Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Lost 6 lbs this week - don't know whether to smile or frown.

I swear, I've eaten all my exercise cals and I have been trying to stay at 1500-1600 cals per day, even though MFP recommends 1350, and yesterday I even had a cheat day and had cheesecake and a few drinks. Should I up my cals even more?

Replies

• Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    It depends if you are at the beginning of your journey the weight comes off very quickly. I think I lost 4 lbs my first week but I've averaged about .8 lbs over the 9 months I've been doing this. I've had weeks with no loss, weeks with gains and weeks with a loss. If you've been doing it a while you might want to up them a little.
  • Its probably water weight- I wouldn't worry to much. So smile.
  • gebnpb
    gebnpb Posts: 166
    If your at the start of ur life change and have more to loose it will come off a little faster in the begining. But it could also be water weight to. But Wtg on the loss!!
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    If you find 1500-1600 works for you, then stay with it. More calories are always healthy than less calories, as long as you're still losing and at a deficit. So try it, and if it plateaus, maybe try reducing.
  • I wouldnt 1500 is a sensible amout, Just make sure you eat back any calories earned from exercise. If you have only been doing this a week or two the initial loss is always more then it will slow down ....keep it up, unless you feel unwell on the calorie allowance you are on im sure its healthy enough x
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,459 Member
    If you are starting off, that is to be expected. Congrats on the early success!
  • twogoots
    twogoots Posts: 96 Member
    I totally agree, the first week or two can be an easy or quick weight loss then it might slow down once your metabolism slows down. I'd eat your exercise cals through this week and maybe next and then if you seem to plateau, don't eat those extra and see how it does. I have had to play around with my calories (1500 per doctor) and the exercise I added in so I don't eat much of my exercise cals now and it seems I am dropping more lbs again.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Thanks everyone! And, yes, to answer that question, this is my first week, so I guess I will "smile" and keep it to 1500 cals. :O)
  • 2hdesign
    2hdesign Posts: 153
    Looking at the weight #s in your siggie, I would say 1500-1600 is GREAT! And when you have that much to lose (i'm in a similar situation), it's okay to have a lot of weight to fall off the first few weeks. I lost 4 and then 5 pounds in my first few weeks and 13 total in the first month. As long as after a few weeks or a month, it starts leveling out, you're okay.

Oh and when in doubt, please turn to your doctor (and dietitian if you have one).