I was bad

Options
So this weekend I had friends in town and skipped my workout for 3 days. I had planned on one of them being a rest day, but the others I just slacked on (the fondue we made probably didn't help either...)

I went back and did 30 Day Shred (my regular) and the Banish Fat Boost Metabolism that I have started doing in addition to the Shred every...other day or so...yesterday.

Today I am more sore than normal. Should I take another day off (or do something less intense like yoga), do a little more stretching and power through, or....?

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    cherry juice i hear helps reduce soreness. Like drinking it, not topically applying it. :-D

I read something about ginger too, but I'm not about it unless it's with sushi.
  • boxingsquirrel
    Options
    The best thing to help you not be stiff or sore is to do some light exercise. You don't have to do a full work out but it's good to keep moving.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Less intense unless Super Duper sore! You'll be back on track in no time!
  • tshahady
    tshahady Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I would do something low impact - yoga, stretching, SOMETHING :)
  • Riliye
    Riliye Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I can't say either way for sure, but I recently started the Couch-to-5k running program -- as in tomorrow will be week 1, day 3 -- and after Day 1 I felt like I was going to die. I was so sore I could barely move, but yesterday I powered through it and lo and behold, today I'm hardly sore at all. I can't remember where I saw it, or if it was just geared towards running alone, but I read somewhere that sometimes drinking more water will help with soreness. I don't know what your water consumption is like, so it may or may not help you. I normally drink around 64oz on the average day, but I made sure to get in a little extra yesterday, just to see if it would help. Now I just have to figure out if it's coincidence that I'm not sore anymore, haha!
  • SillySarah
    Options
    So this weekend I had friends in town and skipped my workout for 3 days. I had planned on one of them being a rest day, but the others I just slacked on (the fondue we made probably didn't help either...)

I went back and did 30 Day Shred (my regular) and the Banish Fat Boost Metabolism that I have started doing in addition to the Shred every...other day or so...yesterday.

Today I am more sore than normal. Should I take another day off (or do something less intense like yoga), do a little more stretching and power through, or....?

You could make today an easy day by doing some easy paced walking and mellow yoga. If you're tired and need a rest day, go ahead and take one. Don't sweat it that you didn't do as many workouts as you had planned. Just focus on the here and now and get back on the "horse". There isn't a whole lot you can do to make up for what's already happened besides eating healthy and staying hydrated. What's done is done. You're not a failure.
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    There are two theories to soreness. Some believe rest until you're better enough to work out again while others believe jump right back on the band wagon and continue your daily exercises in spite of soreness. That said, it's normal to be sore after several missed days of exercise. Personally I say dive right back into it or simply do exercises that work other parts of your body while certain sore parts recover.

I leave in two days for an 11-day silent meditation retreat, meaning I'll be sitting for 10 hours each day in meditation with little to no exercise at all. I've been going strong with my exercise these past three weeks to make sure I can withstand the 10 hour sit but I just know I'll be affected psychologically not being able to work out, which in turn will produce anxiety during retreat. Furthermore, I know when I return home and start working out again I'll be extremely sore after that first day. But that's okay. It's just my body telling me it got comfortable doing nothing. Conditioning does not come without soreness; however, it should not come with pain.