Do you have a cut off time?

chan0404
chan0404 Posts: 33 Member
edited September 24 in Health and Weight Loss
Do you stop eating at a certain time even if you have calories left over for the day and you are still a little hungry? Just trying to figure out if I should stick with my 8 pm cut off time for eating.

Replies

• pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    No, but I stick to protein only or veggies 2-3 hour time period before I go to bed.
  • I do not think in terms of a time. My rule of thumb is 3 hours before I go to bed. Your body does not know what time it is, if you eat at 10 pm but stay up until 4 am, it is no different than if you eat at 6 pm and go to bed at midnight.
  • No, I never do a cut-off time anymore. I tried to do a 6pm for a while like many people do, then tried 7 and 8, but I find them frustrating. Plus, it makes me want to pig out 10 minutes before the "time limit." Really stupid. For me, as long as I am eating healthy food, it doesn't matter what time I stop eating during the day. I know many people who get late-night workouts and have their last shake or recovery meal at 10-11pm, and I'm talking buff, in-shape people. It's just whatever fits into your schedule. It's usually best if it's a couple hours before you go to sleep, but that doesn't seem to matter to me either. Everyone is different.
  • No...I think most people make weight loss too complicated. I think unless you are a body builder, are in training for some arduous feat of strength or endurance, or are trying to get down to some small percent of body fat, all the "little rules" don't matter. Do what makes you happy! I happen to enjoy night time eating. So I eat a little snack *right* before I go to bed. And when I wake up at 3 am? Only a really fatty snack like cheese or nuts helps me go back to sleep!

Maybe I would have lost a little faster if i hadn't. Maybe. But I seem to be doing alright.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    I'm trying to make a cut off time for major meals. Like if its after 8pm, I might have ice cream (skinny cows 100 calories lol), or a small snack usually between 50-150 calories. But I'm trying to avoid eating dinner super late, or eating like a whole bowl of cereal resulting in a 300 calorie meal right before bed. If that makes sense?

A while back, when I could afford a gym membership (lol) the trainer I spoke with actually said its good to eat a small snack before bed. Because your body is going 6-10 hours without eating while you sleep. supposedly (since I'm just going off what I was told), it helps keep you from feeling fatigued even after getting a nights rest, and you won't feel super hungry in the morning.

If you find yourself with calories left over at the end of the day a lot, try planning in more snacks so you won't hungry later, and it makes sure you not left with a bunch of calories not eaten. :)
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    When I began my weight loss journey four years ago, the nutritionist I saw at the time said it was important to eat something in the evening (9 o'clock or so). She said it kept the metabolism going, so that the body didn't start to shut down during the night. I try to have something in the evening.....yogurt, a piece of fruit, even from time to time a small candy bar. :wink:

The point she had was that eating more small meals during the day (and into the evening) keeps your metabolism working constantly.

Kaye
  • xlacijeanx
    xlacijeanx Posts: 232 Member
    I usually try and not eat the 2-3 hours before I go to sleep, since I stay up quite late and usually sleep in. If I have a growly tummy within those 2-3 hrs I'll eat a fiber 1 90 cal bar or an apple. :)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    My "cut-off" is 10pm. But it's only my time because of what time I head to bed/sleep (around midnight to 1am). If I'm at a party or out and know I'll be out super late I'll allow myself to eat a little later as well.
  • I stop eating 5 - 6pm but I don't now that it matters. I can get uncomfortable if I go to bed full.
  • Mine is 7pm usually.
  • Victorious_One
    Victorious_One Posts: 174 Member
    I'd say if you still have calories left and you're still hungry, you should eat! Select something higher in protein, or veggies.

The philosophy around not eating 3 hours before bedtime is really about calorie reduction. If you're tracking your calories, the time of day doesn't really matter: it matters what you eat, and how much.

My only caveat is to try not to eat about 30 minutes to an hour before bedtime so you don't get indigestion. Other than that, don't deprive yourself if you have leftover calories. In the long run, it will send your body into starvation mode and slow you weight loss, plus make you feel miserable.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    I'm amazed at some of the early cut-off times people have said. I don't get home from work until almost 6:30 and back home from working out until 8 or so. Most nights I'm lucky to be eating dinner by 8:30 or 8:45. I'd never get dinner if I had such early cut off times. lol

(this is not a critique, just an observation)
  • Because I broke my meals up into 5 smaller meals a day my last one is at 7pm, and I go to bed at 9pm-10pm it works out pretty well for me, I've never been a big night time snacker.
This discussion has been closed.