When Nutritional Info ISN'T Available

sparkle1014
sparkle1014 Posts: 16
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
OK. So I treated myself to some Wingstop after church. When it was time for me to document what I ate in MFP food diary, there were a few discrepancies in the calories (several entries of the same item). Therefore I decided to compare it to the nutritional information on Wingstop's website. However, Wingstop doesn't have nutritional info. because they state their food is fresh and made daily, etc. Frustrated, I simply selected items so that I could gauge what I ate. So, my question to you all is: What do you do in a situation like this?

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,133 Member
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: when I can't find the exact calorie count, I do exactly what you do, find similar items and pick the one that looks best........then I resolve to eat more at home where I can be more certain of the calories :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    I would do just what you did: choose items that are similar and do the best you can. Tonight my husband got Chinese take-out from a local Mom and Pop shop, so they dont' have nutritional info available. I just used an entry that sounded close in the database and left it alone. Just do the best you can, and continue tracking. It might not be exactly right, but it will be close.
  • I had the same issue at Carlo's O'Kellys! I totally just guessed! I looked up other Mexican food and based it off that. I try to stick to places that have a nutrition guide... good Luck girl!
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Maybe try finding something similar to what you ate that's close enough..That's what I do when I can't find it..
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    You can find that info if you do a google search on "Wingstop nutrition". You 'll come up with a website called "Livestrong.com", and that posts nutritional info from all kinds of restaurants. Check it out!
  • Thank you for the feedback. Since I've been watching what I eat, etc. I've cooked more at home so that I can KNOW what I consume :smile: However, I like to reward/treat myself every once in a while.
  • If I dont have the nutritional facts, I tend to search for my food before I eat it. If I can't find them on here, online, etc, then I back away slowly, and dont eat it! LOL
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    I just found this when I googled Wingstop nutritional value it's on MFP:

Wingstop - Garlic & Parmesan Wings - Traditional 5 Wings
    Servings: 2 wings
    Calories 120
    Sodium 440 mg
    Total Fat 9 g
    Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 3 g
    Total Carbs 1 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g
    Dietary Fiber 0 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g
    Sugars 0 g
    Trans 0 g
    Protein 9 g
    Cholesterol 45 mg
    Vitamin A 0%
    Calcium 0%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Iron 0
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    I agree with the others. Try to find the closest one you can. We ate my mom's yesterday. She made fried chicken. (horror! I haven't had that in eons!!) So, I had a breast and removed the skin and coating. I ate only the meat. I chose a KFC breast with skin and coating removed for the nutrition content. I thought that would be close enough. Also, the one she made was nowhere near as large as one would be at KFC, so I figured I overestimated.

If that place doesn't have nutrition information on their website, and they don't have any information in the store, I try to pick the healthiest thing on the menu, or I just don't eat there anymore. I usually know ahead of time what I am going to order when we are going somewhere. If there's no nutrition information, I go elsewhere. Hope this helped!! :smile:
  • Belle after today, I thought about the same thing. :wink: Thanks dgfurman; I saw that too. Thanks for the advice kappyblu.
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    All great advice!! I usually pick something similar...then go for the one with more calories. Just in case. I figure it's better to overestimate. lol
  • That is so smart to overestimate; thanks elvbierbaum.
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    That is so smart to overestimate; thanks elvbierbaum.

No problem! I think if I pick the smaller calorie one I'm likely screwing myself in the long run. lol
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    I look for something comparable and if there's a list, I pick the item with the most calories.
This discussion has been closed.