Dreaded Doctor's Scale

Options
This a/m I had my first followup visit after starting to see this dr. that my co-worker recommended. Several from work have been seeing him specifically for weightloss assistance. Before leaving the house, I weighed in on my bathroom scale (without clothing) got the number and headed out wearing the lightest clothing possible (even though it was freezing). So I get there, remove shoes, watch and jacket climb on the scale and the scale reads 4 lbs heavier than what mine read 45 min earlier (Yes I know dr's scales are generally heavier in the number dept than home ones) So that was my first wammy. Then we he came into see me, my digits from the first visit to today's (jan 14th to present) had only dropped 6 lbs.

Yes I should be happy with 6 lbs in 4 weeks, considering on my own, the scale wouldn't budge. But, using his prescribed medication, counting every calorie to stay at 1200 a day and all the working out I have been doing, especially when I didn't really want to go, but did anyways, all of the soup salad fruit water grilled chicken and veggies that I consumed when I really wanted wings or a burger : 6lbs just didn't seem to correspond with the hard work that I literally did put forth.

Guess I am just a little disappointed, since I log everything down to a crumb and track the loss and exercise whereas here I have lost 11 but with him only 6.

I really don't want to invest the money (but I guess in the long run its worth it) to get a calorie counting armband. So that I have everything down to a science.

Does anyone use one?

Oh well, just wanted to vent. Tomorrow I will think "Yes I lost 6 lbs" and get back to the gym rather than today's "ONLY 6 LBS" might as well eat something mentality.

Just wanted to vent.:ohwell:

Replies

• grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Hey, we've all been there. Things don't always go according to plan, but good job for having the foresight to get into a good frame of mind.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I don't have a heart rate monitor, but I want to suggest that maybe you aren't eating enough. I can't lose when I'm at 1200 calories, even with eating exercise calories. I need a couple hundred more than that.
  • catniss
    catniss Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    are you eating enough? you mention 1200 cal per day AND working out a lot so are you eating back your workout calories? again and again, I've seen that mentioned on this site how important it is to eat enough food before you'll lose weight--I know, it's completely counterintuitive and bizarre but it works--well, I haven't been doing it that long, but so many other members swear by that "rule".
    regardless, don't let yourself get discouraged--keep venting--if nothing else, it's much harder to eat when you're typing, right?
    good luck to you!!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I think getting it "down to a science" might be the exact opposite of what you need.

First I SUPER applaud your commitment and the amount of effort and time you have put in the last four weeks. I can't even imagine working that hard!

On the other side of that, I think maybe you might be pushing a bit too hard, so the last thing you need is to push harder or get more intense.

Ignore the Dr.'s scale for now. Go with yours and just keep doing what you are doing- though if you are eating to 1200 calories I would personally bumping up to 1300 calories to ensure your body gets enough nutrition.

Just take a deep breath. Slow down. This is a marathon, not a sprint. You will get there, take your time and make sure you don't burn yourself out by stressing over every single thing.

Also- 6lbs in 4 weeks may not seem like much- it REALLY adds up. Here's my weightloss over the last 5-6 months:

Sept: 5.5
    Oct: 6.5
    Nov: 6.2
    Dec: 4.4
    Jan:5.2
    Feb:1.6

For a grand total of: 29.4
    YOU WILL GET THERE!!!!! Don't rush. :drinker:
  • tamarjag
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement. That's what I like about this site.

I didn't always eat back the cals that I worked off, so I thnk I might try that this next month. I also think I'll try more cardio (keeping up the strength training but not over doing it) We'll see, what's going to work for me.

This last weekend I took it off from stressing over cals and the scale. I didn't over do eating. still ate the right foods and portions, Just didn't log it.... only as a way to reset my way of thinking. So now it's monday and I am back and better than ever.

I don't have to worry about it being valentine's day and getting chocolate so that is a plus for the single in me :)