+1
  • eag8302
    Options
    Weight training and eating clean.

What kind?
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    It depends on what type of shape your are in currently. Just weight training is not going to help you shed the pounds if your are obese. You would have to do cardio as well.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    It depends on what type of shape your are in currently. Just weight training is not going to help you shed the pounds if your are obese. You would have to do cardio as well.

Nope. Weight training at an intensity to trigger muscle growth with appropriate calorie deficit will drop the fat like no tomorrow. Cardio and burning a boatload of calories just means you need to eat more. Very little fat is burned during cardio. 100 sessions of 600 calorie burn uses less than 5 pounds of fat as fuel.
  • eag8302
    Options
    I want to build muscle and burn fat, what should i do pyro13g?
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    There's almost no way to build muscle and burn fat at the same time unless you're really experienced and can cycle carbs (eat less than 50g 1 day and eat over 180g the other) or if you're a begginer and have never done weight training and eat well. Find out what your BMR is and then find an appropiate weight training routine. As you lose fat, your body will be more toned. You don't "need" cardio to lose fat, just eating less than what your BMR will shed off pounds.
  • pyro13g
    Options
    I want to build muscle and burn fat, what should i do pyro13g?

Lift weights and stay at a 500(1lb per week loss) to 1000(2lb a week loss). I'd start at the 500 and wait until loss stops, then drop 100 calories, wait for loss to stop and drop another 100. You'll have to research your current weight, height, age to determine the NET calorie level you shouldn't go below. For most men that is 1500 but that is higher for some men.

You can build muscle and lose fat at the same time at a calorie deficit and it works really well for beginning weight lifters. It's been proven time and time again. The naysayers usually get there info that is derived from specific instances in time. You may be burning fat at one period in, but you build muscle during another period in time. Heck, I've drop 17 pounds of fat and added almost 9 pounds muscle in 8 weeks in the past.

Judge for your self. http://www.drdarden.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=EFEFC44F413D51E3E53A3A1C1FF3C9F9.hydra?id=415445

Darden has shown this many times in his work as well as a boatload of others. You might wanna do some research on high volume weight lifting and high intensity low volume training and pick a place to start.
  • eag8302
    Options
    I need help getting tone?

Help.....Help.....Help....:smile:
  • pyro13g
    Options
    Follow the link I gave you at Dr Dardens website. The link I gave you was to unsoften athletes. If you're not an athlete then same workout, same example meal plan, but only 1500 calories if that's a proper low for you.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • pyro13g
    Options
    Don't eat this ever again. Generic - Healthy Choice Country Herb Chicken - Correct From the Box, 1 Meal
  • eag8302
    Options
    why not?
  • pyro13g
    Options
    Sugar
  • Skye76
    Skye76 Posts: 28
    Options
    Don't eat this ever again. Generic - Healthy Choice Country Herb Chicken - Correct From the Box, 1 Meal

This. You want lean meats, veggies, fruits, eggs. If it comes in a box, IT'S NOT FOOD. Stay away from anything processed. Couple this with strength training (compound lifts like squats, push presses, and bench presses), and you'll be amazed at how easily the weight comes off and the muscle goes on.
  • eag8302
    Options
    I have to finish the foods in the boxes. For this week
  • pyro13g
    Options
    I have to finish the foods in the boxes. For this week

Enjoy them this week, don't re-stock.
  • frenchfri87
    frenchfri87 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    pyro13g... No offense but I think you are giving some conflicting advice.. Healthy Choice Country Herb Chicken has 13g of sugar..
    then you recommended a meal plan by Dr. Darden... telling you to eat frozen meals for dinner.. the first of those listed is Healthy Choice Blackened Chicken.. 13g of sugar!

eag8302 sounds like a beginner to fitness and healthy eating.. and although frozen meals are not a super healthy option.. I think they can be an effective weight loss tool for someone who doesnt cook and needs to obviously learn portion sizes. Dr. Darden thinks so too. So cut the guy some slack please.
  • pyro13g
    Options
    pyro13g... No offense but I think you are giving some conflicting advice.. Healthy Choice Country Herb Chicken has 13g of sugar..
    then you recommended a meal plan by Dr. Darden... telling you to eat frozen meals for dinner.. the first of those listed is Healthy Choice Blackened Chicken.. 13g of sugar!

eag8302 sounds like a beginner to fitness and healthy eating.. and although frozen meals are not a super healthy option.. I think they can be an effective weight loss tool for someone who doesnt cook and needs to obviously learn portion sizes. Dr. Darden thinks so too. So cut the guy some slack please.

The O.P. is not on Dardens training program so the continued use of such food is not a good idea right now. It's a suitable elimination for where he is at right now until he commits. Using them will work with Darden's approach and when doing the work involved. Both from a mental standpoint and a fuel one.

Darden, the wise educated man he is with many training successes under his belt, refines his own previous thoughts. He recently stated he would have had the athletes in the link I provided only do two of the workouts per week.

And really, boxed food is driven by net income. If a company put the best thing for you in a box, they wouldn't be around long.
  • Flacachica
    Flacachica Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm certainly no expert... and a beginner at this myself. But I thought I'd share that I started doing Jillian Michaels "30 day shred" and it's kicking my butt!! :laugh: I have already lost 5 lbs in two weeks!! I feel my arms and abs getting more toned.

It's about a 20 minute workout., with three circuits - 6 mins each (3 mins strength training, 2 mins cardio, 1 min abs). I think it's GREAT and ANYBODY can do 20 minutes a day, right?? You just need some hand weights. Give it a try!