Alternatives for veggie dips?

Options
I love eating veggies with a dip, and I always use salad dressing. Generally it's the "Kraft - calorie wise" ones. However, I'm trying to transition slowly to a cleaner diet, without too many processed foods and unpronounceable ingredients. What else can I use to dip my veggies in? (Green peppers, carrots, cucumbers, zucchini, broccoli). It's important that it has some fat in it, in order to absorb and process the nutrients. I'd be happy to make my own dip, follow a recipe, or even buy a healthy dip, if only I knew what I was looking for!!

I hesitate to use peanut butter (too many calories!), and I've heard about humus. I dislike oil/vinegar dressings/dips. Anyone have other suggestions?? Thank you!!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt...mix in some herbs and spices and you're good to go.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Hummus. Tzatziki (made with a yogurt base). Maybe cottage cheese with some herbs?
  • mark62730
    Options
    hummus makes carrot and celery sticks taste very yummy!
  • ttfadm
    Options
    Hummus is amazing! They make all kinds of different ones that you can just buy at the store. There is a roasted garlic one that is to die for!!! Looking forward to see what ideas others share! Mmmmm, veggies and hummus! Good luck!
  • HulaGirlRen
    Options
    Hummus is amazing or this resipe i make ALOT!
    1tbls- white wine vigner
    3tbls-Olive Oil or EVOO
    Salt and pepper
    1Tbls-Dijoin mustard
    Mix togetther and you have a dressing dip like thing!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Hummus (you can make your own)
    cottage cheese
    Peanut butter
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    I have been using the laughing cow cheese wedges, may be too processed for you though.
    I can't say enough about homemade hummus, it is sooooo good! I make the same type of dip with other beans as well(black, navy, white...)
    The salad spritzers are pretty good to add a little flavor with less cals
    pizza sauce is actually pretty good with most veggies( mushrooms, olives, bell peppers, zuchinni, spinach)

But really, I have just trained myself to eat veggies as a snack on their own, and it is soo good. I even just eat baby spinach out of the bag like I would chips, veggies are sooo great!!
  • cleo77
    cleo77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    greek yoghurt is really good, just add your favourite herbs and spices.
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Puree cauliflower, mix in roasted red pepper hummus and fresh salsa. mmmmmm
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    baba ganouj

balsamic vinegarette (but gotta read that label like you said! - no HFCS)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I wonder if using silken tofu as a base might work....

Edit: found some...
    http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy-eating/tofu-onion-dip-superbowl-recipe-45012808
    http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/65629/spinach-tofu-dip
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/2-alarm-tofu-dip-recipe/index.html

tons more come up on a google search (i search silken tofu dip)
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I wonder if using silken tofu as a base might work....

Edit: found some...
    http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy-eating/tofu-onion-dip-superbowl-recipe-45012808
    http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/65629/spinach-tofu-dip
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/2-alarm-tofu-dip-recipe/index.html

tons more come up on a google search (i search silken tofu dip)

Nice! The tofu onion dip sounds great. These would be great for me since I'm lactose intolerant. Thanks for posting the links.
  • kianaik
    kianaik Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I like to puree avocado and greek or plain non-fat yogurt together with some garlic and onion type seasonings.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I do eat hummus from time to time, I think I'll have to make some again soon :)

Does anyone know how I can make a ranch-type dressing that isn't processed? Would a low-fat sour cream base work? Or should I go with yogurt? What's the difference between "greek" and regular yogurt?
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options
    What's the difference between "greek" and regular yogurt?

Greek yogurt is regular yogurt which has been strained. If you take regular yogurt and put it in a coffee filter and into the fridge for a while, you'd essentially end up with greek yogurt.
  • Amajoy
    Amajoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If you like ranch dip, make it yourself with one of those hidden valley ranch packets mixed with Fage Total 0% greek yogurt, its only 16 calories per 2 tbs. I figured out all the numbers in another post, I can find it if your interested.
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Sabra is making single serve hummus packets now!!!! Tastes great of course and it is easy to control the portion not to mention easier to take on the go!

Also, try some greek yogart, cilanto, and lemon zest in the food processor. Yummy!
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Those sound like fabulous ideas - thank you!!

Taso - how come one would want to eat greek vs regular? Is it just for the firmer texture? What is being strained out? I love yogurt but I've never tried this!
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options
    Firmer texture and higher protein content. What comes out is the whey I think. Now you got me thinking... I'm not actually sure if the protein content will be as high as the store bought if you do the straining method.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I mixed the Tastefully Simple Onion Onion with Fat Free Sour cream for their dip (they say to use regular) and it tastes great with minimal calories.