sugar in protein shake

Options
I'm using the good mood diet recipe for my protein but it has 18 sugars in it! Split between the almond milk and half banana...definitely need to get unsweetened almond milk which should help a little. Recipe calls for skim milk but I don't eat dairy. I'm having a hard time staying under my sugar anyway. Any suggestions?

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    why not just eat lean protein and skip the shake???
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    What kind of sugar is in your almond milk and protein? My protein shake uses fruit juices for sweetener, I'm not sure what's in my soy milk. But, you don't need to worry about natural sugars from fruit. I'm always over my sugar limit but it's almost all from fruit. Natural sugars like that take more energy to break down, they're not the same as refined sugar. Just make sure you keep your refined sugars under your limit and you'll be fine. I've been losing a little more each week (1.5-2 pounds instead of 1-1.5) since I started having a smoothie for breakfast each morning and I'm at almost twice the sugar the MFP recommends.
  • RVLMonavie
    Options
    Sugar is not the enemy, is mostly carbs that become sugar and get stored in your body that becomes a problem. I preffer water for my shake maybe you can do 1/2 milk 1/2 water. Shakes are easy and have full serving of all nutrients and Vitamins the body needs for a meal. I combine the shake with a glass of water before the shake and a cup of hot/cold tea after this way I have my water intake plus I feel full and know I have eaten. My stomage tell my brain I am full and my metabolism doesn't know the diference and works on full force. I hope this helps you a bit. God Bless