Recommend your running sneakers...

Options
I'm planning on starting the C25K program once the snow clears here in NY and I can get out with my jogging stroller. I want to get running sneakers and looking for some suggestions???

Thanks =)

Replies

• heffero
    Options
    id try clogs
  • jmanthei98
    jmanthei98 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am currently using Brooks with insoles for extra cushion. I love them and they were right around the $100 range.
  • phaedrus101
    Options
    Go to a running store and have them analyze your gait and suggest shoes.
  • bdavenport62
    Options
    I would say go to a running shoe store and have them show you some shoes that would work. Everybody's foot is different, as is the way they run/jog. My feet are wide and I have normal pronation . I was running in asics but just got a pair of pretty sweet saucony's.
  • jamezyjamez
    Options
    I would find a good specialty running store and have your gait analyzed to understand the proper type of running shoe for your specific gait. It really is important to have the right type of shoes or you may be more vulnerable to injury. Most, if not all, of the major running shoe brands (e.g. Asics, Brooks, Nike, Saucony, Mizuno) will have multiple shoe models in each category at various price points. Personally, I am a neutral runner and like the cushion in the Asics Gel-Nimbus.
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends upon your feet; everyone needs something different from their running shoe. I used to buy whatever running/walking shoes I came across when I needed a pair, but I started C25K last week and my old shoes were bothering me, so I went into a running store and had them help me find the right ones. They were really knowledgeable and spent a long time fitting me and helping me figure out just what type of shoe I needed. They brought out almost a dozen pairs for me to try until I found the right ones. Pretty much any running store will do this for you and the service is free, but you might end up paying a little more for the shoes than if you got them elsewhere. For me it was totally worth it. I ended up getting Brooks Airel Motion-Control shoes, and I'm really happy with them.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Like most people here have eluded to, nobody can realistically recommend a running shoe, because nobody has your feet!

Things that matter are:

*** The shoe needs to fit... both in terms of length (most people need a size up from normal shoes) and also in terms of the width of the toe box (some people have narrow feet and some people's feet are quite wide)

*** The shoe needs to be right for purpose (there a high mileage training shoes, lightweight racing shoes, etc) so it's important you buy what you need

*** There are many running shoes for different running surfaces (anything from road shoes, to trail shoes, cross country shoes or fell running shoes)

*** The shoe needs to fit your gait, i.e. your running style (some people are heel strikers, some land on their midfoot, some are forefoot runners... some people pronate, some supinate) - ideally a suitably qualified member of staff in a running shop should watch you run in different shoes to see which shoe is most suited to your gait

Things that really dont matter very much...

Brand...

Some people will tell you they swear by Nike, some will love Asics, or Mizuno, or Saucony... Most major running shoe manufacturers all provide a good product. The "type" of shoe e.g. stability shoe, neutral cushioning or whatever you may need, is much more important.

Don't just buy a shoe because your friend tells you they are "nice". In running shoes one man's meat is another man's poison.

And no "gimmick" shoes like easy tones, slender tones etc etc.

Happy running.
  • hajjcomb
    hajjcomb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I also recommend going to a specialty running store for guidance. Make sure to ask about their return policy, as a good store will given you a couple weeks with the shoe to try it out (indoors, mind you- as in indoor track or treadmill)- to see how it works for you.

There are a ton of options. Try a lot of different shoes on to get a feel for the differences. You will find that some shoe makes just fit your foot better than others. Take your time.

My personal belief is to run is as little shoe as you can get away with. There is a lot of interesting debate going on in the running and shoe manufacturing community about shoe design.
  • mistawalka
    mistawalka Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Ditto on getting a professional fitting from a running store.

Interesting enough my experience with such was they recommended two brands that fit my foot and running style - but ultimately recommended the cheaper of the two as the best for me. I found both fit well and were comfortable to run in (they had a tread mill for testing them) but the tread pattern of the more expensive ones had a ridge across the ball of the foot that didn't feel as good to roll forward over as the cheaper ones.

Currently running in some Mizuno's
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I was just fitted for new running shoes on Friday. I was always afraid to go because of price, however I have become so troubled with a cranky knee that I bit the bullet. It was a wonderful experience and my shoes cost about $79. The ones I bought last year at the discount shoe store were about $75. Price was not an issue. A stability shoe was recommended and I bought Saucony Progrid Guide 3 (it was on sale too!). Looking forward to really enjoying my running this year.
  • jmanthei98
    jmanthei98 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and have them analyze your gait and suggest shoes.

Great point! I'm going to do that when it's time for a new pair of kicks. ;-)
  • krisjc210
    krisjc210 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your input...will have to find a running store in my area!!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I love Brooks, but as everyone else has said, go to a running store and get fitted!! They should be able to get you in the right shoes. It makes a huge difference. Good shoes are well worth the investment...you can't put a price on knees, sciatica, lower back, etc.

And they should be selling you a pair of shoes about a size or so larger than what you normally wear. Your toenails will thank you!!
  • backinthenines
    Options
    Good shoes are well worth the investment...you can't put a price on knees, sciatica, lower back, etc.

Very good point.

Plenty of people end up paying a fortune in sports massage and physio because they didn't want to spend twenty bucks more for a good assessment and shoe.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    The running store is a good suggestion, I like the asics brand and I dont pronate so dont have to buy the super expensive ones, the best piece of advice i've ever been given is to get a good pair for running, It makes a HUGE difference.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions for those of us who aren't runners and want to do the C25K and need shoes? I started jogging a couple of times but had to stop half way through b/c my shoes are shot. They're comfy to wear, but lack arch support (they're new balances, but 3 years old and worn on a casual basis). I would LOVE to get a pair of Mizuno Alchemy due to my overpronation but I don't want to spend $100+ before I even really get started at running. There's a pair of New balance 400s that I've seen that also come in a wide size that I'd like to try and hope they're not a waste of $.
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    If you're in NYC there's a runner's store in Union Square that can measure your gait and recommend shoes.
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    (Repost)
  • backinthenines
    Options
    Any suggestions for those of us who aren't runners and want to do the C25K and need shoes? I started jogging a couple of times but had to stop half way through b/c my shoes are shot. They're comfy to wear, but lack arch support (they're new balances, but 3 years old and worn on a casual basis). I would LOVE to get a pair of Mizuno Alchemy due to my overpronation but I don't want to spend $100+ before I even really get started at running. There's a pair of New balance 400s that I've seen that also come in a wide size that I'd like to try and hope they're not a waste of $.

If you know what you need, based on previous gait analysis, I would try to get to a running shop with a short list of shoes you would like to try. A good running shop should have a treadmill where you can test out the running feel of a shoe.

Even for pronators there are various shoes to chose from, depending on the degree of your pronation. You get light stability (equivalent to the Asics 1150), moderate stability (equivalent to Asics 2150s or even more stable the Kayano) all the way to complete motion control (equivalent to the Asics Foundation or Evolution).

If you like Mizuno, they have a clever website which makes allows you to assess online which of their shoe range might be best suited to your needs.

http://www.myprecisionfit.com/test/welcome?lang=en_GB&noAnswerSelected=

Hope the link works if cut & pasted.
  • laura4410
    laura4410 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    What exactly qualifies as a specialty running store? Im from small town Indiana, and our local sports stores know nothing. So I tried D ick's and I swear the guy just wanted to sell me the most expensive kind. Didnt know anything about looking at my gait. I mean Im not in the middle of no where, but still other than the big sports stores I dont think I have ever heard of special running stores.