stupid question of the day... cooked nutritional value

Options
I_amnr
I_amnr Posts: 129 Member
Ok let's say a food says it has 300 calories per 100 grams grilled, does it mean

A. Weight out 100 grams raw, grill it and it equals the nutritional value stated
B. Grill food and weight out 100 grams of grilled food to get the nutritional value stated

I've never being able to get my head around this lol

Replies

• believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh it before cooking. I'm not sure if that's the "right" way... but if you think about how recipes work, you'd never weigh the ingredient AFTER cooking! Haha, I'm interested to see what responses you get! :smile:
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Most meats are in the database under both cooked and raw. So it doesn't matter which way you add them as long as you select the correct type from the list.
    I'd take the grilled part of your example to mean that you weigh it afterwards, but i'm not sure if that is correct.
  • cjfoster
    Options
    If it's meat: you way before you cook. If veggies you weigh after you cook. I hope this helps
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    If it says "per 100 grams grilled" that seems to me to mean you are talking about a portion of cooked food. We usually measure food before we cook it, but I would go by what the nutrition information says, because I would guess, since it says specifically grilled, the calorie content would be specific to that method of cooking. It would be higher if you fried it instead of grilling.
  • I_amnr
    Options
    @ believetoachieve
    Lol yeah what you said sounds totally logical
    But I'm talking about stuff like sausages which you don't use on recipes as such
    I'm thinking its option A if they were bothered to calculated how much nutritional value a sausage loses when cooked
    And I'm thinking its option B if they are asuming that everyone grilles the same way and the same amount of oil and water is lost from The sausage and they will weight around the same ...ie.. I could grill sausages for as twice as long and they lose a lot more water .. so end up being lighter

Ok.. I'm confusing myself even more if you don't understand anything I wrote above .. I don't blame you lol
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I measure after meat is cooked, that will be the amount I eat so for myself it only makes sense. As always on here there will be many varied opinions.
  • julieth40
    Options
    If it specifically says "grilled weight" then I'd say grill it first and then weigh it. It's the same for things like cooked and uncooked pasta, rice etc - calculate the calories using the description given - 30g of cooked pasta is very different to 30g of dried pasta.
  • I_amnr
    Options
    If it specifically says "grilled weight" then I'd say grill it first and then weigh it. It's the same for things like cooked and uncooked pasta, rice etc - calculate the calories using the description given - 30g of cooked pasta is very different to 30g of dried pasta.

Hmmm makes sense

Ok one last stupid question
    If it is labelled "grilled weight" it is the same thing as it being labelled as "grilled" ..?
  • believetoachieve
    Options
    @ believetoachieve
    Lol yeah what you said sounds totally logical
    But I'm talking about stuff like sausages which you don't use on recipes as such
    I'm thinking its option A if they were bothered to calculated how much nutritional value a sausage loses when cooked
    And I'm thinking its option B if they are asuming that everyone grilles the same way and the same amount of oil and water is lost from The sausage and they will weight around the same ...ie.. I could grill sausages for as twice as long and they lose a lot more water .. so end up being lighter

Ok.. I'm confusing myself even more if you don't understand anything I wrote above .. I don't blame you lol

Nope, I'm still with you!! I think it's more like option B - assume it's cooked and retains the same nutrients. For example, if I were to bbq a 1/4lb burger, I wouldn't bbq and then put that gorgeous cheeseburger on a food scale - it's going straight onto a bun! (and subsequently, my hips, LOL!). :laugh:

A lot of food entries have cooking methods attached to them (like chicken - there's entries for "fried", vs "baked"). I usually just add everything to my diary separately. So if I'm cooking 30g green beans in butter, I'll add JUST the beans, and then butter to my log.
  • believetoachieve
    Options
    Ok one last stupid question
    If it is labelled "grilled weight" it is the same thing as it being labelled as "grilled" ..?

Yup! :smile: And don't worry, there's no stupid questions. A guy that cooks is always an asset and you gotta learn somewhere, right? Hehe :happy: