Giving up ALL alcohol for 2 weeks!

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
Yep. I'm doing it. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my nightly glass of wine or 2 but I'm not drinking ANY alcohol for the next 2 weeks. I want to see if giving it up will increase my weight loss. Has anyone given up alcohol and if so, did it speed up your weight loss? Thanks!

Replies

• gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    Hadn't touched the stuff all year.. Seriously..

It's helped some.. I've dropped 15 lbs since Jan 3rd.. I'd love to know where I'd be at if I hadn't taken the last 2 weeks off.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    good luck! I gave up alcohol too--I did not have a problem with it, but just no desire to drink my calories - LOL :)
  • vabheegaard
    Options
    I gave up alcohol all together!! When I started login in the calories of each glass of wine I drank, it freaked me out!!! I am losing weight faster.
  • AndreaWyland
    AndreaWyland Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have no doubt that will speed up your weightloss. Any/every time I give it up I lose more quickly. Sometimes it has to do with just the alcohol but sometimes it also has to do with what goes with that, the water retention or snacking (loss of inhibitions) and lack of exercise due to a not so great feeling in the morning/all day:) So good job! Go for it!
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i literally dont think i could do it. i dont drink every single weekend but when i go i drink its hand in hand. iiiiiii have been thinking of a million ways to get around it :noway:
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    You will NOT regret this decision!! I, too, enjoyed (needed? loved? required?!) my nightly glass or 2 of pinot,....but on New Year's Eve I said I wasnt going to drink for a month to see how it sparked my weight loss. Sure enough, I lost 6 lbs in no time. Since New Year's, Ive maybe had 2 bottles of wine (a big bottle wouldnt last a week usually). And I am happy to report the weight loss is continuing at a steady pace, and I feel better and my skin looks better and i have more energy.....It went into it saying "Ill give it two weeks" since I just needed to go through a weekend without a drink. But now, Im sticking to it and actually enjoying wine-free livin' :)

(Gosh, Im not even gonna read that back to myself since I KNOW it makes me sound like an alcoholic...haha but I promise I wasnt/am not. I just loooved my nightly unwinding routine :))
  • lisacarole
    Options
    It will definitely be a good move. Good luck!
  • adurfee
    adurfee Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes, and yes! I too loved my nightly glasses of wine. Since I gave it up I have definitely noticed the difference. I haven't cut it out completely, if I am out for dinner someplace I will have a drink (or two sometimes) but I account for it, and try to make the space for the calories, or workout more that day as well. It was hard at first, I hadn't realize what a habit it had become. But after 2 or so weeks it wasn't even on my mind, and I'm better for it now. Not that I won't want to go back to having more wine, but not until I have lost the weight I want to lose, and am in a better routine with exercise and a better space healthwise.

Good luck, you can do it!!!
  • seleck05
    seleck05 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    hi!

I haven't given it up entirely, basically because I see this as a healthy lifestyle adjustment rather than a diet and I know I am not going to want to give up ALL alcohol forever. BUT, I have just recently started limiting myself to only drinking any alcohol once per week. Other nights if I go out I just order a seltzer with lime. So far it's been great! Last week I lost 2 lbs and I had been at a stalemate for a while. Also, I was just so much more active with going to the gym all weekend without a hangover to deal with or just morning after sluggishness!
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I started to drink nothing but water/tea on weekdays and it has helped in more ways than one (weight loss, better sleep, less snacking). And when I do have a few drinks on the weekends I make sure to drink a glass of water in between.
  • Aleta2
    Aleta2 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just stopped this month too. I know it will help w/the weight loss.
  • KokomoJoe
    Options
    When your liver is concentrating on breaking down fats rather than processing alcohol, yes it will help. I gave it up Jan 1, but had a couple of setbacks due to funerals and other invites where I ended up drinking. But you could count my bottles of beer on 2 hands rather than needed a scorecard. Lost 26 lbs this year so far. Good luck.
  • jweinfeld74
    Options
    It will definitely help. My husband and I put ourselves on "Weeknight Prohibition" a while back, which means no drinks Sunday (starting at about 6pm...it was still football season when we started) through Thursday. We allowed ourselves drinks on Friday and Saturday evenings, and Sunday afternoon if the mood struck us. I lost about 5 lbs without doing anything at all - and he lost 10, of course, because he's an irritating man who loses weight just by thinking about it. ;-) Anyway - it is a great idea, so GOOD LUCK!!!