Emotional Eater

Options
This week has been really hard for me and I realized how bad it was this morning on the scale. The past couple of months have been up and down but this week I have been eating away my emotions. I thought about joining the gym. I thought maybe if I go there instead of the drive thru when I am having a rough day then maybe I can learn to exercise when stressed rather than eat.

My fear is that I will waste my money and never go. Then I have this other thought that by not joining I am telling myself that I wont do it and I should just give up. I don't know what to do. I have belonged to gyms before and I quit going after a couple of months. I am a busy person and work really early (7am). I also am a single mom so getting my son up any earlier in the morning than I already do seems wrong. So I would have to go after work most days except for when he is with his dad. I have also heard that working out at night is bad. Any suggestions or advice?

Replies

• atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your lifestyle. Sounds like your are pretty tight with your schedule. My suggestion is start workout from home and try to keep it up and get some result. Then may be you can come up with a better schedule that will work out for you.
  • TheNewDanielle
    Options
    If you will get determined, you can totally do the gym instead of the drive thru. It's a productive time instead of eating the wrong things :). And since you're doing some work now, adding the gym can only help you :). I'm also an emotional eater. however, I decided to build a home gym with a stationary bike and treadmill (all cheap haha) and then workout videos. As a single mother, you may use a home system much more easily than a gym, and there are plenty of workout videos that can keep you motivated :).

On the night thing, I workout every night for at least 30 minutes, usually more unless I have homework for my online class. I haven't had any problems. I know that if you don't have enough water or potassium, it'll cause you to be sore in the mornings. I combatted that problem by switching from soda and coffee to water and tea all day. Over 30 days without those caffeine products :). Just a suggestion to help with that. Hope it helps :) Good luck!
  • Dthgod
    Options
    I was an emotional eater so i know what its like to eat away your pain. It sounds to me that a gym isnt the way for you to go. I suggest you get a very simple workout video. maybe even say a beginner tae bo video. Anything like that. Not only is it good for relieving a bad day, but you can also include your son in it. My wife includes all three of our children including our 3 year old little boy. Turing your stress into an outward focus like that may help you not eat when you get stressed.

Also. Keep a piece of fruit in the car. If you feel the need to run to a drive through grab that apple and eat away. Fruit is better than french fries and shakes any day. And remember you have a whole community to support you.

GL to you and i wish you all the weight loss you desire :)
  • Trecois
    Options
    You have to do it, for you! I know the guilt that comes with feeling like you should be with your child. However, if you are not happy, tthen the time with your child won't be as appreciated. When you take time for yourself you can be a light for others (including your child). Look at it like it is only an hour of your day, tops. Go in, don't socialize, and get out. I promise you will feel so much better by committing yourself to daily exercise. ~Fitin76
  • AbbyCar
    AbbyCar Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Unless you're working out right before bed and it's affecting your sleep, then I would say working out in the evening is fine.
    If you can just make yourself go to the gym for a little while, it will become habit. Maybe start with small goals, like I'm going to work out for twenty minutes. Then if you feel like it or have time for more go ahead. I am very much an all or nothing kinda person. For instance, I had myself convinced that if I couldn't get to the gym and work out for 45 minutes, then it wasn't worth it. Once I set smaller goals, I conquered that a bit.
  • amberleemoore
    amberleemoore Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I am not so much an emotional eater but I tend to eat when I am bored. I know how you feel with not having time to work out! (I am a mother of four kids under the age of three!) I workout three to four times a week and basically just have to find time to fit it in. I do yoga in the mornings (and yes it is hard with kids screaming and running around) but I have found that the kids have started to become interested in what I am doing and they try to do it with me! So it is a great way to get in your workout and still enjoy time with your kids. That may help you. I also do many of my workouts in the evening (after kids' bedtime) plus it is a nice way to keep busy in the evenings when I usually would just grab a snack and veg out on the couch!
  • jmcniel
    Options
    Work out when you can, since you do have a full plate. I travel two hours round trip to work everyday, and I know there are days that I just do not want to work out when I get home, but I still push through it. Once you get your son to sleep work out, or if he is older let him watch tv while you work out.

When it comes to the gym and you quitting, you will have to want to do it. You quit because you didn't want to get into better shape. I have been the same way for the last 9 years. I would do good for a month or two and then stop; I didn't want it enough. That has all changed, and you will have your bad days, but do not beat yourself up about it. Acknowledge that you had a bad day and start back the next.

Not sure about the working out at night being bad, I would thinking burning calories at anytime would be beneficial. I have a friend that works out at LA Fitness and he is there pretty much anytime they are opened night or day.
  • rhodes2b
    rhodes2b Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I work long hours too. I start work at 7 and can be there 12+ hours. It sucks.

But I make sure i have 1 hour each day for me otherwise I won't be able to do what I need to do.

Try to incorporate your kids into the gym. I know mine has a "day care" where the kids can go and play while I workout. It may cost $5-10 each month, but this will give your kids their own additional activity to look forward to.
  • Bisbeegal
    Bisbeegal Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I only work out at night, by choice. It actually relaxes me, and helps me sleep better. In terms of expense, the drive through costs money too, and it only keeps you further from your goal. So, the gym wins over the drive through. However, if you can't arrange it or afford it, why not get one of the DVD programs that so many other members use? That way, when your son is asleep, you can take some time to yourself and work out at home.
  • BD_Strummer
    Options
    I had the same reservations about joining a Gym. Once you sign up, you're paying whether you're going or not. Very frustrating.

I bought an elliptical trainer at a local shop, scratch and dent. It was $250 and it's responsible for a lot of my weight loss.

I thought as you are now. If I could just switch my habits from chomping down feelings to channeling that energy into something productive, what would happen? Well, I'll tell you, it's worked for me so far. I've lost weight and I've also lost the side effects of stress. My friends, family and co-workers have noticed a difference in my day-to-day mood...and are thankful.

I hope you can find an outlet for that stress energy.
  • rachieladines
    Options
    working out at night doesn't work for some people because it makes them restless before bed, but that is the only time I can, You can start out slow like take your son and go for a walk together, or run the stairs at work on your breaks. I am an emotional eater too, and this past month had been a real emotional roller coaster but instead of eating I go to the gym and i always feel incredible afterwards because exercising creates endorphins which make u happier. Its not easy and night time workouts do not always work for everyone but I never have trouble sleeping after working at night. You just have to make it a top priority and tell urself u r worth it! Hope that helps everyone has their own routine that works for them good luck!
  • jaicseet
    jaicseet Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I say go for it. Find a gym that suits your needs. I belonged to one for years and went maybe 10 times, but have now found a very family friendly local gym that is much better suited for me. The kids love going there, and when I am having a tough time finding the motivation to go they often say "hey....can we go to the gym, we love it there". I love that they are growing up thinking that it is a normal routine to go to the gym. As far as working out at night....that's when I go, I figure going then is better than not going at all, its calories out vs calories staying in. Good luck!
  • SWgal
    SWgal Posts: 62
    Options
    I can totally relate.

The scale has been up and down 10lbs for well over 6 months now.

I can do really well with my food then have a rough day and spend the evening chowing instead of exercising...

This past month I have tried to commit to working out in some form (the gym or working out outside, running, jogging, walking) at least four nights a week. It has been a struggle some days and easier some, here are some things that I have found helpful:

1. write it into my schedule (either electronically or in a paper calendar)
    2. Skip the bus or train and walk...I have the opportunity at least 3 times per week to do this and a 20 min walk to and from work and school makes a difference!
    3. I nanny two days a week and try and take the little boy for a long walk in the stroller. He really enjoys this (most days) and the fresh air is good for both of us. I don't know how old your son is but maybe you could find a way to incorporate him into the routine!
    4. Some cable providers also have "on-demand" fitness videos. That could maybe help get you started if you are finding it hard to go someplace else for some exercise!

Good Luck! It;s hard, but I heard a trainer say once: "We all have the ability, we just need to remind ourselves we posses it"
  • JPayne53
    JPayne53 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a trainer and nutritionist at a local gym in my town.. and I'll give you some advice if your interested. Working out at night is not necessarily "bad" for you... the key is consistency... if you can go at least 5 times a week to a gym (whether you attend in the morning or in the evening) for 30 min... you've got a start! Everyday is a new day.. just tell yourself, all you need is 30 min. Within that 30 min time period make sure you focus on whatever it is you want to achieve for that day.. will it be Cardio today? will it be an all body circuit routine? will it be a focused weight training session? Make sure to have a plan before you walk in. Set a schedule of days that will be easiest for you to attend and base it week to week... Set weekly and daily goals rather than anything long term, this is where a lot of people "give up" and decided they "can't do it".... YOU CAN!! Treat your body like a well managed Corvette... if you don't have the right fuel (food), things are sluggish or may not even work, rotate your tires (make sure you have proper workout attire - comfort is key), change your oil (all I'm gonna say is FIBER FIBER FIBER!).. and from time to time get a tune-up... (weigh yourself, get encouragement if needed) and you will be running like the stunning person you are!! I know you are a single mom also.. if your gym doesn't provide child care.. get back to me.. I've got some awesome at home routines you can do with your child, they will love playing with mommy and you get to spend some great quality time! I always check my site, so if you need just a pointer here or there let me know! Jessie
  • 30tips
    30tips Posts: 132
    Options
    I have a blog with daily fitness tips, where I include some tips about emotional eating. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/30tips You should definitely do exercise!! you'll feel much better. One of the things you can do is try to walk whenever you get the chance to, go up the stairs instead of the elevator, walk a a few blocks instead of going in the car, etc. That way you'll get your blood flowing and you'll start to WANT to do exercise, too, especially if you put your mind to it. Definitely your schedule is tough, so I can see why it gets hard. I work out at night half of the time, when I can't go in the morning. Working out is better than NOT working out, believe me. Can you try doing an exercise video? Though I must say that going to the gym instead of the drive through sounds like a good idea. Would you take lunch from home then?
    I recommend making sure you do at least half an hour of cardiorespiratory exercises per day... that's what the doctor told me.... so I would advise the same. I would also add, a bit of muscle toning or weight lifting is great too, to make sure you don't lose only muscle and no fat. But the cardio is the MUST.
    Bottom line is.... start TODAY! with something, anything... You'll feel good already and proud of yourself.