Need a pick me up

Options
It's a slow day at work so I decided to do some Googling for some weight loss inspiration ideas and I came across some P90x videos. I was sitting here just looking at the before and after photos and feeling inspired by all the folks making changes to their lives.

One of the girls in my office stopped by to chat and noticed the photos. This is someone I thought was my friend both in and out of work. She says, (paraphrased) "P90x? oh you could never do that. I've done it before and it works but you have to be in shape, there is no way you could do it, you probably couldn't even do a chin up" I respond with "I can do a couple chin ups, I've been working out regularly" to which she responds, "I'd like to see that, I really doubt it" and walks off. Now bare in mind this person is a good 60-70 pounds overweight herself and was laughing the other day that she couldn't complete a single fly press over 5lbs.

I'm trying to hold my head up and just brush it off, reminding myself that she's just jealous that I've been getting compliments lately at work from folks noticing I've lost a couple pounds, and my pant size has dropped by 2, but it still pisses me off and I feel so totally deflated right now, I could cry. Who says that to a friend..to anyone?

Replies

• theidarisafa
    Options
    your body and health is nobody else's business.

do NOT even give a 2nd thought to what somebody else in the office thinks about your health.

I will tell you that p90X is extreme. I was 80lbs overweight and did hurt my knee on it.

I bought the less intense p90(older program) and did that. Haven't quite worked my way up to p90x yet.(working out at the gym instead).

I'd say start with p90 classic(old program) with the intention of working your way up to p90X

or join an inexpensive gym.

it's not important where you get the exercise, just as long as you're getting it.
  • dancinblonde0099
    dancinblonde0099 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry someone hurt you like that! That is just horrible! I would bop her one! Don't let her bring you down, take the things she said and proove to yourself that you can loose the weight. Wait until you walk into your office and you are hot and looking good then she will see. Maybe she's just jelous! I've heard p90x is hard but you can do anything you put your mind to! Keep your head up!
  • EDBENAGLIO
    Options
    THERE IS A FINE LINE BETWEEN FRIENDS AND ACQUAINTANCE.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    That stinks! I am so sorry that someone would even say something like that to you! Ugh! I am not exercising regularly yet, but don't let any comments from her or anyone else stop you from trying something new! Keep up the good work!
  • HW2Hottie
    Options
    No one that has any feelings would say that. Its self-loathing for her pure and simple. Humans, especially women, at times can only inflate themselves by deflating others. This is why I have made it a point not to mention my changes to anyone. I let the smaller pants speak for themselves.

Places like MFP, allow us to encourage each other, like right now. Let her wallow in herself for a while. And when she sees you this summer just smile and walk away.

:)
  • NicolCook
    NicolCook Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Please don't let her get you down and discourage you. There are some people out there that say every thought that enters their mind, not keeping in mind that it may hurt someone's feelings. If you are like me, you will just let it eat at you and never say anything. If not, and you have more of a backbone than I do, tell her that what she said was unnecessary and hurtful. Either way, keep up the good work and talk to yourself positively. Prove her WRONG!!! :)
  • dspearsb
    dspearsb Posts: 186
    Options
    Screw her! I think she may be jealous. She sees you trying to do the right thing and it bothers her because she knows she should be trying too. Forget her and keep up the good work! You're better than that!
  • cheangela
    Options
    I have a friend who left work recently because a co-worker/friend type person insisted that she was pregnant.... and when told "no, I just gained weight" she persisted...

People are evil.

Trust yourself and the amazing body you've been given. You would be suprised what it can do if you just let it prove itself ;-). If nothing hurts, keep going... and do not stop.
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    first off no friend would say that. call her an acquaintance (a very jealous and insecure one at that). You are changing your life and if folks aren't there to support you they just may be part of that change. I am a negative person (and I am working on that) but when I log on here I try very hard to make sure I support others like they support me. You are beautiful and if you want the challenge go for it, especially if you know you can stick with it to see the results! <--- I can't but I am amazed at how effective p90x is.
  • Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    ignore her hon she aint worth ur time, energy or breathe she is just an A**hole! keep up ur good work and be the best u can be

best wishes
    Kirstie x
  • bionerdette
    Options
    You nailed it, she was jealous. People say nasty things when they feel threatened and your obvious progress was a threat to her self-esteem. If she ever says, "I'd like to see that" again invite her to the gym with you so you can personally show her how much *kitten* you kick. Turn this around and use it as strong motivation to keep going so when you keep losing pant sizes and keep getting stronger she wont be able to ignore the fact that you have succeeded. I know she was hurtful and mean, but in the long run is she really anyone important to you? I think not.
    Happy Valentine's Day,
    A Fellow Fighter
  • kermode
    Options
    Thank you for the pick me up....it was one of those moments when you know what you SHOULD say but your just so shocked and hurt that you just sit there stunned. Thank you for the support. This site is AWESOME for that.
  • jackieelizabeth
    jackieelizabeth Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    hey girlll :)

I am also sorry that your feelings were hurt, in a world full of different exercisers and body types there always something that can potentially put you down, but plzzz dont forget only you decide if it will or not! check out your accomplishments just reading what youve done so far is inspiring. i am a person with a healthy weight but who never considered myself athletic, i have done P90x many times and anybodyyy can do it! start small, modify the moves, ive seen super active people do those workouts and modify or adjust them as needed. Soo dont let that jealous girl gettcha down, let it motivate you!! give P90x a good try and hold your head high at the office, because nobody in those videos got that was born with that body, they worked for it, you have to start somewhere! and your actions will speak louder than her hurtful words when your showing off killer new curves ;) !!!!
  • jengetsmoving
    jengetsmoving Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhh - I have been there. Even well meaning people can say careless things that are terribly hurtful and demotivating - but this wasn't a well-meaning person. Unfortunately, some people feed their egos by putting other people down. That's not a friend.

My "favourite" stupid remark was said to me when I was over 100lbs overweight: "You joined a gym? Really? Can you get out of the contract? Cause seriously, you won't be interested in going for very long. Really." That one crushed my fragile spirit at the time and I DID give up. And I was angry with myself every day. Mad that I had let someone else's careless remark scare me away from my dream to be fit, mad that my resolve was so easily crushed, and mad that I was still fat and not doing anything about it.

I did eventually get back to the gym, happily. Found the ability to say "sorry, I can't think like that" and walk away from any nay-sayers that crossed my path. Two years later, I'm down to the last 36 lbs and lead a significantly more healthy, active and FUN life. Never been happier.

P90X? Of course you can do it. You can do ANYTHING you want to. Look at how far you're come already!

Dream of what your own "after" pic will look like, surround yourself with the positive people who cheer you on, ditch the frenemies, and celebrate every single milestone you accomplish. The best revenge will be looking fabulous this summer and showing off your hard-earned muscles :-)