Loving vs Hating the body to it's ideal size

Options
Geneen Roth says in her book Women, Food and God, "... I have never met anyone for whom years of rejection and hatred suddenly and miraculously turned to love, even after a face-life, Lap-Band surgery, liposuction. When you love something, you wish it goodness; when you hate something, you wish to annihilate it. Change happens not by hatred but by love. Change happens when you understand what you want to change so deeply that there is no reason to do anything but act in your own best interest. When you begin to inhabit your body from the inside, when you stop looking at it through... "bank camera eyes," any other option except taking care of it is unthinkable."

I love her whole book, but this paragraph more than any other part best describes my journey right now. For most of my life, I have despised my thighs, wished for thinner cheeks. Even when I was thin, my body still wasn't good enough. Now, strangely, I am more accepting of my body than I ever was when I was thinner and younger. It's been a process of letting go of the concept of "perfection" and choosing to love my body as is that has strangely made it possible and even easy this time to drop the weight.

Replies

• cupcakelover103
    cupcakelover103 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I've only heard such positive things about Geneen Roth's books. That was a beautifult passage and it is so true. I need to check it out at the library, thanks for posting :)
  • apigchangedmylife
    Options
    I had not heard of this book until now so thanks for the post. I will have to go check it out. Thanks
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options
    Geneen Roth says in her book Women, Food and God, "... I have never met anyone for whom years of rejection and hatred suddenly and miraculously turned to love, even after a face-life, Lap-Band surgery, liposuction. When you love something, you wish it goodness; when you hate something, you wish to annihilate it. Change happens not by hatred but by love. Change happens when you understand what you want to change so deeply that there is no reason to do anything but act in your own best interest. When you begin to inhabit your body from the inside, when you stop looking at it through... "bank camera eyes," any other option except taking care of it is unthinkable."

I love her whole book, but this paragraph more than any other part best describes my journey right now. For most of my life, I have despised my thighs, wished for thinner cheeks. Even when I was thin, my body still wasn't good enough. Now, strangely, I am more accepting of my body than I ever was when I was thinner and younger. It's been a process of letting go of the concept of "perfection" and choosing to love my body as is that has strangely made it possible and even easy this time to drop the weight.

Great post!! Something I needed to hear!
  • gabeye
    gabeye Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm definitely going to have to check out her books. Thank you so much for your post!

I actually really needed to read something like this today. I think even though I try to see myself in a positive light and focus on caring for myself and working hard to make changes and be healthier I still look at myself and think "not pretty (yet)". It's hard to change years of thinking all at once. So thank-you for the positive and loving message. Which is especially meaningful given tomorrow is Valentines. ;)

I don't know about anyone else but I've been thinking only about what I can do to celebrate the day with the man I love and forgetting that I maybe should also be thinking about loving who I am, even right now. :)
  • monylove311
    monylove311 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    That's awesome... check out www.operationbeautiful.com

I just watched a blip on tv about it. Love it. ; )
  • Jenn080203
    Options
    Haven't heard of her till now, will have to check her out! Thank You!! =)
  • biellas
    Options
    So true and inspiring. Thank you for sharing it!
  • sophiajackson99
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else but I've been thinking only about what I can do to celebrate the day with the man I love and forgetting that I maybe should also be thinking about loving who I am, even right now. :)

Great thought! I LOVE it! :D
  • sophiajackson99
    Options
    That's awesome... check out www.operationbeautiful.com

I just watched a blip on tv about it. Love it. ; )

What a great site! I just read a little from their mission and wow, what a concept! The idea of "fat talk" has become so prevalent that people often act as if something's wrong with you if you're not criticizing your body. thanks for sharing!!
  • monylove311
    monylove311 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely going to have to check out her books. Thank you so much for your post!

I actually really needed to read something like this today. I think even though I try to see myself in a positive light and focus on caring for myself and working hard to make changes and be healthier I still look at myself and think "not pretty (yet)". It's hard to change years of thinking all at once. So thank-you for the positive and loving message. Which is especially meaningful given tomorrow is Valentines. ;)

You are so right. This hit home for me too. I am trying to change that "inside thinking" we do all the time. Boy is it hard to do. I love this time.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    The book Women Food and God changed my life. Learning to love myself 100% as I am is what enabled me to finally let go of everything that was keeping me fat/unhealthy/miserable.

I'm so glad you are free from the same torture that is self-hatred :)

Charmagne
  • gabeye
    gabeye Posts: 14
    Options
    That website http://operationbeautiful.com/ is great!

Thank-you for the link. :D