Hello

Options
I joined a few days ago and just realized 30 minutes ago that there is a message bored. Unlike most of you I am a male...22 years old. I am in college and started dieting around May 1 of 07. I weighed 315 then. I now weigh in about 260, but I've been as low as 255. I took the entire holiday season off. I'm now back on my "diet." My goal is to be 235 by my graduation day from Miss. State. That day is May 3 so I have to lose only 1-2 lbs a week until then. I allow myself the eat pretty much whatever on the weekend (within reason I mean) but I hit it hardcore during the week. This is a regular day for me (during week): Cereal in the morning, PB & J on wheat for lunch, and maybe some soup, grilled chicken and some veggies at supper. I try to eat an apple or something during the day too. I do about 30 min of cardio everyday and maybe some light weight lifting. I'D LOVE ANY SUGGESTIONS B/C I'M STARVING...not to mention Miss. doesn't really have health food stores, but we have great sweet tea and cornbread!

Replies

• sph40
    sph40 Posts: 24
    Options
    I joined a few days ago and just realized 30 minutes ago that there is a message bored. Unlike most of you I am a male...22 years old. I am in college and started dieting around May 1 of 07. I weighed 315 then. I now weigh in about 260, but I've been as low as 255. I took the entire holiday season off. I'm now back on my "diet." My goal is to be 235 by my graduation day from Miss. State. That day is May 3 so I have to lose only 1-2 lbs a week until then. I allow myself the eat pretty much whatever on the weekend (within reason I mean) but I hit it hardcore during the week. This is a regular day for me (during week): Cereal in the morning, PB & J on wheat for lunch, and maybe some soup, grilled chicken and some veggies at supper. I try to eat an apple or something during the day too. I do about 30 min of cardio everyday and maybe some light weight lifting. I'D LOVE ANY SUGGESTIONS B/C I'M STARVING...not to mention Miss. doesn't really have health food stores, but we have great sweet tea and cornbread!
  • jcarroll26
    Options
    Hi there! I just noticed you said you are starving so I thought I would throw out a daily serving suggestion. Your body needs nutrients and vitamins in order to work. I would suggest more food, and small servings. This will give you the energy and the full feeling that you need. Here is my suggestion:
    3.5 Proteins, 4 veggies, 4 fruits,5 starches, 3 dairy, 2 fats, and 64 oz of water. I started following this meal serving suggestion on August 6th, 2007, with daily exercise of about 15 minutes, I have managed to lose 36.6 lbs. I do know however, that I am not hungry at all, and I have been able to have the energy to work out more and therefore burn more calories. Serving sizes need to be as such :
    Proteins: 4 oz. (mostly chicken, fish with occasional red meat, 2 eggs is a serving, 2 tbsp of Peanut butter is a serving.) Veggies: most all veggies are 1 cup raw, 1/2 cup cooked, except lettuce which is 3 cups for 1 serving, fruits: 3/4 cup or small fruit is a serving. Starches: 90 calories of whatever you are eating (lite bread is two slices), 10 wheat thins, and so on. Cut out white starches as much as you can, use occasionally. Dairy must be 1% or skim, 8 oz milk, etc..., and fats would be 2 tbsp of mayo, oil, lite dressings, lite sour cream etc... This seems like a lot of food, but I guarantee you will burn it. Balance out your meals. Your doing great! Keep up the good work.
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Are u following what this site gave you as a daily calorie intake?
  • sph40
    Options
    yes, and i'm usually under my intake b/c i want to lose weight. my problem is i'm in college and i go to the local deli alot or some other place and can't accurately measure my calorie intake so i ballpark it. i feel satisfied at the end of the day but during the day not so much.
  • sph40
    Options
    thank you, but could you maybe explain the whole serving thing to me? could you maybe use my meal that i posted as an example and tell me what i'm doing right and what i'm depriving myself of? i don't struggle with wanting sweets really so that's not my problem.
  • BUNNYB
    BUNNYB Posts: 91
    Options
    hey Welcome to the group!
    some suggestions as well, because your a male, and your body makeup is completely different then a womens ie; metabolism, calorie intake it is very important you stick to your numbers.
    Cutting out calories is only going to make you hold on to your fat cells, and slow down your metabolism. You need to be eating 6-8 smaller meals (including snacks) plus WATER WATER WATER to wash it all away!!!
    What kind of cereal are you eating in the morning? Try a vector cereal or some kind of packed nutrient kind. As well, make sure you switch it up.. Not only will you get bored of routine food, which will make you fall off, but its not good for your body to stick to a limited selection.
    You will benefit from a protein at breaky too... its the best thing to get you up and moving and start that brain!! I suggest oatmeal, and 2 hardboiled eggs, or cottage cheese!! you can always put fruit in your cottage cheese for extra flavour.. as odd as it sounds, the taste of the cheese and pineapple are amazing together!!!
    Umm PB and jelly sandwhiches..... not so much nutritious!!! try tuna on whole wheat or on a wrap!
    salads are great too.. watch your soups, as the most of them are packed with sodium, meaning more lbs!!!! You differ from a lot of women on this site due to you not really craving sweets!! l
    Lucky man:laugh:
    You asked about a serving size.... A good rule of thumb, 1 serving of meat is no bigger or thicker then your palm.
    Make an effort to plan out meals, making sure you dont go out last min and buy something you shouldnt have! Cut out the pop, if any, and munchies!!!
    But most of all.... remember were always here for you!!!! good luck, hope I helped a bit!
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Hey as a young guy, you still have great metabolism going for you. Try to eat really "bulky" stuff. Lots of fruits and veggies (there are a lot of grab'n'go items like fruit...bananas, apples, oranges. Also you don't have to cut out the peanut butter, but try something like "simply jif" or a natural peanut butter without so much sodium and sugar added...then maybe just have peanut butter and banana instead of jelly (less sugar, fewer caloreis). If you have to have chips, Snyders makes great baked veggie "crisps". I would eat them even if I wasn't watching what I was eating. They are fantastic...they have about 30% of the fat of regular potato chips, and there is a slight nutritional edge. I buy them at walmart, so my guess is MS. has a walmart!:smile:
    If you dont' have time in the morning to make whole grain oatmeal, make i the night before and nuke it. You have better oatmeal, more fiber and it costs about 1/10th of what the nasty little packets cost. Throw in some fruit and you have a terrific and filling breakfast. Try to have something healthy with you to snack on when you feel hungry. Eat. There's my two cents. Welcome to you...it's nice to see a few guys here (although it's also kinda fun being in with such a wonderful groups of ladies!).
    Good luck.
    Cowboy
  • sph40
    Options
    wow, ya'll are pretty amazing! thank you! however, i AM sorry that i'm breaking up the ladies thing.