I can't believe this! I got a ticket! ME!!!

Options
On the way home from Bible Study tonight, I got pulled over by a State Trooper for having a head light out. I told him it just went out and I was on way home. He didn't care--I even mentioned "church" and "pastor" hoping to be cut a break but NOPE! He wrote me a ticket for defective equipment.

And, I've got to go to court to even get it dismissed by showing the receipt from the garage. I asked if I couldn't just get with him in a day or so to show it was fixed and he could tear up the ticket but NO! Gotta got to court. Great--that means all day sitting there, too. :grumble:

This is the first ticket I have ever gotten--EVER! And it's for a headlight out that just broke. :grumble:

Replies

• shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    On the way home from Bible Study tonight, I got pulled over by a State Trooper for having a head light out. I told him it just went out and I was on way home. He didn't care--I even mentioned "church" and "pastor" hoping to be cut a break but NOPE! He wrote me a ticket for defective equipment.

And, I've got to go to court to even get it dismissed by showing the receipt from the garage. I asked if I couldn't just get with him in a day or so to show it was fixed and he could tear up the ticket but NO! Gotta got to court. Great--that means all day sitting there, too. :grumble:

This is the first ticket I have ever gotten--EVER! And it's for a headlight out that just broke. :grumble:
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options

wow, that guy must be behind on ticket quotas or something...personally I think that is a very lame reason to give someone a ticket. I know in Hanover County (VA) a head light out gives them a reason to pull you over to see if your drunk. Hopefully, the judge will toss that one out....stinks that you actually have to go to court for something so trival. Just makes me :angry: and it's not even me that it happened too!
    :flowerforyou: :smooched:
    leigh Ann
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

wow, that is pretty intense that he didn't just give you a warning:noway:

...one stopped me on the same thing a couple years back and actually my situation was a bit different so I was glad he stopped me:laugh:

I had NO IDEA mine had burned out....way different response though...not sure he even gave me a warning..other than saying....do you realize you have a headlight out? Might wanna get that taken care of as soon as you can.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience especially when it had only just gone out...it's not like you can stop on the side of the road and replace it quite like a tire. sheesh:noway: :flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    In NC (in certain counties), you can talk to the DA before the day starts (I think between 8-9am), show proof the faulty equipment was fixed, and they will waive it on the spot. They don't want to waste their court time for a busted headlight, just the same as you don't want to spend the day there. Call your local office and ask procedure... you might just have to spend an hour in court that morning, waiting in line to talk to the DA, rather than spending the entire day there.

By the way, I was given a ticket for having a license plate light bulb out when I was preggers. Some cops are jerks.
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Wow! Must've just got in trouble for not having enough on his quotas. Hopefully, he was at least pretty to look at....
  • shorerider
    Options
    I've got great respect for Law Enforcement but I was doing some grumbling under my breath!
    VA. State Troopers are known to be hard-nosed though.

Funny thing was, we had just got through talking in Bible Study about the verses that say "obey all civil authorities." :laugh: I was thinking of that as I was grumbling.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I've got great respect for Law Enforcement but I was doing some grumbling under my breath!
    VA. State Troopers are known to be hard-nosed though.

Funny thing was, we had just got through talking in Bible Study about the verses that say "obey all civil authorities." :laugh: I was thinking of that as I was grumbling.

Sounds like God was throwing a test your direction!!
  • lsalazarii
    lsalazarii Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Sorry about the ticket Shore.... I haven't been on in a while and just noticed your ticker... you're in the 60's CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Geez... you people just constantly amaze and inspire me.
  • shorerider
    Options
    Sorry about the ticket Shore.... I haven't been on in a while and just noticed your ticker... you're in the 60's CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Geez... you people just constantly amaze and inspire me.

Thanks! The last 4.5 were thanks to a diuretic the Doc gave me--seems I was retaining more fluid than I imagined!
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I couldn't talk my way out of a card board box hon...at least it wasn't a ticket for something you can't *fix" like a red light, running over the officer's dog...Anyway...

That bites! Grrrrrr...
  • shorerider
    Options
    running over the officer's dog...That bites! Grrrrrr...

LOL--you must be feeling better!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options

[/quote

You're first ticket ever!!! Suddenly I feel like John Dillinger. Even for a clean living Pastor that's amazing.

You'll have to tell us the story about when you go to court.

These things don't happen when you're on your bicycle. Keep riding, you're an inspiration to me.
  • nichols
    nichols Posts: 240
    Options
    i would have let u go for sure.:wink: Do u have to actually go to court and see a judge or go to the clerk of courts. i know in florida its called a fix it ticket and u go to the local pd and show them its fixed and an officer signs off on the ticket , then u pay 5 dollars to the local pd and 7 dollars to the clerk of courts. its a non moving violation with no points towards your license. your rite though its a precautionary legal stop. 90% of my drug arrest started with a burned out tag light.
  • shorerider
    Options
    Yeah, I know he stopped me thinking he might get something else out of it--drugs or something. It was on Rt. 13, which is the only highway down the Eastern Shore and is used as a shortcut by many to come from up north. They get a lot of drug busts on it, that's for sure!

I have to go and show my receipt to the judge--can't just even look him up that morning. :ohwell: Thankfully, I live almost within site of the County Courthouse but because of that, I know how packed that place is all the time. It'll probably be an all day affair. Oh well. Not much I can do at this point.

Of course, the officer was nice enough to point out that I could avoid coming to court by pre-paying the fine :noway:

Oh, and Thompson--yeah, first ticket! Now I've been stopped before but always got a warnings. Used to have a speeding problem when I was younger but even then never got pulled over for anything more than 10 or 12 over. I think it was because I have only been very courtesy and respectful. But that didn't work this time!

So I came home and told my DH "guess what you're doing today-fixing my light!"