Finding time to exercise with a busy schedule...

Options
I am a full-time student with 2 children. My schedule is not very forgiving, but I really want to find exercise that I can fit in. Are there any good exercise programs that you all know of that are maybe 30 minutes or so a day, or any routine that I can stick to? I have never been an athlete and basically know 3 types of exercise, running, sit ups/crunches, and push ups. As you can see I am in great need of help!! I am open to anything, and very thankful for all of your advice.

Shan

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    You could try 30 Day Shred (20 minute workout) by Jillian Michaels. It's sold everywhere.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    As a busy person, you need to set a time for YOU and treat it as an important meeting that you may not miss. Planning is the key to getting your exercise in and figuring out what works best with you. This is what I do since I'm at work and class form 7:30 am until 10 pm:
    weekdays @ 4:30 am, weekends @ 8 am:
    Monday, Friday*: p90x strength training at the gym.
    Tuesday, Thursday: Easy run outside
    Wednesday: Spinning at the gym
    Saturday: Tempo Run, Golf
    Sunday: Long Run, Yoga
    *Optional rest day

Good luck!
  • bkegurl36
    bkegurl36 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am very much like you! I work full time and go to school full time! It can be a handful! I find that the only time that I have to workout is bright and early! I do some of the P90X videos on monday, wed, friday. My schedule is too hectic for the whole 6 day commitment, as I am sure yours is too. I do the basic arm, abs and leg ones to make sure I am working those muscles out enough. I also will run on my treadmill on the weekends or sometimes Tuesday night I have an hour I can squeeze in a run! Hope it helps!
  • jclji4
    jclji4 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    If you are able, you can fit in 10 min exercises in your day 3 times per day. I have read that that is as good as doing 30 min at one time. I have a pilates dvd that has 10 min work outs. I can do the entire dvd at once, or I can split it up. So, you can wake up maybe 10 min earlier. Do 10 min before your day starts, fit another 10 min in later, and 10 min in the evening. I read where 10 min walks throughout the day works as well.
  • musicgirl99
    musicgirl99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    You can try the Women's Health dvds. Specifically - Total Workout in Ten is great because it breaks out a 39-minute workout into four 10-minute sessions so you can do as much or as little as you have time for. Here's the product description:

"Swamped at home, and craving exercise but you can t spare a minute for the treadmill, much less get motivated to set an incline? Our solution? Total Workout in Ten, developed by the editors of Women s Health Magazine. Broken into four 10-minute sessions, this intense workout allows you to customize your burn based on your time, energy level, and target zones. Exercise for one 10-minute block or combine the routines to build a full-body workout. "

The other Women's Health dvd that I really enjoy is "Ultimate Fat Burn". I think this dvd is 38 minutes long (including cool down) but it's a great workout and the instructor (same one from Total Workout in Ten) is really motivating and cool. I also like the Zumba dvds. The "Cardio Party" dvd is fun and burns a lot of calories in a short amount of time. I think it's about 40 minutes long but again you can do as much of it as you have time for.

I think the Women's Health dvds can be found on Netflix (if you have a subscription) or on YouTube.
  • s704a191
    Options
    Lots of great ideas! Thanks a ton! I think I am going to try and do the, get up early and do exercise before everyone else is up and about. I bet it will be nice to have that little bit of time for myself! Thanks again. Keep the suggestions coming. Having several options is important with a busy schedule ;)
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    if you have children and a game system you can always try something like dance dance revolution. it has a calorie counter and i used to do it all the time. you really work up a sweat.
    i read about wii fit or other consoles i read about on the forums and i think they have games that don't 'seem' like workouts but are, so it'd be fun for kids too.

it could be nice if it were family fitness time and at least you wouldn't be worrying about finding someone to watch them/not spending enough time with them. but i don't know if you have a system like that. i imagine a used ps2 would be on the lower end, but i don't keep up with these things.
  • s704a191
    Options
    We have the Wii fit, but my youngest is 2 and as soon as I pull out the balance board she is all over it :) The games like that are fun though. I may try to give it another go as she gets a little bigger.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Lots of great ideas! Thanks a ton! I think I am going to try and do the, get up early and do exercise before everyone else is up and about. I bet it will be nice to have that little bit of time for myself! Thanks again. Keep the suggestions coming. Having several options is important with a busy schedule ;)

This is what I do and I love it. My energy level is soaring most of the day because of that jump start. Just make sure you are getting enough sleep at night.
  • jesdanha
    Options
    Hi!

I've never posted on here, but I saw your post and couldn't resist taking a look at the responses. I love the ten minute here, ten minute there idea.

I have been a therapist in a cognitive-behavioral weight loss group. One thing that can be helpful for very busy people is lifestyle activity rather than structured fitness. In fact, only 10% of the population maintains structured activity. The rest of us have to be a little crafty :)

Lifestyle activity can be increased by taking more steps in the day. If you want to try this, you can buy a pedometer, do a baseline week and just see how many steps you take on an average day. then, the idea is to get creative every week and try to increase by 500 steps per day each week.

If you increase by 2000 steps per day this is 200 calories / day. 200 times 365 days in a year is 73,000 calories. This translates to 20 pounds in a year. Imagine how much you can lose if you get up to the reccommended 10,000 a day!

Some ideas for increasing your lifestyle steps - Park in the very back of the parking lot, take a trip around the office on the way to and from the bathroom, schedule short one or two minute walk breaks every hour or so at work.

I just thought I would add one more choice to your menu of options!

~Jess
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    After reading all of these I see that I have to just start getting up earlier to exercise. Trying to do it later just sets me up for failure! Thanks for posting this, so I would read it and hear some great advice! You can add me if you'd like. I definitely need to be friends with people who understand what it's like to have a lack of time!