1/2 cup of 2% milk
2 tbsp instant coffee
1 tbsp cocoa powder
then I started adding to stuff to make it taste better:
6 packets of splenda
1/2 scoop of vanilla protein powder
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
1 tsp vanilla extract

It still tastes gross- sour/ bitter anny suggestions? I don't want to throw it out..

Replies

• Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    try this one;
    1 scoop of body fortress protein powder (cookies n cream is the brand I am using atm)
    1 small banana or 1/2 a large one
    4-5 strabwerries frozen ones
    1 tbsp flax seed (added fiber and great for the heart)
    1 cup of very cold water alternatively you can use some ice
    1/2 tsp cinamon for the antibacterial properties and the taste
    Blend till smooth

leave out the bananna and it drops the cals really quick, I add it for workout recovery and the body absorbs more of the protein.
  • holly2424
    Options
    I would almost bet the instant coffee is making it bitter - if you want a coffee taste make the coffee then add it in.
    You could also try using the unsweetened vanilla almond milk - it adds a slightly sweet flavor. Or maybe some fruit for natural sweetness.

Here's what I put in mine - it tastes a little sweet but no too much.

1 c. Almond Breeze, vanilla, unsweetened
    1 scoop protein powder
    1/4 c. blueberries
    1/2 banana
    1 1/2 c. ice

Hope this helps!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Next time leave the coffee out. That probably did the flavor in.
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    If it tastes sour, your extracts probably curdled your milk. It sounds beyond salvation at this point.
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    If it tastes sour, your extracts probably curdled your milk. It sounds beyond salvation at this point.
  • Janelle3927
    Options
    The coffee and the cocoa powder..I don't have almond milk, maybe ill add more milk. I'm most likely going to just throw it away :(
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    If you haven't given up, go back and add some more milk and a banana. Drink half and save the rest for later. That's a LOT of yogurt, so going forward you should @ least cut it in half. Greek Yogurt isn't as tart, but I hate to waste that in a smoothie..

My standard recipe for 2 smoothies is:

1/2 c plain non-fat yogrut
    1 cup "milk" (skim/soy/almond)
    1 small or medium frozen banana **makes it smooth and adds texture and sweetness, but you can skip if you want**
    2 tsp flax seed
    2 scoops vanilla protain powder
    6-8 ice cubes or to desired frozen texture

Then to customize that you can add any of the following. Most of them individually, but I do like the peanut butter/coffee combo for some reason!!

berries
    Peanut butter
    coffee (1/2 c brewed, but decrease your milk by same amount, or I often just use a tsp of finely ground coffee, but NOT instant)
    Cocoa powder
    1/4 c pumpkin and some pumpkin pie spice (pumpkin Pie smoothie)
    Juice from 2 freshly squeezed limes (tastes like frozen key lime pie)
  • pocketsam
    Options
    Tablespoon peanut butter
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 coconut water
    30g of 'rego' active recovery vanilla flavour

# I alternate peanut butter with a medium banana.
    # If I dont have coconut water I just use regular water.
    # Extra sweetness 1 tablespoon drinking chocolate (options)

usually 270 cals
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I agree--coffee and plain yogurt don't sound like they'd mix well. You could try adding strawberries if you have them, but I'm not sure there's much you can do at this point...
  • Janelle3927
    Options
    The milk is fresh, the yogurt maybe? but i just bought it a week ago and opened it thursday..

never mind I just re-read what you said..I'm going to just throw it out :(
  • pocketsam
    Options
    Correct if I am wrong but coffee, peppermint and vanilla are all bitter until they are cooked (in cakes/biscuit etc)

Fruit is a great way of sweetening milk :)

I use crunchy peanut butter for extra bite which works great with the vanilla protein powder.

Hope thats helpful x
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Splenda was created by mistake by a scientist who thought his boss said taste instead of test.
    They were creating insecticides

This is what I already put in.

1 cup of non-fat plain yogurt
    1/2 cup of 2% milk
    2 tbsp instant coffee
    1 tbsp cocoa powder
    then I started adding to stuff to make it taste better:
    6 packets of splenda
    1/2 scoop of vanilla protein powder
    1/2 tsp peppermint extract
    1 tsp vanilla extract

It still tastes gross- sour/ bitter anny suggestions? I don't want to throw it out..
  • Janelle3927
    Options
    Splenda was created by mistake by a scientist who thought his boss said taste instead of test.
    They were creating insecticides

dont worry you don't have to convince me how bad it is. I don't like it and I try not to use it but I bought a big box and feel like i should finish it. I was back and forth between using regular sugar and splenda..i went with no calories
  • RMinVA
    Options
    I agree--coffee and plain yogurt don't sound like they'd mix well. You could try adding strawberries if you have them, but I'm not sure there's much you can do at this point...

Actually coffee and yogurt can make a great smoothie if you get the proportions right. I make them all the time!
  • Janelle3927
    Options
    Actually coffee and yogurt can make a great smoothie if you get the proportions right. I make them all the time!

how do you make yours?
  • RMinVA
    Options

how do you make yours?

Look at my first post....lots of options, suggestions there.
  • cflexen
    Options
    Here is a recipe that I found in Womens World Magazine
    I tried it and its pretty good!

Number of servings=4

* 1 1/2 cups-Fat Free Milk

*1 cup- Fat Free Greek Yogurt - Vanilla or plain

* 1-Banana

*2 tbs. -cocoa - Dry powder, unsweetened

*2 tbs. -Honey

*2 cups ice cubes

nutrition info- Cal. 126, protein 9g, chol.2mg, Carbs 24g, Sodium 61 mg, Fiber 2g, Sugar 19g. (aprox. depending on the types of ingridents used)

**Hope this helps!:wink:
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking shakes before I knew what sakes were. I use to drink ensures in high school, I use to jack my grandma for her ensures. LOL
    The onething you can totally keep 1000000% healthy is your shake.

Sugars? Fruits
    Carbs? Fruits or dry oats
    Taste/fats? Peanut Butter (natty)
    flax seed, wheat germ
    I mean you can even throw in a nutragrain bar if you must

my shake every day is 100% whey banana/strawberry, wheat germ, flax seed, water ice
    you can add in a good chobani yogurt that has some peach or sometihng to you need taste. why use plain yogurt?
  • Janelle3927
    Options
    I threw it out

Mocha Smoothie Take 2:

1 c. 2% Milk
    1/2 c. non-fat plain yogurt
    1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1 tbsp natural peanut butter
    1 packet of splenda
    Instant coffee to taste..probably around 1 tbsp.

not so bad, edible, but not a recipe I'd make again. Thanks for your help. I will def try these recipe's when im off phase 1 of south beach diet and can eat fruit again!
  • Janelle3927
    Options
    I have been drinking shakes before I knew what sakes were. I use to drink ensures in high school, I use to jack my grandma for her ensures. LOL
    The onething you can totally keep 1000000% healthy is your shake.

Sugars? Fruits
    Carbs? Fruits or dry oats
    Taste/fats? Peanut Butter (natty)
    flax seed, wheat germ
    I mean you can even throw in a nutragrain bar if you must

my shake every day is 100% whey banana/strawberry, wheat germ, flax seed, water ice
    you can add in a good chobani yogurt that has some peach or sometihng to you need taste. why use plain yogurt?

OMG I used to take ensures from my grandma too!! well not take exactly she gave them to us, we still have some in the pantry. They were lifesavers for days that I didn't want to eat (and there were many)

Flax seeds made my protien turn into a gel..it was gross but i guess if you drink it before it has time to absorb it's fine. but I let it sit for a few hours to chill and by time i cme back to it..another shake i had to throw away :(

also I use plain yogurt because I'm on the south beach diet and am trying to cut my sugar/carb cravings. I'll get back to eating regular food soon (not soon enough!)