Are you doctors still saying "Low" or "Non" Fat?

Options
Last summer I went to a REAL registered nutritionist at a 20 yr old company in St. Paul, MN. For the FIRST time in my adult life I was told to eat REAL (organic) Full FAT foods. This was like being told to run into the freeway at rush hour. So I followed their suggestions & 6 months later... THEY ARE RIGHT!!!. I feel fantastic. I cannot tell you the last time I became ill (probably 7-8 months ago). My skin & hair look great. It is amazing. Their classes (this is science from major universities) educate that full fat sends messages (hormones, etc) to the right receptors that we feel satiated. Our cells become pliable. Yes, I gained weight because I didn't measure (and my 1 Tablespoon unmeasured was probably closer to 3T). I still need to watch my calories (to get to 138 I need about 6 servings of fat per day... MEASURED). AND FULL fat does NOT increase cholestoral.... their research shows SUGAR & TRANS FATS DO!! What's your experience on this? Are you hearing this in the mainstream?

Replies

• dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Yes I also hate the low fat foods. I forgot what doc I was watching but they said that when foods have fat removed, it still needs to maintain a creamy texture, usually attained with the addition of various forms of sugar and chemicals. I always buy full fat foods and just remember to take them in moderation. Alot of times the reduced fat products have just as many calories as their "bad" full fat cousins.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I have been told the same thing by a nutritionist. Not to eat diet bread, just eat less healthy bread. They always replace that fat with something else ya know.

Today, I aim for healthy fat, those found in nuts, olive oils, etc. I do not even eat flour or bread, but I completely don't argue at all what you have been told. PS: My nutirionitst was outside of the Twin Cities just a little.
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    I think a lot of discombobulated foods end up with the wrong proportions of nutrients and fractionated stuff that just clogs up, well, everything. Whole foods are best, all the way! I'm working on losing weight now, and then once I'm used to the reduced calories, overhauling my diet toward a more organic, more whole-food oriented focus. Sadly, I'm falling far far short of my intentions right now. One thing is definitely good though, my husband is totally on-board with this concept!

You know what, just now, you have totally re-inspired me with your post. I'm going to stop it with the bad stuff and just eat the right portions of what I need. Thank you for your post. Seriously, you just got me back on track. I'm gonna go make my shopping list right now.
  • hockeymom95
    hockeymom95 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    With more fat, then more calories right? Are you having a hard time staying within limits?
  • nilisabel
    Options
    one thing though, I do take a calcium supplement because I like nonfat milk, but not enough to drink as much as i need to get my calcium requirements, and honestly, I agree with whole foods but just don't think it's good to take in 24 oz of whole milk for the daily required calcium
  • nilisabel
    Options
    about the fat calories thing, in whole foods that is true. 9 calories per gram for fat, versus 4 per gram for carbs or protein; so portion control is key. snack on veggies, right?
  • MamboGyrl
    MamboGyrl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Not when I am tracking (thank god for myfitnesspal.com) & measuring. My guess at Tablespoon is WAY over a tablespoon. And you be surprised how awesome 1 Tablespoon of mayo with balsamic vinegar is!! I eat a small fat at each meal & snack. Can you see my food diary (today may not be the best of the examples because I clicked on the item as I saw them). But I will do better so you can see. Do look at my other days.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Higher fat and protein levels in your diet tend to keep you more sated, so after some adjustment it's not difficult to stay within recommended daily caloric intake.
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Bump. Interesting topic.
  • watkinsc
    watkinsc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Makes a ton of sense.. the purer the food, the better... Hmmm... think this deserves some lookin' into! thanks!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Last summer I went to a REAL registered nutritionist at a 20 yr old company in St. Paul, MN. For the FIRST time in my adult life I was told to eat REAL (organic) Full FAT foods. This was like being told to run into the freeway at rush hour. So I followed their suggestions & 6 months later... THEY ARE RIGHT!!!. I feel fantastic. I cannot tell you the last time I became ill (probably 7-8 months ago). My skin & hair look great. It is amazing. Their classes (this is science from major universities) educate that full fat sends messages (hormones, etc) to the right receptors that we feel satiated. Our cells become pliable. Yes, I gained weight because I didn't measure (and my 1 Tablespoon unmeasured was probably closer to 3T). I still need to watch my calories (to get to 138 I need about 6 servings of fat per day... MEASURED). AND FULL fat does NOT increase cholestoral.... their research shows SUGAR & TRANS FATS DO!! What's your experience on this? Are you hearing this in the mainstream?

I am so glad to hear this!!!

My doctor is the same and the programs I work with people on promote whole foods eating also.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    one thing though, I do take a calcium supplement because I like nonfat milk, but not enough to drink as much as i need to get my calcium requirements, and honestly, I agree with whole foods but just don't think it's good to take in 24 oz of whole milk for the daily required calcium

We don't need dairy to get calcium.........

Check out this website. She has it listed for calcium rich foods that are non-dairy.

http://www.ellenskitchen.com/faqs/calcium.html
  • PNCTink
    PNCTink Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    This is the theory bhind Traditional Foods and the Weston A. Price way of eating. I have friends who do very wel on it, There's more to that though, like emphasizing local meat and dairy products (grass fed meats) and soaking legumes, nuts, and grains to make them sprout which adds nutrients we need. I have pancreas issues, so if I eat mayo or the like it could kill me. I do soak my soakables for 4-48 hours, and I must say they taste better too.
  • Fit2_T
    Fit2_T Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this!