Weight Lifting

Options
I'm enrolled in a weight lifting class at my college and I was wondering if it's better to lift a heavier weight for 1-2 sets, or if I should lift an medium weight for 2-3sets? I've been doing the medium weight for weeks and I haven't noticed much change, but last time I increased the lbs by 5-15 (depending) and I couldn't do as many reps, but I could almost immediately actually see my muscle. (Well hello there! Long time , no see!)

So is it okay to lift heavier weights on the machines and do fewer reps/sets?

Replies

• kadye
    kadye Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You can lift heavy weights and do 3 sets. A good rule of thumb is that if you can easily lift a weight 12-15 times, it's too light. I usually do 12 reps per set and I try to get my weight heavy enough so that I can barely lift that 12th rep. Often I'll move up in weight when I can get 12 and then if I get stuck on the 3rd set for example, I'll do whatever I can with the heavier weight and then drop down a little and finish the set. Please don't be afraid of heavy weight. Good luck
  • frenchfri87
    frenchfri87 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    yep you've got it right heavier weights and fewer reps to build muscle:flowerforyou:
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Well, the rep range and set depends on which muscle or muscles you're talking about.
  • gdsbt1
    gdsbt1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Two weeks ago I started using Hot Point Fitness routines in the gym. I have had this book for quite a while, but never tried it before. Most exercises are 2 sets of 20 reps done SLOWLY. Just 5 pound weights really work the muscle by the end of the set. I'm seeing results already, and I've been working out for several years. However, I was in a rut and doing the same things all the time. This new routine has really made a big difference. Good luck.
  • kbails84
    Options
    In the world of weight lifting there are many give and takes with respect to reps vs. weight. In my personal opinion there are ways to build muscle, and then there are ways to build strength - as odd as it sounds at times they’re not the same, and it is possible to have one without the other.

If you're looking to promote size while building strength I find it best to stretch for 15-20 minutes to promote blood flow and then workout with strength bands focusing on your core. Then add low reps of heavy weights on your large muscle groups.. The balance for size comes with also working the smaller muscle groups in your arms and legs because you can’t support large muscles (size) if your small muscles (strength) are weak.

If I had to choose I would say switch between your two options. Go a step further and add strength bands for a more dynamic work out that I believe will be more rewarding because you’ll feel the burn faster.
    Have a workout out plan that allows you to use small weights with an extremely high number of reps followed by "heavy day(s)" where you use heavy weight with a low amount of reps. Grouped with proper eating habits, cardio and dynamic workouts with bands will provide you with the greatest results.

I wish you the best,

Kbails84
  • Lsng4good
    Lsng4good Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! :) This is really helpful!!