New to this forum..have a ques...

Options
Hi

i just signed-up to this site, and have a question...

I weight 150 lbs, and am 5-5" tall

My Goal weight is 125 lbs

When i logged in this site...it told me that i should eat 1200 cal/day, and also divided the carb/fat/ protein for me...

i was curious that this 1200 cal/day thing is specific for my goals...or is everybody recommended to eat 1200 cal/day

i am sorry if it comes as a stupid ques...but will really appreciate if somebody guides me :)

Also...is it possible to lose 2 lbs/week by eating 1200 cal/day????? thanks again!

Replies

• Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    its specific to your goals, everyones is different and do not set the loss to more than 1 pound a week as if you exceed that the body tends to fight back a bit, often like most yoyo diets do to ppl, plus its a more realistic goal to drop 1 lb/wk unless you have a lot of weight to lose. Mine for example is 2000 cal/day to lose 1 lb/wk.
  • EDBENAGLIO
    Options
    its specific to your goals, everyones is different and do not set the loss to more than 1 pound a week as if you exceed that the body tends to fight back a bit, often like most yoyo diets do to ppl, plus its a more realistic goal to drop 1 lb/wk unless you have a lot of weight to lose. Mine for example is 2000 cal/day to lose 1 lb/wk.

also 1200 is the least anyone should eat in a day so make sure you eat that
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    It makes a recommendation based on what you entered when you signed up. You can go into your goals and settings and play around with it.

Here is a link that can contains other links that will help answer any questions you may think up as you begin using this site:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again?hl=posts+you+can+read+again+and+again
  • AnathemaTeatime
    Options
    I'm 5'8" 165, and I get about 1,300 (hard to recall because I exercise a lot, so mine varies daily accordingly). Weight loss will come more from eating right and exercise than rigid calorie counting (though of course that's important too since we all have a tendency to lie to ourselves about portions!)

My doctor's basic advice for me was, cut out refined carbs (white sugar and flour) and get 45 to 60 mins of cardio most days, and the calories are less important. She seems to be right so far! I try for 5 days of cardio & 2 of strength--often miss a day or 2 each week, but still, it's going well.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much the same height and weight, and when I set my goals to lose 2# a week, I was given 1200 calories, but it said I'd only lose 1.3# a week. 1200 is as low as it goes, and as low as you should go. I never lost more than 1# a week, except when I had a stomach flu.

A week ago, I switched it to 1# a week, got 1340 calories, and lost a pound and a half. Eating less doesn't always mean losing more. It takes some trial and error to find what works best for you.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I know this is not going to be what you want to hear, but if you selected 2 lbs a week and it gave you 1200 calories as a goal, that means that your weight loss per week goal is too high. 1200 is the lowest MFP will let you go, as you need to consume at least this much to keep from triggering your starvation response.

1lb a week, while it feels slow, is the recommended pace for a reason. At 5'5" and 150 lbs you should be a 1lb a week for a while and then you should drop to .5 lbs a week (probably in the high 130's). 2lbs/week is really for people with much more weight to lose.