Help!! When will I notice a difference? should it take this

Options
Hello all I am a newish member and I am consuming my 1200 calories and sometimes a little over and the days I go to the gym I am under.
Anyway I am working hard and doing a good work out at the gym 3 times a week and I have only lost 1 pound ??? I am weighing my self after my gym workout on a evening around 6.30pm is this the right time?

Also can someone please tell me what happens if I dont eat the calories that I have burnt at the gym that day? for instance I burnt around 500 calories the other day at my workout so I was under on my daily intake but I wasent hungry to eat anything...should I lose weight or gain due to this?

Replies

• EmilyJ1979
    EmilyJ1979 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I always weigh myself first thing in the morning. If you're doing strength training the weight may take longer to come off but you may be losing inches instead. I don't eat any exercise calories unless I feel hungry and have averaged 2lb a week weight loss.
  • ktndj82104
    Options
    I was told to measure before a workout never after, but the best time is first thing in the morning.
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    How long have you been dieting OP?
  • iamdesiderata
    iamdesiderata Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    you should eat most of your exercise calories! Don't let your body go into starvation mode, that will be counteractive.

I usually like to weigh myself in the morning before i've eaten and after i've used the bathroom...You usually bloat a little after exercising and may retain water.
  • AnnThereseRN
    AnnThereseRN Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring yourself? Even if you are counting calories, you will notice a change in your body shape/tone before you notice the number on the scale going down. Don't get discouraged!!

Also, are you doing enough cardio? Look up your goal heart rate for your age and height. You should be at or above it for at least 20-30 minutes of sustained cardio for fat burn.
  • xsammiebx
    Options
    I have been dieting and working out for about a month now?

Im havent measured my self yet no,,,Right I am going to do that tonigt and I think weighing my self at night is prob the worst time.

yeah I think I am doing enough cardio, I ran a 8 mile run the other day which took me a hour and on the nights I am not running I go on the cross trainer etc for 30 mins.

I just got to try not to get all disheartened and keep it up I suppose :)
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Whilst a pound isnt a lot for a months work, I think you have to look at how you feel? How do your clothes feel, do you feel fitter and healthier? If you're looking good on those points then surely all is going fine for you?
  • geminisam
    Options
    I have been told the best time to weight yourself is first thig in the morning before you eat and drink anything.
  • xsammiebx
    Options
    Uhh yeah I must say I do feel more active and sometimes think I notice a little difference...maybe I just need to give it time and weigh my self tommorow morning before eating etc fingers crossed I am a little less than I think hey :)
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    you should eat most of your exercise calories! Don't let your body go into starvation mode, that will be counteractive.

This.

and this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

Most of the time, when I hear this, it comes down to not giving your body enough fuel. It's holding on to last fat reserves.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    all good advice, but one thing to take into account lady. The amount you can lose weekly is directly related to the amount you CAN lose, I.E. how much weight you can lose to get to a reasonable goal. If 20 lbs is all you can reasonably expect to lose (we have no way of knowing if this is a good goal, or if you should be attempting weight loss at all as we know very little about you except that you've been trying for a month) then 1 lb in a month, while a little slow, is not outrageous. I'd probably expect 2 lbs a month but that's just me (I.E. 1/2 lb a week). Put it this way, if there's not a lot of fat to lose, then you're not going to be able to lose a lot of fat. Catch my drift?