Upsetting

Options
I've been on MFP for an entire week now. I went to weigh myself, expecting to have lost a pound or two, but... NOTHING!

I eat very healthy and I work out every day -- be it at the gym or doing P90x (and I'm still sore from it!). I burn over 800 calories a day. What am I doing wrong? It was horrifying to see that there was no change. I even made sure to weigh myself when I woke up and before I ate anything, and still no difference. I need help! :(

Replies

• dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Keep doing exactly what you are doing and weight yourself in 2 weeks....sometimes it takes a minute for your body to kick in...instead of focusing on the weight, focus on how much better you feel or how much better your clothes fit!
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    It takes time. Losing slowly is the healthy, maintainable way to do it. It will happen. Make sure you stay around your caloric goal. Not to far over OR UNDER.
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    take your measurments every two weeks.
    even when the scale is not moving the body has usually condensed.
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for 4 weeks and the scale is not moving. I know that here's a difference in my body tough because my clothes fit better. Keep going, don't give up. I know it's frusterating but I also know that one of these days, the scale will go down.
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it takes a couple of weeks to show anything--I've seen people lose nothing for the first week, then lose a bunch of weight the second week--it just takes time for your body to adjust to the new activity level and calorie intake, and some people take more time than others. Don't give up!

Also, if you're burning around 800 cals per day, you should be eating at least some of them back, or you'll be shorting your body on important stuff like carbs and protein that it needs to build muscle after your workouts.
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You are probably gaining muscle at the same time as losing fat. Like previous posts say, take your measurements. I'm sure you will notice a difference in one or the other.
  • TheNewDanielle
    Options
    Don't worry too much. You're making slow changes, and it sounds like you're doing fantastic. I hate not seeing any progress, or not as much as I thought I did. Don't get discouraged... I know, easier said than done :). Push through and keep doing wonderful. You'll see the inches fall off faster than weight, which is much harder to appreciate :). Your body is just getting used to the changes, and everyone is different. Good luck next week :)
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    you could be gaining muscle and losing lots of fat. Always a good thing. Muscle weighs more than fat so like others have said take measurements and give it some time. A week is too soon to get upset give it at least two and better yet a month. Do before and after pics and the measurements. Those visuals will astound you.
  • BeastieGirl
    Options
    Keep at it and be patient.Also, are you completing the daily food diary? I only joined MFP yesterday ad I've been shocked at the calorific content of even the "heathy" foods I eat. It's all about getting your intake (food) and your output (exercise) properly balanced. I exercise nearly every day and I vary my workouts and train with a PT, but I'm still not losing weight because my food choices are poor or my portions are too big. But I'll get there and so will you:smile:
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Soreness = swelling. Swelling = water retention. Water retention = extra weight.

Weigh yourself at the end of your rest week when most of the soreness is gone and you should get better results.

Don't give up though. And just remember it's the long term trends that matter.

GL and keep pushing play :-)
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    can't see your food diary so cannot see if you are eating any of your exercise calories.
    If not, you may need to try eating at least some of them back if your net calories for each day is averaging below 1200 by very much.

Weight loss can be slowed (even stopped) by not eating enough to prevent your body from slipping into survival (aka starvation) mode.
  • kleverenz
    Options
    Remember, muscle weighs more than fat. Like the others are saying, the scale is not the only measurement for a healthy body. Keep it up and look to how you feel and how your clothes fit.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds and 1 pant size by myself before I joined in the end of September. Since then I have lost 9 pounds, 40 inches and 3 pant sizes! I lost 9 1/2 inches from each thigh,but only 9 pounds. Now I measure more than I weigh because I want to be smaller!
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? Make sure you are eating at least 1200 net calories.. so if you are burning 800 calories, you need to make sure you are fueling your body.

Are you drinking enough water? Make sure you are getting those 8 cups in a day!

What are your macro nutrients set at? You want to be getting enough lean protein to repair those muscles. Also, if you are sore, your muscles may be retaining water.

Continue working out and make sure to record everything you eat. You may want to invest in a food scale if you don't have one already and also a HRM to have accurate exercise burns.

Good luck!
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    hang in there. my body is up and down all over the place when I weigh every day, but i've steadily lost a little bit from week to week. it's best not to focus too much on the scale, and just stick with eating healthy and exercising. it could be that you're building muscle, which weighs more than fat, but sculpts your body.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You are probably gaining muscle at the same time as losing fat. Like previous posts say, take your measurements. I'm sure you will notice a difference in one or the other.

Not likely any muscle gain in one week. Most likely you are retaining water weight from doing a new routine (same reason you are sore) Your muscles tend to retain water to protect them from the micro tears caused by working out and is more prominent when starting a new routine or increasing intensity. Keep at it and once you get use to the workouts your body will shed the excess water weight.
  • luv2workout
    Options
    Don't worry ... keep doing what you're doing. You - or somebody else - will notice. Do take your measurements. The scale is not going up, so maybe you're losing fat and gaining muscle - in which case, muscle weighs more just takes up less room. :)
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Here's for some tough love.... you have to change your mindset if you want to achieve weight loss. One week is never an indicator in this game. Don't freak out. Take measurements. Drink more water. If nothing happens in a month then you might have a case but I really doubt nothing will! Read these forums, there are lots of tips.