Taking baby steps

Options
When I started using MFP in January, I set the goal to get down to 250, a loss of 70 pounds. When I think about losing 70 pounds, that seems pretty scary. I know that it is going to be a long road, so I try to look at as losing 10 pounds seven times. The thought of losing 10 pounds sounds much easier than losing 70 pounds. As of this morning, I achieved the first 10 pound mark, now on to another. One down, six to go.

What are some other ways that people deal with the mental aspect of trying to lose large amounts of weight?

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!!

I love your thinking---its what helped me--I always take one mini goal at a time. You'll get there.
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Celebrate all of your little victories. I noted that my wedding ring fits again. I am putting on clothing that I haven't worn in months and I can work out longer and harder than before.

When I lost 15 pounds I treated myself to a manicure. Treat yourself but try to not make it food-based. That will get you backsliding in a hurry, I know.
  • shakemybooty
    shakemybooty Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on reaching your first goal!!
  • ksadler2010
    Options
    I do it the same way! I was at 190 when I started, but I just go through ten pounds at a time. When I look at the scale I just think ok Im in my 2nd ten....and I love watching the numbers go down each week on the "if everyday were like today you'd weigh ______ in five weeks." Congrats on your first ten...now hit that second ten!
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    All those smaller goals add up to one big goal. I find that setting the smaller ones make the whole process a lot easier.
  • SWgal
    SWgal Posts: 62
    Options
    I write down "rewards"

I have done it in 5lb increments but you can do what works best for you.

Here is an example:

5lbs: New nail polish
    10lbs: Manicure
    15lbs: New shirt
    20lbs: New Jeans.

Celebrate and reward yourself and good luck!