Chemicals in Beauty Products

Options
We're all here changing our lives for the better...eating organic, excercising daily so I thought I'd post this interesting article. It's alarming to think that our bodies are absorbing nasty chemicals through our toothpaste, soap, body lotion, etc.....and don't get me started on cleaning products!!!

http://www.well-women.com/chemicals.html

Replies

• daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    you make an excellent point, something thats been on my mind a lot lately

im going to read this later, my work computer wont let me on the site...
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Definitely interesting....
  • rodegghero
    rodegghero Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    It is because of this that I make my own cleaning products among other Things!
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • Sandiweber03
    Options
    wow thanks for the info...I knew tanning wasn't great but some of that stuff shocked me!
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    00o00
  • KiraLech
    Options
    This article is packed with propaganda. While I agree that sticking to a healthy lifestyle and being aware of what you’re putting in and on your body is extremely important, more research should go into your choices than just reading this article. Most of the information listed is designed to scare people, not provide details on the proven side effects of these products. Perhaps doing research on a more credible website would be recommended.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I went to a seminar in December and January by a local naturopath who discussed toxicity and weight loss and he did mention that we live an an environment where we consistently are exposed to toxins including what is in hair care, make up, cleaning products etc. I think there is some real truth to the issue. He recommended a company that is local to us that makes organic skin care. He also said Tom's of Maine is a good source for toothpaste and some other products.

I now try to use more Burt's Bees stuff because it is readily available. I am not sure that it is the best because they are not 100% natural but I am sure it is better than a lot of the mass market stuff out there.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    We're all here changing our lives for the better...eating organic, excercising daily so I thought I'd post this interesting article. It's alarming to think that our bodies are absorbing nasty chemicals through our toothpaste, soap, body lotion, etc.....and don't get me started on cleaning products!!!

Yes, I actually made changes in regards to cosmetics, hygiene products and cleaning supplies before I totally cleaned up my eating...... At that time, my eating was about 60% good, 40% bad............

My sister makes our body wash, soaps and shampoos. We use coconut oil to moisturize our bodies, cleanse and moisturize our face.

I make cleaning supplies for my sister and I using water, lemon, baking soda and vinegar. I found recipes on the internet.

We use soap nuts for washing our clothes.

I use these cosmetics .......... http://store.natures-harvest.net/servlet/-strse-Cosmetics/Categories
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Everything will kill you now days...everything.Whatever I really dont pay to much attention anymore:huh:
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Everything will kill you now days...everything.Whatever I really dont pay to much attention anymore:huh:

We should pay attention. We are paying companies to fill our bodies, environment, and our lives with packages and needless toxins.

The only way to get things to change is to change what we use and how we use it. Going with the smaller companies that specialize in organic and natural products.

I try to buy items that come in packages that are using recycled products. I pay specific attention to the label and see how much the % is of recycled materials.........

We have only 1 life and 1 earth. We should all do our part to take care of both.
  • GinoATC
    Options
    Do you remember all those thousands of women a couple years back dying from the lipstick they were wearing. NO YOU DON'T!!!! Make-up and lotion and soap and hair dye are not going to kill you. Or even make you sick for that matter, that is unless you are already criticall ill. This is just another article to scare you into buying "organic" products that are way more expensive and usuly not even organic. When was the last time you heard your friend tell you they got toxic shock from brushing thier teeth? Come on.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Do you remember all those thousands of women a couple years back dying from the lipstick they were wearing. NO YOU DON'T!!!! Make-up and lotion and soap and hair dye are not going to kill you. Or even make you sick for that matter, that is unless you are already criticall ill. This is just another article to scare you into buying "organic" products that are way more expensive and usuly not even organic. When was the last time you heard your friend tell you they got toxic shock from brushing thier teeth? Come on.

Seriously this.
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options

hair dye gives me chemical burns so its henna for me
  • thankyou4thevenom
    Options

hair dye gives me chemical burns so its henna for me

That's a specific allergic reaction. Henna is not a chemical that will kill everyone like this thing is claiming.

They're not talking about allergic reactions, they're just screaming TOXIN'S!!!! POISONS!!! CHEMICALS!! OH MY!!
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    yeah im allergic to everything it sucks lol i miss the wide range of colors i could do with chemical hair dye:sad:
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    You don't have to buy anything special to be good to your body. I actually started going Shampoo free nearly a year ago. I make my own hair wash with Baking soda, fresh herbs (mint, sage, etc) and an herbal tea infusion.

I don't have to wash my hair nearly as often because of this. I do use conditioner but only Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner (it's super cheap and works brilliantly)
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I work in skincare. There are alot of dangerous chemicals in beauty products. Like mercury in mascara. Seriously.

The reason it seems like scare tactics is because there are very limited restrictions on what can go in these products. Unfortunately, these governing bodies only listen when enough people freak out. Thats how it works for everything nowadays. There is little progress being made in the area and it is actually quite alarming amonst many others in my field.

I don't care to use scare tactics. But if you come to see me and want my opinion. I'm going to tell you the truth. Most doctors will too. Even a local hospital by me has switched to locally made, organic, cosmeceuticals. Why? Because the purpose is to heal, treat, and maintain the skin. It is your largest organ and is far more important than people treat it.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    Options
    You don't have to buy anything special to be good to your body. I actually started going Shampoo free nearly a year ago. I make my own hair wash with Baking soda, fresh herbs (mint, sage, etc) and an herbal tea infusion.

I don't have to wash my hair nearly as often because of this. I do use conditioner but only Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner (it's super cheap and works brilliantly)

I tried that because my hair was so damaged and suffered six weeks of hair that I couldn't comb and looked like hell. It really didn't work for me.
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options

Yes, I actually made changes in regards to cosmetics, hygiene products and cleaning supplies before I totally cleaned up my eating...... At that time, my eating was about 60% good, 40% bad............

My sister makes our body wash, soaps and shampoos. We use coconut oil to moisturize our bodies, cleanse and moisturize our face.

I make cleaning supplies for my sister and I using water, lemon, baking soda and vinegar. I found recipes on the internet.

We use soap nuts for washing our clothes.

I use these cosmetics .......... http://store.natures-harvest.net/servlet/-strse-Cosmetics/Categories

all that stuff REALLY REALLY expensive I have kids to feed,eventually something will kill me no one lives forever.