Shin Splints

Options
I'm starting to do some running and sometimes I get pains in my shins. Is there a specific stretch I can do before I run or something?
I just bought some new shoes, so maybe that will help.

Any ideas?

Replies

• sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    jumping jacks make my shins hurt like crazy!!!
  • girlofsun26
    girlofsun26 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You can totally youtube runners stretches and theres many many videos out there that teach you stretches for before and after.. :)
  • Lsng4good
    Lsng4good Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about a specific stretch, but about an hour before I go for a jog/run, I always eat a banana and drink water. The potassium in the banana helps prevent shin splits. :)
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I found that all my pains went away once I started using Vibrams. Your calves do have to get used to them though.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Stretching before AND after running is one good tip, also making sure you're not pushing yourself too far too fast. It's tempting to get out there and burn up the pavement when we start, but I highly recommend slowing down and doing a little at a time. Make sure you only run every OTHER day, to give your body time to get used to it. Try the C25K program.. google it, there are even podcasts you can download and run to. I did this last spring and was very happy with it! Ran two 5k's last year and currently training for a 10k!!!

Good luck, and don't give up!
  • Kaiska
    Options
    Hi there, I remember our boot camp instructor (who's a physiotherapist) recommending rest, cold packs , compression socks and good running shoes for the problem. He did also say that it would be worth mentioning to your GP next time you see him/her so they can see how bad the stress fractures are. I've just got me some new running shoes and they do seem to make a big difference too!
    Hope this helps, K
  • risarunning
    Options
    New shoes made my shin splints go away almost completely. I went to a running specialty store and after their evaluation (hopefully you did this too) I got shoes that are meant to fix my apparently-severe over-pronation. I *am* looking into trying Vibrams, though, since there are so many compelling arguments and anecdotes supporting them!
  • ninyagwa
    ninyagwa Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Also something to think about if none of the stretching & diet options change the way that your shins feel it could be a result of a foot or tendon issue that a pediatrist could help you with. I get shin splints because of my tendonitis in my feet sometimes.

Good luck!
  • mwkinney
    mwkinney Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    also, focus on landing on the balls of your feet instead of your heel first. landing on your heels will put more pressure on the shins.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I found that all my pains went away once I started using Vibrams. Your calves do have to get used to them though.

I <3 my vibrams!!!!
  • JodeH
    JodeH Posts: 6
    Options
    I've found putting ice on my shins after walking has really helped, plus new runners with a lot more support under the balls of my feet. Goodluck I can feel your pain! :)