Are you frickin' kiddin' me????

Options
Ok, I am doing great with all my numbers except for sodium. My 1.5 cups of cottage cheese has 1147 grams!!! WTH?? I drink more than the daily recommendation of 8 cups of water per day. So, my question is if I'm drinking plenty of water does it sort of counteract this sodium? I like soup too but it also loaded. It's depressing!!! Geessshhhh........dang sodium! :angry:

Replies

• glittersoul
    Options
    You can buy no sodium cottage cheese. It doesn't taste as good though but you can add stuff to it to change that.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am doing great with all my numbers except for sodium. My 1.5 cups of cottage cheese has 1147 grams!!! WTH?? I drink more than the daily recommendation of 8 cups of water per day. So, my question is if I'm drinking plenty of water does it sort of counteract this sodium? I like soup too but it also loaded. It's depressing!!! Geessshhhh........dang sodium! :angry:
    I know, I absolutely LOVE Cottage cheese, until I started watching my sodium :P
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I live in Louisiana, and have low blood pressure, I just don't track my sodium, lol
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Sodium's a hard one. It's in almost everything unless you make all your food at home, which is an option. You can make your own soups pretty easily, using low-sodium broth and flavoring with herbs and spices rather than salt. I used to make soup in huge batches and then freeze it in baggies that held one bowl full.

Drinking more water will help keep you from retaining water weight, but as I just recently learned from someone here on the forum (and further research backed it up), sodium can cause problems with potassium absorption. You need to try to keep it under control so you're getting the potassium you need.
  • Diya13
    Diya13 Posts: 24
    Options
    You can also get lower sodium soups, it's insane how much they put in the regular stuff!
  • jodie1306
    Options
    I have no idea about my sodium intake, I just wanted to say thanks for making me smile cause that's what I say all the time when life isn't going my way. Thank you, that was what I needed today.

Jodes
    :-)
  • ready_for_a_change
    Options
    I am on my first day of "controlling my sodium" it is insane how much sodium is in everything. I did good today. I am trying to develop my own recipes for low sodium stuff that tastes good, this is going to be a long battle. But I have high BP so I gotta do it!
  • BirdsofaFeather
    BirdsofaFeather Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    OMG, I am with you girl!!! I just got back from Applebee's and had the Weight Watcher's Chipotle Lime Chicken. I looked it up on my phone to make sure the calories and fat were okay; and they were fine! I get home to enter it in and it's 5,250 grams of sodium!!! I weight-in on Monday mornings! All my water for today will be STORED. I looked up the other meal I almost got and it had 1,800 grams of sodium. I SUCK.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I had to cut soups out. I have high blood pressure, at age 25 I did. I'm of normal body weight, but had to cut out soup. I don't eat meat, and so I eat cottage cheese, and where I shop....they don't have the low sodium cottage cheese. So...I just get it every other week and try to limit it.

Good luck! I'd love to hear more responses too :)
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese suggestion:
    (cause i love it too but cannot handle the sodium)

The dry curd cottage cheese has so little salt.. BUT is rather like eating wadded up cardboard *L* soooo.. 'moisten' it with a lil greek yogurt!
    *grins*
    works like a charm, low sodium and benefit of extra protein!
  • yyzdnl
    yyzdnl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Low sodium, don't even look at celery.

I took in over 4K of sodium today and it all came from egg,milk, toast, and crab legs all home cooked with out added salt. I am starting to have questions about the whole evil sodium thing. Reducing sodium never helped my blood pressure and I just took my pressure and it isn't elevated.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling really dehydrated even though I drink between eight and twelve glasses of water a day, so I've been cutting back on sodium. So far, I haven't had a problem with it, but I'm avoiding canned soups. I also don't eat frozen dinners like Lean Cuisine. I buy no salt added canned tomatoes. You can also buy low sodium chicken broth and soups. For me, just being aware of high sodium foods is enough - I check labels before buying stuff (usually I just focus on calories, fats, sugars, and carbs).
  • glittersoul
    Options
    Don't even look at celery. I took in over 4K of sodium today and it all came from egg,milk, toast, and crab legs all home cooked with out added salt. I am starting to have questions about the whole evil sodium thing. Reducing sodium never helped my blood pressure and I just took my pressure and it isn't elevated.

There is a big evil thing about sodium but they are finally doing studies that show the correlation to low potassium/high sodium levels and hypertension & high blood pressure etc. because these two electrolytes should balance each other out. The info has been there for ages but the medical community is finally starting to pay attention to it. So I wouldn't worry too much unless you have medical concerns.
  • NikkiWork
    NikkiWork Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You can do this! Sodium is now even lower not 2,500 mg its going down to 1,300 mg a DAY! Start slowly so you don't get to frustrated and work your way lower. Soup is always high in sodium you can search for low sodium recipes I use Mrs. Dash (it has 0 sodium) and I buy all the flavors and they also have marinades! For Soups you can look up "Kitchen Basics" Unsalted they have Vegetable-Beef & Chicken Stock, not sure where you live but I found that my Super Target has it and so does Kroger! Good luck! :)
  • yyzdnl
    yyzdnl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Looking in the MFP food database at caloric sodium ratios I find.

Oscar Mayer Hot Dog
    calories/portion/sodium
    130/1 link/540mg

Celery
    calories/portion/sodium
    130/9.2 cup/750mg

For the same caloric intake an Oscar Mayer Hot Dog will contribute 210 less grams of sodium than Celery.
  • jenlen65
    jenlen65 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses! I don't have high blood pressure or other health issues but I will really try to cut down the sodium and am looking for low sodium soup recipes.
  • Hotlips69
    Options
    Daily intake of Sodium is 1600mg! Watch sodium intake as in many cases it could be retained water from too high Sodium intake!
  • NikkiWork
    NikkiWork Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to post this link to Celery benefits...http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=14
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I dont track sodium, and I eat a lot!!! I know this as I add salf to pretty much every thing I eat. I do however make sure that I drink loads of water and exercise, the weight then takes care of itself
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    You can do this! Sodium is now even lower not 2,500 mg its going down to 1,300 mg a DAY! Start slowly so you don't get to frustrated and work your way lower. Soup is always high in sodium you can search for low sodium recipes I use Mrs. Dash (it has 0 sodium) and I buy all the flavors and they also have marinades! For Soups you can look up "Kitchen Basics" Unsalted they have Vegetable-Beef & Chicken Stock, not sure where you live but I found that my Super Target has it and so does Kroger! Good luck! :)

I didn't know Mrs. Dash has marinades. OMG! I have to find some.I use all of the seasonings now and they are great.

I track my sodium but I don't have high blood pressure nor am I at risk. I guess I feel if I'm putting in all this work to change my lifestyle I might as well do it all the way.

Well except when I eat my steam crab legs and shrimp w/o seasoning. They are extremely high in sodium but I drink 128 oz of water a day so I should be good.