Healthy Everyday Recipes

Options
I'm looking for as many healthy recipes as possible. My hubby and I eat very differently. I prefer baked and he prefers fried. :ohwell: I want him to slim down with me but I am not sure how to get him to. He thinks eating healthy means you are eating "rabbit food." So, I am wanting to shift our eating habits into something we both agree is yummy. Any and all suggestions welcome!

Replies

• trinityleigh
    Options
    I'm looking for as many healthy recipes as possible. My hubby and I eat very differently. I prefer baked and he prefers fried. :ohwell: I want him to slim down with me but I am not sure how to get him to. He thinks eating healthy means you are eating "rabbit food." So, I am wanting to shift our eating habits into something we both agree is yummy. Any and all suggestions welcome!
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    Check out the recipes posted on the "recipe" board...so many yummy ones!

dd
  • praire
    praire Posts: 73
    Options
    today i was on the kraftcanada.com website and found some very scrumtious receipes. Have a look there.
  • trinityleigh
    Options
    Thanks
  • trinityleigh
    Options
    Praire, Thanks for the tip. I found a site you might like: goodeatinggoodliving.com It's part of Kraft!
  • jenniferd
    Options
    One way that my boyfriend and I try instead of typical fries we will slice up a baked potato or sweet potato and bake in olive oil and salt and pepper- it does the trick. We also make our own chicken fingers with whole wheat bread crumbs, egg whites and then use a low calorie dip for them. We usually get them crispy in olive oil on the stove for a few minutes each side and then bake them. They turn out very crispy and better than what you get out~
    Hope that helps
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    If you brine the chicken breast strips (raw) in salt water with just a pinch of sugar, season some of the "white" whole wheat flour and dredge the dried off pieces of chicken, spray them with some olive oil spray and bake them, you will have amazing chicken strips with very little fat and they are crisp and tender and juicy. They don't need to be salted because you've brined them and they actually will have a lower sodium content than if you breaded them in bread crumbs and salted them (also less sugar since breadcrumbs have sugar in them...actually white bread has a higher glycemic index than simple table sugar). The roasted potatoes are really tasty too...take it from a guy who used to LOVE french fries. I now find the roasted potatoes even better than fries. Good luck and happy eating.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    mmmm Cowboy that sounds very yummy.

Never done a brine but I think I will have to try that.

thank you as always.

Lisa
  • brunion
    brunion Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    im new to the cooking thing would you tell me what brine is? thanks in advance
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Hi, To make a brine for a small chicken or chicken pieces, take 4 cups of cold water, 3 Tablespoons of salt and 1 Tbsp. of sugar. Mix them well and then add the chicken for about 30 minutes (for a whole chicke you can brine for an hour). Pat the chicken (this works equally well on pork and turkey too) dry and then just dredge it in the white whole wheat flour mixed with pepper and whatever other seasonings you might like...garlic or whatever. Spray it with olive oil. The brine keeps it moist, the flour seasons and keeps the juice in and the oil crisps the outside flour.
    Cowboy
  • trinityleigh
    Options
    sounds yummy
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    This is my post from the Food and Nutrition board

=====

I found this website (free) where you can choose from all of these healthy meal ideas and add them to a virtual grocery list. It also has all of the nutritional info.

http://www.healthygrocerylist.com/
  • trinityleigh
    Options
    Thanks dulceluva
    :flowerforyou: