Losing too much weight

Options
I am a 27 year old female who is 5'3 and started on January 19th weighing 199lbs. I am supposed to be eating 1290 calories which seems to be working fine. I have lost 19lbs since January 19th. Does this seem to be too quick of a weight loss and should I increase my calories so that it won't be that quick.

Replies

• mrsdiaz
    mrsdiaz Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Take another look at the goals you set for yourself. Make sure it only shows between a 1 to 2 pound loss per week. Some of this could also be "water weight" and your body getting rid of excess that was being kept by your old eating habits. Still keep in mind that even with exercise you need to consume at least 1200 calories a day for healthy weight management.
    If you continue to be concerned, consult your doctor.

Happy Losing!!!
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    It most likely is water weight. Depending on your weight, there could be a lot of water weight to lose.

But also, if you are concerned about the rate, you should change your goals manually. Check your BMR and see what your actually rate of burning is everyday for calories. And then change your goals so you eat a little more calories. That will slow down your weight loss.

For instance, you said that you're eating 1290 per day. But if your basal metabolic rate is 2300 calories. Then you eat 1600 per day and still reasonably expect to lose 1 lb per week. You need to burn 3500 calories to lose a pound. 700 calories per day is 3500 every 5 days. Just think of it that way. Also consider that as an issue. Like I said, look at your BMR. If you are at something like 2300 calories a day BMR, and you're eating about 1200, you're burning 1100 extra a day just by breathing. That means you'd lose approximately 1 pound every 3 days! And you say you've lost 19 lbs since January 19th. Well, it's been 26 days since January 19th. And if you divide that by 3, you would have lost almost 9 pounds just by the caloric change. So if the rest is water weight, that makes a lot of sense!