Kettlebells

Options
Hi,

Has anybody used these, and if so what do you think?

Also, what weight would be recommended to start with ?

Any info appreciated ....

Wendy

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I have two 15 lb kettle balls. I wish I had more. I can't really explain why I like them, I guess maybe the balance is different than dumbells?

I couldn't suggest a starting weight for you. I would be best for you to try them out in a store. Try a few reps of your exercises with different weights, see what works. It may be best to go lite. It's tempting to get weights too heavy, with the intentions of working up to that weight. That isn't exactly a bad thing, but you want to be able to make it through a work out.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    An 8kg is a really good starter size for women. That's what my wife uses.
    Make sure to learn good form so you don't injure yourself. Some of the exercises are demanding.
    I like the Art of Strength "Providence" DVD. It's a workalong DVD that walks you through each exercise and it will smoke you!
  • RWilliams_Fit
    RWilliams_Fit Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i LOVE kettlebells, there are many diff exercises and weights , i recommend going to get a kettlebell book (i am going to as well) and maybe a 5 lb and 10lb , i am a personal trainer who never paid any attention to them until recently and i have seen some really good results with clients and myself!! good luck :)
  • digit78
    digit78 Posts: 177
    Options
    they are excellent, I read a really good article the other day on them (from a Boxing & MMA magazine). I'll try and dig it out and summarise the key points & benefits.
  • wenders123
    wenders123 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    they are excellent, I read a really good article the other day on them (from a Boxing & MMA magazine). I'll try and dig it out and summarise the key points & benefits.

Thanks - that would be great.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a set and love them, there are a lot of you tube vids with some advice
  • blessedbirdie
    Options
    YES I LOVE THEM... kettlebells are my ideal workout for me because no gym or bulky equipment to have and you can do it almost anytime and anywhere. They are pretty cheap to buy. I watch my shows at night while working out. Once you learn the moves it is easy to do. Gives you cardio and strength training at same time.
    I started out with 5 lbs and worked up to 8 - 10 now. For the arm moves I still use a lighter weight. I have several Dvd's but none my favorite. It seems most moves are the same but each trainer has a few different moves. So you can start with a lighter and work up to heavier as you train.
    I noticed my waist line is much smaller and I believe since this does work your core that is why I am slimming down more there.
    I bought the adjustable set and ended up breaking the handle off when I dropped it so I don't recommend it. Jillian Michaels makes on and Weider does too but as I said they made it too easy to break.
    Down 58 lbs now. I also run on treadmill and use balance ball.
    Happy losing.
  • wenders123
    wenders123 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody for the advice :bigsmile:
  • jojo309
    jojo309 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I noticed the other day that Argos had them in stock and it made me think hmmmmmmmmm . They seem like a great all-round bit of kit .

Jo
  • Pabittner
    Options
    I just used it for the first time this morning and I am sore. I really feel it in the back of my thighs and gluteous. I really need to work on these ares. I hope you 'll give it a try and good luck. :)
    Patty
  • Pabittner
    Options
    I just used it for the first time this morning and I am sore. I really feel it in the back of my thighs and gluteous. I really need to work on these ares. I hope you 'll give it a try and good luck. :)
    Patty