Help, need info on heart rate monitor :)

Options
Ok I just purchased a MIO Motion heart rate monitor. Who has it, and is it accurate? I just want a good one that is accurate on the calories I burn during a exercise, and the distance when I run. Should I upgrade to a polar??? Please help ;)

Replies

• merebear
    merebear Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    From my experience with a couple of brands, they vary but aren't always accurate. I have always heard that the most accurate ones have a chest strap but I wasn't interested in spending that much money. Sometimes mine will be about even with what MFP calculates, otherwise it reads high...never low. Keep it and give it a shot or if you have the extra cash then splurge on a Polar.
  • liz_bolin
    liz_bolin Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I bought the MIO HRM first, I got it because it was on Dr. Phil, but when I got it home I did not like it one bit. I started reading the reviews about it. I took it back the same day and got a Polar 6.. LOVE it... It is worth the extra money.
  • mandyfaith
    Options
    Oh thank you! I already think I want to take mine back. It is SOOO difficult to figure out. I have even watched the step by step video on their website. Is polar easy to work?
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Polar FT60. I didn't even open the manual and I had it all set up in less than 10 minutes. I've compared the calories burned to what's displayed on the treadmill for my age and weight and it's all fairly relative. Some slight differences.
  • ITTYbitty04
    ITTYbitty04 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I wanted a Polar heart rate monitor also but didnt want to send the extra money. I just bought a very inexpensive one from walmart and it cost $48 and it counts calories, grams of fat burned, has a chest strap, you can set your minimun and max heart rate to alarm when out of the zone, and has other features.
    So far the couple of times i have used it was very close to what MFP calculated(usually a little lower). It a SX Universal Combo ECG heart rate monitor with any touch technology.
    I bought walmarts 1yr warrant for $3 so if it breaks or stops working I'll take it back and get another one.
    take a look at your walmart and see if they have it or check online. It also only took me about 10-15 minute to set up.
    Good luck and hope you find something you like!:smile:
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Polar F6. Since getting a BodyMediaFit I have learned that it does log a little high, but you'd be safe rounding down when logging. Even before I was rounding down I was losing logging what my HRM said (sometimes I would subtract what I would have burned anyway sitting on the couch, IE if I did Yoga and it said 258, I would log only about 180 or 200 of them.)