Zucchini??? Need more ideas!

Options
Loved the ideas for the asparagus now I need ideas for zucchini. I LOVE the kind that semolinas has, but it is SOAKED in butter. I need plan B.....=)

Replies

• jtgill
    jtgill Posts: 48
    Options
    Have you ever tried it as a substitute for noodles in lasagna? pretty good!
  • dihardcheer86
    Options
    My grandma used to slice them, coat with bread crumbs then fry them..but i bet you could bake them instead!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    cut them into thin strips and substitute for spagetti noodles....cuts TONS of calories out
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    Sliced and grilled is excellent- you can brush with olive oil, S&P plus herbs if desired.
    Many people grate it to add to dishes like meat loaf/ burgers. Just be aware that it has a high water content.
    I had grilled chicken tacos last week with grilled veggies that included hunks of zucchini and it was delicious and low fat.
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    This is a staple in our house. I usually make make the brown rice on the side and leave out the cheese.

1/3 cup uncooked brown rice
    2/3 cup water
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 1/2 pounds zucchini, cubed
    1 cup sliced green onions
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/2 teaspoon basil
    1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 1/2 cups seeded, chopped tomatoes
    2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided

Directions
    Combine the rice and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, until rice is tender.
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a shallow 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
    Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the zucchini, green onions, and garlic 5 minutes, or until tender. Season with garlic salt, basil, paprika, and oregano. Mix in the cooked rice, tomatoes, and 1 cup cheese. Continue to cook and stir until heated through. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese.
    Bake uncovered 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
  • mixmastermolly
    Options
    I slice zuchinni and sautee it for a bit with some diced tomatoes and garlic, oregano, and onion. Melt some part skim mozzarella over it. Yum.
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I love the substitute for spaghetti and lasagna!! I also bread them and bake them. Zucchini bread is fantastic for a snack, too!! We love to put a little butter, garlic, salt and pepper on our zucchini, mix it with squash, and grill it. Yum!! :)
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I cook zucchini in everything - stir fries, pasta sauces, lightly sauteed in garlic and a tbsp of olive oil as a side dish, and of course, in muffins, breads and my family's chocolate zucchini cake that is our staple birthday cake (not really "healthy" but a great way to say you're eating zucchini hehe)
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    Oh...and I also made zucchini crisp last year. Just like apple crisp instead you use zucchini. You can't tell the difference. This is great dessert option!
  • healthydoseofglitter
    Options
    cut them into thin strips and substitute for spagetti noodles....cuts TONS of calories out

how do you cook them? Do you just slice them up and heat them in a pan?
  • tlhorsley
    tlhorsley Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Slice it thin, toss with some olive oil and oregano then put on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for about 20-30 mins (depends on how thin you slice them).
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    bump - love zucchini! i eat mine raw in strips (like cukes) with hummus, cook it into soups and stirfrys, have it with protein, veg and egg whites in the morning, or roast it in the oven with eggplant, peppers and red onions to use as an awesome wrap or foccacia filling.

Really enjoying the other suggestions. Never thought to use it as a sub for pasta though - thanks!
  • jessemerson86
    jessemerson86 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried it as a substitute for noodles in lasagna? pretty good!

I do this too! It's so delicious. I've also used zucchini and summer squash in stir fries.
  • joleciamichelle
    joleciamichelle Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    for a good snack idea, you can bake or dehydrate it and eat it with hummus. no dinner ideas though, sorry
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

how do you cook them? Do you just slice them up and heat them in a pan?

You boil them in water for about 1.5 mins to 2 mins
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    zucchini boats. im vegan and this is a very low cal dinner. zucchini, onions, chunky tomato sauce, and I use tofu but you can use meat crumbles or whatever you like. you cut out the inside of the zucchini and fill the inside the mix inside of it. the rest of the zucchini is in this mixture as well. with tofu though its less calories.about 250 a serving in calories. its one of my recipes if you want to try it. good luck. i love zucchini, my vegan lasagna is great with them too.
  • finncmh
    finncmh Posts: 290
    Options
    Here is a recipe for a nice Zucchini Lasagna (to replace the pasta) quick and easy

1lb Ground Meat (I usually use chicken or turkey breast)
    Jar of Pasta Sauce
    Shredded Mozzerella or other shredded cheese (usually a small bag of the preshredded stuff is enough)
    4-5 Zucchinis

Peel and cut the zuchinni in to long thin lasagna looking shapes to take the place of your pasta
    Brown the ground meat
    When it is almost cooked at the pasta sauce and let it simmer on low for a few minutes to warm up
    In a glass dish one layer of zucchini, one layer of meat sauce, one layer of cheese- repeat until you have used ingredients ending with cheese on top and then I usually throw some garlic powder on top as well

Sorry no specific measurements on the cheese- you really can use as much or as little as you want! Which is nice. If I am doing this with only 1lb of meat I use an 8x8 glass dish and have enough for 2 ppl with leftovers for both of us for lunch the next day. If I am using 2lbs I usually just double everything and put it in a rectangular glass dish (think thats 9x13 or something around that size)

Anyway, its a great fast dish super yummy, great nutrients, and not to calories crazy! enjoy :):):)
  • mrsbuzz
    mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    bumping for later
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Zucchini prawn pasta (my fiance loves this!)

Cook some pasta of your choice - I like it with small sized pasta shapes.
    About 2 minutes before the end of pasta cooking time, add some grated zucchini to the pasta pan, stirring in well.
    In a bowl, combine some prawns with a chopped chili, crushed garlic, and a little olive oil.
    Drain the pasta/ zucchni mix.
    Stir the chili-prawn bowl into the pasta and return to a light heat until the prawns are cooked.
    Serve topped with plenty of chopped coriander, or flat-leaf parsley, or basil. A little shaved parmesan goes well too.
  • dihardcheer86
    Options
    Now that you say this, I've been coming across HEAPS of recipes!

from Shape Magazine:
    Zucchini, tomato, and ricotta tart

serves 4
    prep time: 15 min
    total time: 50 min

1 cup part skim ricotta
    2 eggs, lightly beaten
    1/2 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
    1/2 tsp lemon zest
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    2 medium plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
    Olive oil cooking spray
    8 sheets frozen phyllo dough (8x13inch), thawed
    2 medium zuchini, thinly sliced
    2 tbsp grated parmesan

Preheat oven to 350 F. In small bowl, combine ricotta, eggs, fennel, zest, and half the salt and pepper; set aside.
    Lay tomato slices on paper towels to remove excess moisture.

Lightly mist a 9in pie pan with cooking spray and unroll phyllo. Working quickly, place 1 sheet of phyllo in pan and mist with cooking spray. Place a second sheet over first, and mist, repeat with remaining phyllo. Top with ricotta mixture, then a layer of zucchini and a ring of tomato. Sprinkle with parmesan and remaining salt and pepper and roll overhanging phyllo into a neat border (to resemble pizza crust).

Bake for 35 minutes or until phyllo is golden-brown and zucchini is tender. Let cool for 20 minutes before serving.

Nutrition score per serving (1/4 tart)
    273 cals
    11g fat
    5 g saturated fat
    29 g carb
    16 g protein
    2 g fiber
    233 mg calcium
    3 mg iron
    633 sodium

Swap in fat free ricotta to cut 35 calories and 5 grams of fat per serving!!