree with all those who say this is more than just some 2-4 month course and multiple choice exam. I am not a personal trainer, but have been studying health and fitness on my own since high school. I, however, neglected that area of my life for years in spite of a continuing interest in it, hence my great weight gain. Now that health issues, which thankfully are starting to disappear due to my weight loss and exercise, have moved me to get back into things, I find my interest is still strong, and I would love to be able to help others working from my experience. Certification would be something I would seek in years to come when I have done training to update my knowledge and experience. I do have a Masters degree in an unrelated area, but quickly realized doing my Masters that what it teaches you is not so much your area of study, although is does teach you that, but how to research things and learn. I am confident that I am more than capable to learn what I need to, and the certification for me would be to verify what I will be working on learning in the next several years. At this point, although I could probably pass one of those multiple choice certification exams, I still have a way to go in my journey to health, and want to complete that so I can serve as an example of what is possible. That will likely take another year or two in itself. At this point I am quite willing to help others as far as I can, and my success has served to motivate others to seek to lose weight before their weight causes the health problems I had.