Meal Planning With Your Kids??

Options
So my sons dad and I are on new schedules where we alternate weeks with him. This is making it really easy for me to eat well when he's not at home, but I'm wondering if I'll still be able to keep it up when he's home with me. I was thinking about it this morning and I think I might try sitting down with him and letting him help me plan our meals. I may even buy one of those white boards so he really get into it. Has anyone else tried this before? Am I crazy for thinking I can persuade my son into helping me make some healthy choices? He is 3 by the way and is insanely smart.

I think maybe if I tell give him a list of foods and tell him he gets to pick one of each item (veggie, protein and a complex carb), he may actually enjoy it and feel like he's accomplished something. Maybe the healthy eating patterns will even stick with him through his adult life. Anyways... I'm hopeful. :) Or just crazy...

Replies

• Sandiweber03
    Options
    I think that's a great idea. I've done that with my 5 year old and he feels so proud to help and eats it right up!
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    You absolutely should include him in your meal planning. I have done this since my daughter learned to eat with her hands. She is 11 now and has excellent nutritional understanding. He will not only learn about how eating goods foods are important, but it will help you bond with him in a new way. He will feel really good getting to make decisions with you, like you value his opinions.

Don't just stop with meal planning. Let him join you at the grocery store and see all the different kinds of fresh produce. Alot of kids nowadays don't even know that french fries are made from potatoes. He will gain a connection to his food. Kids that age love to help in the kitchen too. Food can be so fun for them.

This is not crazy, IMO, it's necessary. Have fun with it! Kids will surprize you with what they like when we let them choose. And they become more open and willing to try new things. I tried something with my daughter when she was going thru a "I don't like anything but mac and cheese" phase. We went shopping and each week she chose one new vegetable or fruit. We prepared it together and tried different things with it. Total success. I even found new things that I loved!
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    It is harder with the kids around. My kids always complain when they come over now, because I don't keep junk food in the house. If I want to keep it healthy when they are here, sometimes I will make things like; baked chicken tenders with baked fries, Turkey burgers with whole wheat buns, Chicken Quesadillas with whole wheat tortillas, Any lean meat grilled, with potato,and a veggie. The problem I have is that they like to go out sometimes too. That's where I get in trouble.
  • Mtymouse82
    Options
    I do this with both my 4 and 2 (almost 3 year old). I have a benefit of my kids loving vegies. I think the only one they don't like is brussel sprouts. Although they do get a little repetitive with their choices.
  • terpgirl23
    terpgirl23 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My kiddo just turned 4 and loves to help. I pick one night a week that is "hers" and she gets to decide what we eat. Actually, what we do first is sit down and make a list of all of the things she likes to eat. Then, on "her" night, she can pick from the list. The nice thing about starting from a list first is that we can really talk about it and set some ground rules for what goes on it. ("Um....no, we can not put Pez on the list"), then when it's time to select a meal from her list to put on the menu, they have already been "previously sanctioned".

My kiddo also cooks with me. She has her own apron and bowls. She knows where things are in the kitchen and how to mix and measure things. I let her play around a lot. I have noticed the more involved in cooking she is, the more likely she is to trying new foods.
  • DoneWithTheFatGirl
    Options
    I don't know why I never thought about involving him in the process sooner. He loves to help me cook, so this will be exciting! I'm super excited about it now :)
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    last year, i wanted to introduce leeks to the boys. i found a recipe that i was going to use and then i had the boys help me make it. they ate it up! and asked for more! if i would have made it on my own, they might have tried it, but probably would not have given it a chance. lol.

now my kids regularly help with the planning and making of supper. :)
  • bekkyhughes
    Options
    My parents always had a meal plan to limit grocery shopping, it meant they were less tempted to put cake etc in. It's a good idea for your diet and your wallet!

I always loved cottage pie as a kid. If you make it with Quorn mince, peas, carrots and then top it was potato and low fat cheese I guarantee your kid will eat it.
  • kyregi
    kyregi Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    We always have some kid friendly alternatives in the freezer, which can be done within minutes in the microwave. So if they really do not like our meat as it is prepared we can thaw some chicken nuggets or meatballs quickly. But that happens at most once every three weeks. usually they (3 and 6) eat everything we have. That might not eat it in the same proportions as we do, but usually we do not have to make any extra food Or cook to their taste. If they haven't eaten enough to be full we also might add a yoghurt for them, which is always a "yes" with our kids. So they get their extra calcium :smile: