Eat before or after??

Options
A few weeks ago Dr. Oz said that you should work out in the morning before eating. His philosophy was that if you work out before eating you're burning stored fat & calories, if you work out after you're burning the fat & calories that you just ate first and then the stored fat & calories. I'm not sure I could work out on an empty stomach. Can anybody help me on this???

Replies

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    if im exercising in the morning,I usally dont eat.Mostly it just depends on how hungry I am
  • GufoBianca
    Options
    Im not so sure about that theory...I have heard both yes and no to it. Curious to hear what people have to say as well.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    seems like its all the same to me----you MUST eat some carbs before you workout to get some energy but have a bit of protien with it as well.
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    I started P90X( first thing morning) and found that I had to add to add some protein or I felt to tried and dizzy added a 3/4 scoop protein power and 1 scoop of my vitamin power (also high protein) and i feel much better able to bring it That said when I use to run in the morning( between 3 and 4 miles) i never felt like i needed to eat anything so it may be what kind of work out you are doing Play with it. Good LUck
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I think its different for different people. I eat before and after. If you can't go on an empty stomach, then don't. We don't have to make our work outs miserable.

Plus, I don't put much faith into Dr. Oz. I've seen a lot of contradictory advice on his show; eat fish, its the healthiest meat.... don't eat fish, its contaminated with mercury. Etc etc.
  • WeightLossTrek
    Options
    A few weeks ago Dr. Oz said that you should work out in the morning before eating. His philosophy was that if you work out before eating you're burning stored fat & calories, if you work out after you're burning the fat & calories that you just ate first and then the stored fat & calories. I'm not sure I could work out on an empty stomach. Can anybody help me on this???

From what I have read, if your goal is fat loss than you need to do your cardio when your body is in a fasted state. The 2x that the body is this state are 1. When you wake up in the morning and haven't eaten anything for a while and 2. Right after an intense weight lifting workout where you have used up the energy in your system.

Option 2 tends to impede your strength building goals.

I have been doing option 1 and it has worked amazingly well for me.

Check out my blog to see exactly the different things I have tried and what I have learned along the way.

www.WeightLossTrek.blogspot.com
  • laura4410
    laura4410 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I used to think this was true, but have lately heard the opposite advice. I can't remember where I read it, maybe Jillian Michaels website, but I read that this theory is not thought to be true anymore. That studies show you dont work out as hard if you do it on an empty stomach and that its better to eat before and after. I read where JM eats breakfast about 9, and then hits the gym 10-12 and then eats something high in protein in that "golden hour" 45-60 min after working out, where your body absorbs nutrients the best. Sometimes Im still just not hungry at that time, so I will drink a shakeology shake instead. But, that is pretty much the regimen I follow. Try and see what works for you. When I work out on an empty stomach I definitely feel sluggish and even get dizzy, which is not productive.
  • laura4410
    laura4410 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I think its different for different people. I eat before and after. If you can't go on an empty stomach, then don't. We don't have to make our work outs miserable.

Plus, I don't put much faith into Dr. Oz. I've seen a lot of contradictory advice on his show; eat fish, its the healthiest meat.... don't eat fish, its contaminated with mercury. Etc etc.

Plus he wears scrubs!! Cracks me up everytime!! lol