A cheat day

Options
I work Monday through Thursday, 10 hour days...so sticking to my goals and calorie intake during those days are super easy. Friday comes, and its a liiiittle difficult, but I manage. Saturday is even harder (esp if I go out) but with some exercise, I can usually keep it below or around my calorie intake allowance. Now...come Sunday, I am usually so fed up with the struggle that I tend to...well not go crazy...but eat worse than any other day. I usually go over my calories, or dont even bother keeping track because I know I will be over. Come Monday I am all set and ready to get "back on track". And thus starts the cycle again...

My Question...is a "cheat day" okay? I have heard that you dont splurge every once and awhile, or have at least one day a week where you eat whatever you want, you will tend to over-indulge too much. So as long as 6 days out of the week I am at or around my calorie allowance, and am eating right...is a one day a week cheat day ok? Or will the last 6 days go down the drain in that one day of slacking off?

Thanks guys!! :-)

Replies

• BigBeaver
    BigBeaver Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Of course a cheat day is okay. You know you are working hard to reach your goals, and it is a struggle. Studies have proven that if you never give in and "cheat" once in awhile on your diet regimen, you will go nuts and totally blow it all together. And I am sure, if you are anything like most people, after your "cheat" day, you bust your butt the rest of the week to make up for it. So yes, have one.
  • bkegurl36
    bkegurl36 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    No I am the same as you! I always myself one day of the week that I do not count calories. I dont go super out of control but I will let myself eat what I want! That is usully the day we have big family parties and I do not want to be concerned with watching my calories! I have heard that it is good to have a cheat day/ meal once a week!
  • Eyvette1
    Eyvette1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My opinion is a "cheat day" is okay as long as you don't overdo it and make smart choices. If you go out and have a double bacon cheeseburger with a large cheese fry and a large shake you are not making good choices. I allow myself to have those days every once in awhile but not to that extreme. I make sure I get what I am craving, like my vice pizza, but I only have 2 slices and order a veggie pizza instead of all the greasy meat. I hope that helps you.
  • hippo_hips
    hippo_hips Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I had a cheat weekend. gained 3 lbs :(
  • Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    you are completely entitled to a cheat day lol, i have one evry wk :D xx
  • judz46
    judz46 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Yep - I have a cheat day every Friday but just try and cut down a bit the next day....can't go without all the good things.
  • KasondraAllen
    Options
    I always do really good during the week while I am at work as well!! Come the weekend I am a little more lax, and if I find that I am not busy or running errands that is when I really cheat! Good luck with your Journey!
  • MissyFit08
    MissyFit08 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I had a cheat weekend. gained 3 lbs :(

haha...that's why you gained 3 lbs...cuz you made a weekend out of it! My cheat days are on Sundays. It's a lazy day anyway and who feels like working out then? Yesterday, I had a looong day. I ate out for Valentines with my hubs, I did not exercise or count calories. When I punched in everything. I was about 650 calories over. Today I watched what I ate, exercised and I am not eating back my calories for today. I probably will tomorrow!! All in all I gained under a pound for my cheat sunday which I KNOW i'll work off this week in addition to more.
  • chach918
    chach918 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much you go overboard. I would suggest not making the whole day a cheat day 't 2 of the 3 meals should be ok. As long as it is not 2000 calorie meals each.
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    I would agree with people who says a cheat day is okay. I am now rethinking my strategies to a cheat meal!

I restricted myself so strict I blew everything I worked so hard for including today and a couple days last week. I have realized I need to allow myself to still enjoy those foods or it results in binge in my case :(
  • jaimelynn913
    Options
    Thanks MPF people!! You guys make me feel so much better, that I know Im not alone!! Great advice. :-)