Question for all you Tall Ladies...

Options
Hello fellow amazons :smile: ... I have a question regarding your net daily calories and how much you allow yourself to eat everyday. I followed MFP's recommendation of 1200 a day (the 2 lb a week weight loss goal) and ate back my exercise calories for about a month, but I was inconsistent. I'd eat my 1200 (plus exercise) about 4-5 days out of the week and then the other days I'd go over anywhere from 400-800 calories.

This had lead me to believe that for a women who is 6'0" like me that the 1200 is just unreasonable. Adding onto the fact that I've been reading the posts about how eating 1200 is ridiculous for people in the home stretch of weight loss, I realized that 1200 was too low. So I've been experimenting with 1500, 1700 and so on. MFP calculates me at 1540 a day for a 1 lb a week weight loss - but I frankly am just not sure what to set myself at.

So basically, I am just curious as to what other tall ladies eat per day (not that this only applies to tall women, but again, I am just curious). I was 50 lbs over weight but am now down to the weight of 182, with a goal weight of 175.

Thanks so much! I appreciate all your comments! :smile:

Replies

• mizzymiz
    mizzymiz Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow amazons :smile: ... I have a question regarding your net daily calories and how much you allow yourself to eat everyday. I followed MFP's recommendation of 1200 a day (the 2 lb a week weight loss goal) and ate back my exercise calories for about a month, but I was inconsistent. I'd eat my 1200 (plus exercise) about 4-5 days out of the week and then the other days I'd go over anywhere from 400-800 calories.

This had lead me to believe that for a women who is 6'0" like me that the 1200 is just unreasonable. Adding onto the fact that I've been reading the posts about how eating 1200 is ridiculous for people in the home stretch of weight loss, I realized that 1200 was too low. So I've been experimenting with 1500, 1700 and so on. MFP calculates me at 1540 a day for a 1 lb a week weight loss - but I frankly am just not sure what to set myself at.

So basically, I am just curious as to what other tall ladies eat per day (not that this only applies to tall women, but again, I am just curious). I was 50 lbs over weight but am now down to the weight of 182, with a goal weight of 175.

• areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Options
    I noticed the same thing. I'm 5'10" and 1200 calories will not do it for me. I want to get down to 155, but I think that is an unrealistic goal for how active I am. I'm a triathlete and marathon runner and I would die if I ate that much.
    For your height, and not know your body type, I would suggest at least 1600-2000 calories a day. If you are wanting to drop, watch the crab intake and increase your fiber and protein. Just make sure you don't overdue the protein and start gaining weight.
  • areay
    Options
    I noticed the same thing. I'm 5'10" and 1200 calories will not do it for me. I want to get down to 155, but I think that is an unrealistic goal for how active I am. I'm a triathlete and marathon runner and I would die if I ate that much.
    For your height, and not know your body type, I would suggest at least 1600-2000 calories a day. If you are wanting to drop, watch the crab intake and increase your fiber and protein. Just make sure you don't overdue the protein and start gaining weight.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am only 5'10" but I will tell you that the 1200 calories is the lowest any person should go. If you google "how many calories do I need" you will find many sites to calculate how many calories you need to loose or maintain your weight.

I did this for you, and based off of your age, height and current weight your calories for maintenance would be about 2500 cals, to loose about a lb a week you should be at about 2000 calories a day and for up to 2 lbs a week you should eat no less than 1503 calories. This is based off of 5 workouts a week too.

IF you have increased to 1500-1700 calories a day you should be good now. :wink:
  • Jules4506
    Options
    I'm 5'11" and I just started this week. Right now I'm going along with what the MFP program is telling me, which is like 1,570 or something like that. I'm just waiting to see if there is anything to show for it!
  • curlhair
    Options
    i'm 5'11" and i'm looking to be about 175 (right inside the "healthy" BMI range) - i started with MFP a week and a half ago and have already lost 4 pounds doing this. 1200 a day is NOT healthy and at the very least you should be eating 1500, and if you're working out, you should be eating more.

hope this helps!
  • mizzymiz
    mizzymiz Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I did have a sneaking suspicion that 1200 was too low (I don't think I ever have eaten that little before, even on WW) but I was just going with it since I am getting anxious to lose the rest of this weight so I can get on my honey moon! But heck, I'd much rather actually KEEP the weight off, so eating more and loosing slowly is probably a much better and healthier bet.

I did some google research after you mentioned it and you are absolutely right. I think I'll try 1700 a day and go from there.

Thanks tall ladies!

Now, if only we can figure out where to get pants that are long enough.... : )
  • jdyahne
    jdyahne Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10" and work out every day. I eat about 1500 to 1600 calories a day. I always watch my carbs and fat. I eat a lot of fiber and lean protein. I lost 4 pounds last week and only have 2 to go to get to my goal of 140. I find that as long as I eat wat MFP tells me which is I think 1560 and no lower I will lose. 1200 calories is not enough. If you go that low, you could put your body in starvation mode and you won't lose. You have to eat enough to lose. Good luck. I know it is hard to find the right balance.
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and I eat any where from 1200 -1300 plus my exercise.
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    1200 is the base lowest... you need to account for your daily activity and exercise burn. I mean, when it's telling you 1200 it's telling you that that is how much you'd need to consume if you laid dormant all day (not moving) and still wanted to lose weight. When you add in daily activity and exercise you NEED to eat more.

To figure out how many calories you should eat in a day enter your calorie burn for workouts FIRST and then see how many it recommends. Be sure to include the calorie burn for weight lifting (which will have to be entered under "cardio" to be counted towards your daily calorie allotment). Chances are you'll be more in the 1700-2000 range.

If you eat too few calories you'll slow your metabolism... 'tis not good.
  • dncr8707
    Options
    i'm 6 feet (thats tall!) and i eat 1200-1500 usually. i'm in isagenix right now though so 1000-1200 cal roughly
  • areay
    Options
    I brought up this discussion again as a reminder for tall women. Remember that we can't eat as little as the 5'2 women out there. It's o.k. to eat more than you vertically challenged friends:laugh: Good luck in your weight loss goals
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and I have a lot to lose. MFP set me up at 1700 calories and i set it to losing 2lbs per week.

I don't usually eat the 1700, I find that I am quite satisfied with 1400 - 1500. If we are going out anywhere I always do more exercise so I have lots of room in my calories.
  • jazzycarolanne
    Options
    I am 6'1" and my metabolism doctor, after hooking me up to a machine to measure what my resting metabolic rate was said that 1400 calories a day would result in a 2 pound per week loss. He was just about right on.....over 25 weeks I lost just that, 2 pounds per week. I did stay the course and did not move up or down much with my calories. Funny enough after those 25 weeks.....my resting metabolic rate went up by over 200 calories. He said that it was because of the requent small meals. Isn't is a kick that by eating more you lose weight faster??
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10 and currently have mine set to 1200 and I'm burnig around 300 or so for each workout. I gained two lbs this week but I did overindulge in alcohol several days. Perhaps this is something for me to consider
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I'm only 5'7" so not as tall as some of you, but I know for me I could never go as low as 1,200 cals!! You are definitely burning more cals than someone that is 5'0"! Eat up! :bigsmile:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I'm short.
    5'4''.
    I just felt like stopping by to ask all you tall ladies how's the weather up there?
    :wink:

MUCH :heart: TALL ONES!!

PS- Can you reach that glass in the cabinet for me? It's too high.... :laugh:
  • ldsupergirl
    Options
    I am 5'10" trying to get from 160lb to 145lb. I have been eating 1200 + 300 exercise cals per day. I have only been loosing on average 1lb per week and I should be loosing more. I am going to try upping my cals for the week and see what happens. Thanks for posting this thread!
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    Im a little over 5'9 and I started this at 174 lbs. I am doing the 1200 cals a day plus 150 cals every day from my walking...and then any extra on top of that varies..usually 1 to 2 days a week I work out so i increase my intake evne more than that. I lost 16 lbs in just over 6 weeks. I am now 158 and pretty content with my weight. I definitely indulge at least 1 a week and eat way over my calories,were talking seriously over indulge, not eat an extra piece of bread and go over by 300..hahahaha... This week it will be twice or possibly 3 times depending on valentines day plans so there will be more working out in my future this week!! booo..hahaha I am actually doing ok on that. I feel full all day because i eat all day long vs my old habit of eating breakfast, skipping lunch and coming home starving at dinner time and eating a meal before my dinner...... For you active ladies though, I cant imagine eating what I eat AND being so active...omg you would definitely have to eat more or you would starve!!!!
  • blueyed_blond
    blueyed_blond Posts: 156 Member
    Options

I just wanted to re-ask the OP's question about how many calories my fellow tall ladies are eating.....

I'm 5'11 and MFP has me set at about 1400 calories to lose a pound a week....I think it might be too low for me.....I'm thinking of moving it up to 1500 and seeing how that goes...then moving it up higher if I have success...

Soo....how many calories are you guys eating?

Also....what's your goal weight? I have mine set for 140 lb...but I think that might be a bit too low...I don't know if that is realistic...

:flowerforyou:

31345.png

Summer 2009 WILL Be Different!

[/url]